Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:09:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue Starting Launcher  (Read 7981 times)
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« on: November 09, 2018, 11:33:14 am »

Hey everyone,

I've managed to play two games, however I need to reinstall and game and the launcher every time I reset my computer in order to get the launcher to work. I've disabled every firewall and this keeps happening. I might come back if there is a more efficient way to play, like the Steam version, but this has been pretty disappointing.

Good luck with everything y'all, you seem like a cool bunch of guys, and thanks for helping me get it to work when it did in the first place, Volsky, Dire, and Unkn0wn.
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »

By any chance run Avast?
For me the anti virus put the eirlauncher.exe and one of the eir  .sga files into quarantine, can't remember which ones but either putting it into the authorised files in the settings fixed it for the most part, but sadly sometimes I was forced to delete the file and then run the launcher again to download the missing file, and then run steam cache verification on coh to get the file back. That or run the specific  files in max admin mode witch also didn't always work.

I don't recommend disabling the anti virus as that's a bad idea.
I think it has to do with changing some register keys without some company certifications when doing it on Windows 8 and 10 but never on Windows 7.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:23:36 pm by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:18:35 am »

So you're saying you play a game and then the next day you try and open the launcher and it won't run? Or what's the exact issue? Is it the launcher or the autoupdater? Have you tried just running the launcher without the autoupdater?

Sorry to hear this is proving so difficult. Sounds like a really weird problem, as usually once people get it to work it will continue working
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:39:54 pm »

Hey, I noticed that I was getting a CreateProcess Failed Code 740 error when I would run the setup executable downloaded here from the website, so I set the installation to have administrator permissions, and I also disabled user account controls. One or the other, or potentially both of these, have now made it possible to restart my computer and successfully run the EIRRClient directly from the AutoUpdater.
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 03:01:32 pm »

I'm once again having the same problem. I reinstalled COH and EIRR, opened the ports, allowed firewall permissions, installed and launched as administrator, and still both the AutoUpdater and the Launcher crash when attempting to run them. The AutoUpdater installs all of the files and then crashes when the Launch button is clicked, while the Launcher crashes immediately when activated.
Bear Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 01:38:12 am »

Have you ever tried Windows Compatibility Mode for Windows XP?

Which OS do you actually use?

Try it with the NetFxRepairTool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Update:
http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?topic=29020.msg501209#msg501209
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:41:40 am by Bear » Logged

Brothers stand tall!

Erst die Heimat, dann die Ferne.
Erst die Erde, dann die Sterne.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:04:12 am »

Did you manage to fix this, Chetnik?

I'm a bit surprised you have this issue coming back after a while. Did you change anything in your COH or EIR folder that might have caused it to? I also don't think you need to reinstall COH when this issue occurs. Usually just a reinstallation of the eir files should suffice

As bear mentioned, make sure you have the .net files and XNA
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:19:38 pm »

Hey man, no I didn't fix it, having tried Bear's suggestions as well. I'll give it another go this coming week and then I'll keep everything installed and troubleshoot from there if the problem keeps persisting.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 09:21:14 am »

its dat new guy who immediatatly identified Area as a sucker? If so, help him figure it out with launcher issues. I like this guy already

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
TheArea Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:43 am »

its dat new guy who immediatatly identified Area as a sucker? If so, help him figure it out with launcher issues. I like this guy already

I got your sucker right here.
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:58:07 pm »

Last night I reinstalled everything and the launcher worked right away. When I closed the launcher and restarted it, it stopped working. Today I reinstalled everything again and it didn't work, then I ran the .Net repair tool and the framework redistributable refresh, un-installed everything, and reinstalled it, but it didn't work.  I then deleted all files related to steam and to EIRR by doing a search of my hard drive, and also deleted all temporary files, then I restarted my router and computer, reinstalled again, but it didn't work.
Bear Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 01:34:55 am »

Last night I reinstalled everything and the launcher worked right away. When I closed the launcher and restarted it, it stopped working. Today I reinstalled everything again and it didn't work, then I ran the .Net repair tool and the framework redistributable refresh, un-installed everything, and reinstalled it, but it didn't work.  I then deleted all files related to steam and to EIRR by doing a search of my hard drive, and also deleted all temporary files, then I restarted my router and computer, reinstalled again, but it didn't work.

Krass!
It seams your PC doesnt like EIR. I play EIR now since 2011 and in this years I had 4 Times Problems with the Launcher but all was fixed in at least 2 - 3 hours...
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 07:43:59 am »

Is it the autoupdater crashing or the launcher? Not quite sure why it would work at one point and then simply stop working at another.

Can you also try downloading this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:46:22 am by Unkn0wn » Logged
Batgirl Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53:38 pm »

Sure sounds like some cleanup program deleting something from eirr - do you have any antivirus or clean up programs in use?
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 05:02:52 pm »

I just applied those downloads you posted, Unkn0wn, and then I deleted everything including Steam and did a full reboot then reinstall, but this time it didn't work again. It's the same issue that those other guys are mentioning where the files are up to date and the launcher crashes by saying its not responding, and this comes up when trying just the launcher without the updater.

Edit: I also put the launcher, updater, and EIRR itself on allowed programs for firewall, as well as tried with disabled firewalls. I don't have a software cleanup program installed.
ChetnikVoyvoda Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 03:17:22 pm »

Sorry for this double post. Anyway, my studies in installation have come to bear fruit! I specifically right clicked on the download link here on the site and selected 'Save link as...', then saved it onto my desktop. When I right clicked and went to Properties before activating it, at the bottom of the pop-up it said something along the lines of "This file came from another computer so parts of it may be protected/ removed to secure this computer". There was a box to click to verify the file and I selected it before also setting the download to Run as administrator. Following the download, I clicked launch directly from the AutoUpdater pop-up and the launcher started successfully! Now I will attempt to keep it open as long as possible out of anticipation that it may not work again if I close it, so bear with me if my profile is a launcher ghost Smiley
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:16 am »

Cheesy glad to hear. i must say i really admire your perseverance. I hope it continues working now, and then perhaps this can serve as a useful guide for other new players who are experiencing similar issues. This is definitely something we need to take note of if we want to have any luck of keeping new players in the mod!

Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »

Sorry for this double post. Anyway, my studies in installation have come to bear fruit! I specifically right clicked on the download link here on the site and selected 'Save link as...', then saved it onto my desktop. When I right clicked and went to Properties before activating it, at the bottom of the pop-up it said something along the lines of "This file came from another computer so parts of it may be protected/ removed to secure this computer". There was a box to click to verify the file and I selected it before also setting the download to Run as administrator. Following the download, I clicked launch directly from the AutoUpdater pop-up and the launcher started successfully! Now I will attempt to keep it open as long as possible out of anticipation that it may not work again if I close it, so bear with me if my profile is a launcher ghost Smiley

My man. Now i see why he dislikes Area, Chetnik guy do not surender that fast! Lolo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc