Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:06:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 16, 2024, 09:46:19 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIR:R: Any interest in maps that are not a cookie cutter design?  (Read 15904 times)
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 08:28:45 pm »

I think the best compromise of urban maps is that they still need to have areas of flanking on the sides, so that gameplay dosent stagnate into trench warfare.

Villers bocage is pretty close to allowing that, with a few minor adjustments I think it could become the "neu ville"

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »

I think the best compromise of urban maps is that they still need to have areas of flanking on the sides, so that gameplay dosent stagnate into trench warfare.

Villers bocage is pretty close to allowing that, with a few minor adjustments I think it could become the "neu ville"

4v4 Bredrin is exactly that, yet it has 3 plays since the reset......

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:12 pm »

just played bed reddin tonight.

Wasnt a fan of the map. The houses are a little to close together width wise and length wise. i suggest moving slightly. other then that i did like the flanking.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »

Bredrin really does not have flanking capacity to be honest with you.

Source: I could safely put up 4 25 pdrs near our front line which meant the only way to kill them was to punch straight through.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 12:57:53 am »

There's plenty of 'different' maps out there, but people simply don't want to play them...
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:20 am »

There's plenty of 'different' maps out there, but people simply don't want to play them...
I'm pretty sure every maps been hit up atleast once.

Problem is if its not skaffa certified no one touches it, because it forces them to adjust and people are lazy
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:08 am »

There aren't plenty of different maps, there are quality maps and then there are one sided sub-par maps with issues preventing them from being played in any larger scale.

Tanteville - Single front map, no/very limited cover for infantry.
Bocage - No open areas around the middle, too many chokepoints means artillery spam fest
D-day - No open areas around the middle, too many chokepoints
Egletons - No way to turn off snowfall (should be optional weather), cars block pathing on roads, not enough cover for infantry
Falaise - Single front map, pathfinding issues near the middle
Abbeville - Single front map, too many chokepoints on the right side of the map, otherwise good map
6P_FRANCE1944 - Limited movement because of heightmap issues in the middle and randomly placed hedges on the right side
Adaire - Too cluttered/limited movement or pathfinding issues
Chateau - Big area around the middle tends to create a single front, otherwise good map
St Come Du Mont - Excess amount of hedges, especially close to spawn area, otherwise good map
Monte Cassino - I think people just dislike the big trench in the middle, it tends to get a bit stale, otherwise good map

Aside from the three last maps and Abbeville, they all have issues that break the flow of gameplay or creates imbalance. It's not fun to lose just because you played a really one sided map with no variation that caters to specific company or a map where it's impossible to advance past a specific point.

Then there are maps that are so bad that you can't play them at all. Like radiostation and graveyard, they are basically just one big open field. Very far from relic quality.

Problem is if its not skaffa certified no one touches it, because it forces them to adjust and people are lazy

You can't adjust to maps since you don't know beforehand which map it's going to be.

Having the launcher select the map before the game starts so that everyone is prepared to play on the map would improve a variation in maps being played but arguably it would just create games where the team who exploits the map the most wins, since most maps are extremely linear.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:06:04 am by PonySlaystation » Logged

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:01 am »

LOL  @ Pony
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 11:27:40 am »

Snippedy

i agree with you on most parts exept adaire and tante, adaire as the pathing was updated to be pretty smooth but its admittedly way too clutterd and combat is generally only on 1 flank as people dont really want to go into the clutter and be suprised by an ATG and tante does have the habit of sticking to a single line of combat but atleast you can flank with ease on that map and shift the combat away from  the current mainline by just moving a little to the left or right.

Also, dont forget the bloom on Falaise.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:30:26 am by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:00 am »

While I'm not going to go into detail on every map you've listed. EiRR is a team game and is supposed to be played as such.

Saying a maps right side has too many chokepoints isn't very accurate. The Mapper probably intended it that way. It has a similar effect that towns have on gameplay. It's harder to move tanks through there and a smaller more appropriate force can hold off larger pushes with ease. Thus freeing up population to use in the wider more Tank friendly areas.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:52 am »

Saying a maps right side has too many chokepoints isn't very accurate. The Mapper probably intended it that way.

just because the mapper intended on something dosent mean that its a good idea, i am not gonna play a map that lacks cover if im running a infantry company and im not gonna play on a map that is terrible vehicle micro if im running a mobile coy, this applys the same way why skaffas maps are so popular is because they fit every playstile and granted they may be dull as fuck but nomatter what you are running you can atleast use your company to support your teammates while terrible maps that go after the mappers vision where he wants to see mostly infantry combat is never gonna be played unless in a scenario, that is because of terrible setup and shotblockers fucking up anything from a 88 to PE coys, for example Ardennes forrest(whatever the map was called, the map ground made) where the map was just a pure clusterfuck for any mobile coy while on the scenario that fraggers set up where infantry was the main unit it was ok.

This applies the same way video games are made, just because the developer invisions his game a specific way doesn't mean its gonna be good, for example "too Human".
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:56:45 am by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:35 am »

You missed entirely what I was saying.

A map as a whole can be perfectly balanced. It just might be laid out differently.

If you're running an Infantry company don't go to the very open and spare left side. Talk to your team and say "Hey this ground doesn't play to my strengths" and change it up.

Obviously if a Map is built strictly for Tank combat it's gonna suck to play as an infantry guy. But thats not the case I'm talking about here. In that case, yes it's a bad map.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »

Saying a maps right side has too many chokepoints isn't very accurate. The Mapper probably intended it that way. It has a similar effect that towns have on gameplay. It's harder to move tanks through there and a smaller more appropriate force can hold off larger pushes with ease. Thus freeing up population to use in the wider more Tank friendly areas.

Bocage and D-Day have chokepoints everywhere. As for Abbeville, yes it's a very minor concern.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:21:36 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »

Bocage and D-Day have chokepoints everywhere. As for Abbeville, yes it's a very minor concern.

You are doing it wrong........

If you rush all your shit in a big blob like most people do on Nueville, you will feel like there are too many choke points in D-Day.

D-Day has 4 main lanes of advance. It is impossible to "Lock down" all four points at the same time. Let me rephrase that - if you have allowed your enemy to have enough pop to lock down all 4 lanes - you are doing it wrong and no map is going to save you.

Nueville has 3 lanes of advance. Here's how most people play it
Step 1: advance all your army down right side.
Step 2: meet opposition there, so fight it head on until all your shit is gone
Step 3: advance all your army through city center.
Step 4: meet opposition there, so fight it head on until all your shit is gone
Step 5: advance all your army through left side.
Step 6: meet opposition there, so fight it head on until all your shit is gone
Step 7: Repeat steps 1 to 6

That's why the map is so popular. Most of this community just mashes all their shit together head on and calls it strategy...LOL
The moment they need ot think ahead or (heaven forbid) have to shift click to micro their tank, they say the map sucks.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »

My favorite complaint has always been, "The streets are narrow so it makes it hard to move my tank in there!", well, no shit...it's a narrow street and tanks can be rather large.

Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:29 pm »

The moment they need ot think ahead or (heaven forbid) have to shift click to micro their tank, they say the map sucks.

I would point out that some (not all) of EiRR's urban maps have terrible pathfinding jobs, and sometimes can be cluttered. That being said, I would personally prefer urban maps, the standard rural countryside fields and haybales gets monotonous and annoying very quickly.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:39:47 pm by Vermillion_Hawk » Logged

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 03:39:40 pm »

I'm going to be working on a map, it will contain a ruined urban area, it will be realistic in layout. Some units may do better in it than others. However there will be a large flanking area.

Looking at doing a few sectors in the ruins of the town that will be balanced by holding more of the open area. Obviously it's better to hold the town and some of the open area and you will be required to defend the line of territory heading back to your spawn unless you want to be cutoff and lose the town sectors.

Should be interesting if I can pull it off...it's been a long time since I did any mapping though. To the pen and paper sketches!!
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 03:47:37 pm »

What I mean is that D-Day and Bocage don't have enough open areas.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »

What I mean is that D-Day and Bocage don't have enough open areas.

Open space for what? Blobbing your army together?
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:24 pm »

To use support weapons.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc