Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:58:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIR:R: Any interest in maps that are not a cookie cutter design?  (Read 15825 times)
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« on: May 20, 2013, 10:07:04 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but I am bored out of my mind with most maps these days. I already know where everyone will setup, what the general strat is (outside crazy gimmicks), and knowing how the game will flow for the most part.

Maybe it's just me, but it's getting boring.

This is not a jibe at Skaffa or any other mapper, Neuville and Forest are fine maps, however, it's like I'm playing the same match no matter who it's against over and over, with the same starting spots and end spots, the same strats, etc. And while his formula for an EIRR map is pretty spot on to what people like (predictable and playing to all company types in a relatively mirrored environment) and it is a good baseline, I'm just not interested in those kinds of maps anymore.

I also don't want to waste the spare time I do have on a random unplayed map because it doesn't fit the generic map setup and people get upset because their unadjusted build doesn't work as well or someone elses works better.

Maybe I'm just crazy for looking for something besides a 4-5 sector wide front line that moves forwards and backwards. I dunno, let me know if there is any interest.

hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:28 am »

well maybe neuville and forest are being played every second match?

100 times played neuville

75 times played forest

rest are 15 % or less?

Also, bad analogy ground, My vegetables never pissed on my ego when I decided they defeated me and gave up on dessert.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:32 am »

Do not waste your time on building maps - truly.

There are a number of good maps in the roster, but one look at the map list will tell you people just play the same old shit for exactly the reasons you just stated:

the same starting spots and end spots, the same strats, etc.

The majority of players in the mod only care about the simple, easy path to a win. Any thought required to play in a new environment is beyond their scope.

Just stamp Nueville, change the buildings and atmosphere. That is the only hope you will have of getting your map played on a larger volume.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:15:04 am »

Urban maps ftw.

Everybody is shit scared of PIAT's and Stickies though.

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:15:45 am »

Do not waste your time on building maps - truly.

There are a number of good maps in the roster, but one look at the map list will tell you people just play the same old shit for exactly the reasons you just stated:

The majority of players in the mod only care about the simple, easy path to a win. Any thought required to play in a new environment is beyond their scope.

Just stamp Nueville, change the buildings and atmosphere. That is the only hope you will have of getting your map played on a larger volume.

this! tbh. Dont waste time to make new maps AmPM.
clonetroopers Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:48 am »

No wonder Wind loves villers
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:32 am »

Urban maps ftw.

Everybody is shit scared of PIAT's and Stickies though.

What I really want to do, is a semi-objective based.

A ruined town with bridge leading offmap centered along one long map edge, it has smaller but more numerous sectors. A natural objective point for territories. Out side of that sectors radiate outward one more layer, representing the surroundings. Farther out a more normal sector layout that allows the area to be cut off from supply.

I'll probably make it anyway, as an exercise to get back into the flow of maps.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:30:57 am »

People like variety too, Neuville and Forest just happen to be the best maps and there are very few competitors.

PS: play my new map Bretonneux.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:45:47 am »

So, lets have a contest!  Grin

What say you lads? 1000 gold and reward unit of your choosing for the NEW best map?

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:02 am »

Play Monte Cassino and Deserted Village.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:55 am »

needs more french countryside.

Also, I seem to be the only one trying to promote play on some of the lesser-used maps sadly.

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:34 am »

Monte is about the same Skaffa, it only really plays one way.

Again, not bad maps, just getting boring.

Groundfire, that sounds like fun. Though I'm not sure that it will promote anything really "new" at least we might end up with another couple maps to play.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:43 am »

fuckyea time to go steal a map and claim it as my own

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
Tachibana Offline
NotADev

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »

Villers-bocage all day 'erday

It's like saying "i can understand his concerns that fire breathing dragons live in far away lands"
americans dont dodge wars.
Quote from: Trapfabricator
Literally, The only thing less likely than this is zombie hitler becoming prime minister of israel
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 01:06:31 pm »

No wonder Wind loves villers

One day the EiR masses will come to realize dense urban dog fights are the best maps. One day!

Long live the villers resistance!

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »

Villers Bocage is one of my favourite maps tbh.

Love tank combat especially in towns, but you get a lot of complaints that micro becomes difficult.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 01:25:29 pm »

l2GTA1visiononcitiesmayne
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »

*shrug* I avoid most maps for two simple reasons:

1. Pathing is so fucking horrible to the point of being (nearly) unplayable. Good old Crossroads and Lanteville are excellent examples of that, with Lanteville being the FAR greater offender.

2. The entire map can be shut down by 2 HMGs. If this is the case, then the game is just a boring grindfest of who has more muscle. Micro, tactics, strategy - that doesn't matter anymore. It's just literally "does my rock beat your scisors?" - and fuuuuck that.

XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 07:00:18 pm »

The one biggest gripe most have over urban maps is the arty/offmap cluster fuck they become in 3v3 4v4s.

Try to escap a v1 or creeping on villers bocage,
Ain't gon happen mang.

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 07:06:48 pm »

Standard varieties of artillery are pretty tolerable on urban maps considering the large amount of buildings to use as direct cover.

Creeping barrages and offmaps though... Well, they are a pain in the ass in whichever patch of dirt you want to fight over lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc