Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:40:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Yesterday at 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIR Replay helper tool  (Read 45234 times)
VanOwen Offline
Donator

« on: April 10, 2011, 09:15:32 am »

I posted this in another thread but figured that it would be easier for new folks to find it here.

I have created a tool that will automatically collect your replay files and place them into a zip file in the same folder where the tool is.  This tool will also place any saved .rec and .sga file passed to it (or a zip file with them in it) to the right folders.

This is a tool I made in perl and then made into a Windows EXE.  People can run the tool without having to install anything extra.  I would recommend to the devs to add a similar logic/tool to the launcher to help people save their replays easily or automatically.

Usage:
1. Double-click the EXE file to have the tool copy the latest .rec file from the replay folder and the EuropeInRuins.sga file.  The tool will take the 2 files and zip them both up into a zip file in the local directory.  The zip file will contain a timestamp in file name to make sorting the easy.
2. Drag a zip file onto the EXE that contains a .rec and an EuropeInRuins.sga file.  The tool will extract the files from the zip and place the .rec and the .sga file into the right folders automatically.  Then just fire up the replay.
3. Drag a  .rec and an EuropeInRuins.sga file onto the EXE.  The tool will place the supplied files into the right folders automatically.  Then just fire up the replay.

The attached zip file has the following password on it:
eir

The zip file on the link also includes the source code (in perl) for people that want to review it.

NOTE: Your local anti-virus software may need an exception for this.  I hand wrote this so I can vouch that its clean however, my local virus protection software needed an exception for it to allow it to play with zip files.  Be aware that you might need to do so as well.

BUGS:  Every program has bugs or improvements that make sense.  Please make sure to let me know if you spot and bugs or if you have a good suggestion.  Remember that the tool will make a log of whats its up to.  Since I can't test all possible installation types, make sure to note your environment and what the log states if you see problems.

The forums for some reason, thinks that the file is too big so I can't upload it.  The zip file is about 1,100 KB and I have uploaded it to filefront instead.
Version 2.3:
EIRReplayHelper 2.3.zip

Updated Link on 5/1/2011.  Version 2.2, updated for filename month bug.
Updated Link on 7/19/2011.  Version 2.3, updated for disc drive logic and OS detection improvements.
Updated Link 9/14/2011
Updated Link 1/3/2012
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:45:16 am by VanOwen » Logged
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:20:30 am »

This is pretty fucking cool!

Good job VOwen! Ill use this often. Cheesy

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Nijo Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:15:27 pm »

it says it is password secrued xD
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:18:21 pm »

it says it is password secrued xD
The attached zip file has the following password on it:
eir

I see that people still dont read the text before downloading something.

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Nijo Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:24:08 pm »

that was a joke dude....

irony doenst work if its wirtten i guess ^^

~NijO~

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »

Right..................... Roll Eyes

hmm i seem to be getting this over and over again nomatter where i place it down.
====================================================================
03\10\2011-18:44:51 - EIR Replay Helper version 2.0
03\10\2011-18:44:51 - Author: VanOwen, 4/8/2011
03\10\2011-18:44:51 - got 0 arguments
03\10\2011-18:44:51 - No arguments specified:  Copying existing EIR replay files
03\10\2011-18:44:51 - Got local user: **hand ¢Ði**
03\10\2011-18:44:51 - Error! No installation of CoH could be found!

could you help me solve this for i would love to be able to be able to save all game files i play just for safe keeping like i did when i started.
just to add i am using Windows 7
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:47:27 pm by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged
VanOwen Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »

Hmmm could be international characters in the paths...  The script was made on a US English machine, so I didn't really test international characters existing in the path names.

The script (if you look at the source) is looking at the potential paths of:

<Drive letter>:\\$userName\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\playback\

Where $userName is (for you) 'hand ¢Ði'.

My guess is that the script can't handle the user name for some reason but, I can't see any obvious reason why it would matter.

Whats the full path to your replay folder?  If I can set up a similar path in my tests hopefully, I can reproduce the problem and fix it.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »

Well My username is actuly Handóði But yea that is probobly the problome.
thanks for that but now i will need to change the username so i can use this programe.
thanks for the help
DasGuntLord01 Offline
Shoutcaster

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

I've said before that since the battle sga and replay file are sufficiently small, and since CoH automatically saves the replay of your last game, the launcher could be made to quite easily upload the replay file a central database.  This would be the dream: the user can head to the "Replays" tab in the launcher and browse a selection of available replays.  The user can filter by game size and duration.  The launcher could recommend certain replays based upon how even the match appeared to be (based on territory, say).  The user can have the option to disable "spoilers".  Finally, the user can give his won reccomendation for the replay if it was sufficiently awsome.

Well, that's the dream...

Now accepting awesome replays for shoutcasting!

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:04:03 am »

Wow that would be awesome.
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:18:54 pm »

thats awsome van o! ill have to give it a go when i get home. and i like das grunts idea too  Grin

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
VanOwen Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 02:28:06 pm »

I like that idea as well.. there a few hitches with it though.

1. You need at least a FTP/File/web server to store all of those files and to pay for the bandwidth of transferring every game.

2. Someone needs to update the Launcher to do additional networking logic and file moves/changes.  This probably not a huge challenge.

3. Someone would need to create a back-end to that file server to display the information on the replays and where to get them.  This is more challenging and you are creating a whole integrated system just for replay files.  Doable.. but is the effort worth it?

3. I am not sure how you can tell specifics of a replay without actually watching it so... that means that a lot of games will either have to be uploaded without useful information about it or... uploaded and then manually watched so that some poor sucker has to go through each one and make notes on it.

I guess that someone could use this tool or remake their own: http://www.dyxtra.com/coh/.  However that is a LOT of time and effort spent just on making replays nicer/easier to watch.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »

I've said before that since the battle sga and replay file are sufficiently small, and since CoH automatically saves the replay of your last game, the launcher could be made to quite easily upload the replay file a central database.  This would be the dream: the user can head to the "Replays" tab in the launcher and browse a selection of available replays.  The user can filter by game size and duration.  The launcher could recommend certain replays based upon how even the match appeared to be (based on territory, say).  The user can have the option to disable "spoilers".  Finally, the user can give his won reccomendation for the replay if it was sufficiently awsome.

Well, that's the dream...
And thats also the plan.

There will however need to be version control - because every time we update the mod .sga files, the replay files end up being in error.  So, the launcher will automatically download / store the different .sga patch versions and swap them on the fly so ALL replays will work no matter what version, or how old they are.

Hope that clears it all up.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 05:01:05 pm »

EIRRMod, you are one heck of a swell guy. Smiley

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
DasGuntLord01 Offline
Shoutcaster

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 07:27:28 pm »

3. I am not sure how you can tell specifics of a replay without actually watching it so... that means that a lot of games will either have to be uploaded without useful information about it or... uploaded and then manually watched so that some poor sucker has to go through each one and make notes on it.

Of course you can't know the specifics, but we can get an idea.  Go look at the intelligence screen in your launcher.  The launcher already knows a great deal of rough (but generally accurate) information about any battle, such as which teams had which territories at which times.  Games that are even until the end, or games that swing wildly back and forth, could be recommended by the system.

Of course this is by no means precise (the game might not actually be terribly exciting) which is why we have the player rating system to compliment (or supersede) the automatic recommendation.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 01:22:29 am »

EIRRMod, you are one heck of a swell guy. Smiley
I really should post a master 'planned list of features' sometime.

This might make some people very very excited tbh.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:30:13 am »

This might make some people very very excited tbh.

Don't get us excited too much.......  Roll Eyes

CollectiveSTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:50 am »

This is an awesome tool, and i'd love to use it buuut....
just tried to run the .EXE and got this error.

====================================================================
03\12\2011-15:50:58 - EIR Replay Helper version 2.0
03\12\2011-15:50:58 - Author: VanOwen, 4/8/2011
03\12\2011-15:50:58 - got 0 arguments
03\12\2011-15:50:58 - No arguments specified:  Copying existing EIR replay files
03\12\2011-15:50:58 - Got local user: ****
03\12\2011-15:50:58 - Error! No installation of CoH could be found!

I clearly have it installed, however i have the steam version. Could it be looking in the wrong place?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:57:00 am by CollectiveSTLS » Logged
VanOwen Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:11 am »

Hmm...

I use steam as well so I doubt thats the problem.

The problem is that the tool can't figure out your local username.

Here is the problem.  (I should add a catch here if this is empty...)
"Got local user: ****"

So the tool uses the command 'whoami' to look to see what version you are on.  For some reason that command didn't return a result to the tool, which in turn couldn't build the right paths for looking up the right folders.

What OS are you running?  32 bit or 64bit?  What happens if you try to run 'whoami' (without the single quotes) on the command line?
RoyalHants Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 09:08:25 am »

Hmm...

Giberish Giberish Giberish
this guys needs to be a dev  Wink

Yeah calbanes, I mean - some people like smokaz are still yet to win a single game, even though they've been around here for years.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc