Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:53:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Guide to N.A.T. and Bridge Mode.  (Read 14637 times)
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 09:39:28 pm »

Pony, could you address this issue please.

3v3 hosted in launcher (6 players)

Get to CoH
5 people join game. 6th guy tries to join, but the error comes up 'joeblow' can not connect to tank130, otherdude1, otherdude2

So we say, hey otherdude1, you try and host = fail
otherdude2 host =  fail
randomfuck1 hosts = fail
randomfuck2 hosts = fail
joeblow hosts = fail

All 6 people try to host. joeblow gets the same error with the same 3 people every time.

I'll address this one.

If Joe blow tries to join and it comes up as "'joeblow' can not connect to tank130, otherdude1, otherdude2" then all four of those people will now be unable to host the game. This is because this means that at all of these people have at least one other person that they can't connect to, and who, will also not be able to connect to them. What you would need in this case is to top that the 5th or 6th person in the game is someone who everyone else can connect to.

But sometimes, this is not the case.

As a recent example, yesterday I was in a 3v3 that had both  Chefartz and XII in them. They both have very problematic connections with a large number of people they each individually can't connect to. Normally if just one of them is in the game, though, there is at least someone they can connect to who can host. But if they are both in the game, oftentimes they have different people they can't connect to which makes it impossible for anyone to host. In this rare perfect storm you have to force the game.

As a better explanation, picture this scenario:

Axis:
UglySori
Wind
SeverFive

Allies:

Rolc
EvilNRG
Bearsoul

1 Severfive hosts the game in COH.

2 Evil, bearsoul, rolc and Uglysori join.

3 Then, when Wind tries to join, the error message "Wind failed to connect to Severfive, Bearsoul and Evil" comes up in the game chat.

4 This means that now either Rolc or Ugly are the only remaining candidates to host as the other 4 players all have at least one person that cant connect to them.

5 So then the group decides that Rolc will host, and he does.

6. Wind joins, bearsoul joins, sever five joins and Uglysori joins

7. Evil tries to join but the error message "EvilNRG failed to connect to Rolc, Wind and bearsoul" comes up.

8. So then Uglysori hosts and it works. Here's a rudimentary table demonstrating why Ugly was able to host succesfully:

X's represent bad connections, O's represent good ones

Ugly Sori   EvilNRG  Rolc  Bearsoul Wind
Ugly Sori                        O        O         O        O

Evil NRG           O                       X        X        X

Rolc                O             X        O        O        O

Bearsoul           O             X       X                  X                

Wind                O            X        O        X        X

All of these people have at least one bad connection with someone that prevents their abillity to host except for Ugly. The result is though, that he can host and each player can successfully join and play the game even though there are numerous other people they can't connect to.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:54:59 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:17:03 am »

So here's a problem:

I have 6112 UDP open. Yet we tried every combination Wind posted, yet we could not get it going and had to force.

That would indicate to me that having 6112 UDP open is not always the solution.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 02:45:33 am »

Yeh i do too tank and still i face the issue or NAT fail.

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
BaronSMASH!!! Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 07:11:21 am »

Yeh i do too tank and still i face the issue or NAT fail.

Can you clarify this post please?
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:52 am »

I went into my Network, into Network infrastructure.
I forwarded Port 6112 and checked UDP.

Still have NAT issue
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 07:59:43 am »

Multiple devices using NAT do decrease the likelyhood of a NAT Traversal success. However, a much simpler and less intrusive solution to the problem is using Port Forwarding, which (if done properly and on each device with NAT enabled) should eliminate the need for any negotiation.

Another thing you should be aware of, there are ISPs (although probably few) that do NAT even sooner, on their own routers.

But most importantly, don't tell people to fuck with their modems on their own. They're quite likely to just break their internet doing so. Not all ISPs work like yours.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:19:42 am by Phil » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 10:14:06 am »

Holy fuck..... you summoned Phil......

/thread
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »

Even with uPnP Port Forwarding enabled on my side as a host we had problems to host sucessfully a 3v3 were our final soloution was to
force the game.

It were always the same two guys who could not join a game which means that their ISP or their network configuration/setup had some problems.
In some cases it's more complex then just open ports and plug'n'pray.

9th Armoured Engineers
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 01:51:23 pm »

The way I tested if 6112 UDP was open was to join basic matches in vCOH. If there are lots of red crosses and you can't connect to them, then the port is closed. If however the port is open you may still see red crosses but if you try join you will be able to. This is how you know if the port is open or not.

Port Forwarding can be a bit tricky. First of all you need your computers internal IP address. Because that's the IP that you need to forward the ports on. Second of all port forwarding via the router interface may not work. It may say the ports are open but they're actually not, even if you used the right IP adress and everything. The solution is to use uPnP to forward ports, which is simple, if you want help, just ask. However I had problems with uPnP too, when I forwarded many ports nothing happened and the changes weren't even permanent. The solution was to open one port. AFAIK you don't need the other ports open.

@Ahnung, check uPnP to see if it really says that the ports are open and that you typed in the correct IP address.

@Tank, check your router interface to see if it says that the ports are open and you typed in the correct IP address.

Check this step first, if it still not working, there may be other things you need to do in order to open ports, like opening the ports on your firewall or disabling it entirely or setting up a static IP address outside of the DHCP range. But likely it's the human error and not your router or ISP.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 02:50:31 pm »

Pony, please stop spreading misinformation. It just causes frustration and wasted time in the launcher. It ends up that everyone blames some poor guy when it may not be his fault or his equipments fault.

My Ports and my IP address are correct and open.

Myself and others have proven to you that your solution is not going to work 100% of the time. It will most likely reduce the number of issues, but you must stop claiming it is the only solution or reason for the issue.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

Tank, I've had four routers, on each one of them once I had opened the ports I had no connection problems. One was really tricky but in the end, it showed results.

What makes you think your computer or router is any different? There could be a lot of things that keep your ports from being open even if it says so in the router interface. It could be the ISP, the Firewall, your AV, your router, the DHCP etc etc.

But it's not a mystery Tank. If you get NAT negotiation error it's because your ports are closed. There is a clear connection. Why else would it say so on every single port forwarding and relic webpage or message forum about NAT or COH port forwarding. Not to mention experience, players who have their ports open do not experience these problems at all.

On my router webpage interface after I port forwarded it said the ports were open. Were they really open? No. Which is why I had trouble connecting to people in game.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:36:16 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 03:45:34 pm »

Pony

What makes you think that your computer, your hardware, you internet connection, your world location is exactly the same as everyone else's and that the solutions to your specific problem are going to be the exact same solution to everyone else's problem?

Your solution did not help the problem I and 5 other dudes encountered in that game, so that means your solution will not work 100% of the time.

This does not make you a lesser person or less likely to succeed in life. It just means that some issues can not be resolved with your solution....... let it go already.....lol
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »

That's were you're wrong. A lot of people who have open ports can testify that they don't have connection problems.

As for the people who claim that they're ports are open and still have connection issues, likely their ports are not open. Just because it says so in your router interface is not proof that they are open. How do I know for example that you know what your internal IP address is? I can't know that, that's why I'm trying to help you.

So don't giving up just because your first attempt to open ports didn't work.

What makes you think that your computer, your hardware, you internet connection, your world location is exactly the same as everyone else's and that the solutions to your specific problem are going to be the exact same solution to everyone else's problem?

I don't know that, but I know that NAT and port forwarding are linked together and by opening your ports you can avoid connection problems. The solution is always to open your ports, there is no dispute over that. However, it's not always easy to do so. Your firewall for example could block them and prevent them from being open. That's why I'm trying to help you.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:59:38 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »

Thanks for the help, but I do not need it.

I had the issue once, with that specific combination of players. We forced, re hosted and everything was fine
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:03 am »

Can someone explain why this is stickied?

The original poster has no idea how Relic connections work and his misinformation is just going to cause more problems for inexperienced players who come to this forum.

chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 11:43:05 am »

haahahah "double nat" made me smile.
Btw the theres no thing as "relic connections".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:00:34 pm by chefarzt » Logged

This community is full of a bunch of mindless idiots with memories like two year olds.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/ShitGlitter?ref=l2-shop-header-avatar
I'm not sure what you're so defensive about Tank.
 he makes shab look like a princess giving food to the poor.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »

haahahah "double nat" made me smile.
Btw the theres no thing as "relic connections".

Yes there is. It a term used to describe how players connect to eachother and to games on the Relic server
chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »

Im too drunk to explain it, but plz, just keep playing ur guitar.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »

Im too drunk to explain it, but plz, just keep playing ur guitar.

Chef explaining how the Relic server works is like a drunk monkey from instanbul trying to explain quantum physics
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »

Chef explaining how the Relic server works is like a drunk monkey from instanbul trying to explain quantum physics

yea cacao

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc