Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:41:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attn: Duck - Balance suggestions for Venue  (Read 11957 times)
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: February 22, 2009, 09:14:23 pm »

I notice that the map is easily held by the axis if they are on the "Defensive" mission because you can seal off the alternative routes with tank traps + sandbag and just camp in the town.

You will require heavy artillery support or satchels/crocs + bulldozer to break through the alternative routes and with its narrowness and buildings covering it... a respond force can arrive rapidly as well as your assaulting force being "filtered" into a thin alley. MG + ATG fire = death.

If this is your intention for the design of the map, then I'll say it is not advisable to play defence/offence missions on it. If it isn't, please widen the route.

Apart from that, general layout of the town is very good. Spacious enough for skirmishing and good alternative assault routes... provided they are not blocked up already.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »

personally, i think its the same both ways. I've held the town well vs two wehr and a pe/wehr team. You just have to have the engineers to do it and artillery....allies always need artillery on that map.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »

personally, i think its the same both ways. I've held the town well vs two wehr and a pe/wehr team. You just have to have the engineers to do it and artillery....allies always need artillery on that map.

I believe the allies won't have that problem due to the availability of heavy crush for the axis... which makes less attention than the allied solutions.

Tank traps has always been a better solution for the axis than the allies to deter tanks.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:58:31 pm »

I believe the allies won't have that problem due to the availability of heavy crush for the axis... which makes less attention than the allied solutions.

Tank traps has always been a better solution for the axis than the allies to deter tanks.

true true...just bring on a panther lol. can you put demo's on tank traps and blow 'em away?
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:04:02 pm »

true true...just bring on a panther lol. can you put demo's on tank traps and blow 'em away?

The solutions for clearing tank traps as it is... from the slowest order;

1. Infantry based AT (schrecks, RRs etc.)
2. Medium Tanks fire (Sherman, Pz4, Cromwell)
3. Heavy tanks fire (why would you want to shoot when you can crush? Mines? Heh)
4. On map Arty
5. Offmap Artillery (Which may miss from time to time)
6. Satchel (AB), Goliath
7. Heavy Crush

To my knowledge, you can't demo charge it but you can place a mine really really close to the tank trap such that most players will roll over the TT to crush it and hit the mine.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:16:45 pm »

haha, i do do that. I put mines underneath tank traps just for heavy tanks Cheesy
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:39 am »

Yeah the map is a bit too easy to camp on offense/defense mode.  Also, it needs some height mapping on the roads.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:25:24 pm »

Hmmm... I missed with part. I get to work on it on Firday.

The map is made for R+ Mode (ex: RtC is not good for R+ due the town is much much closer to the top player)

I see how Setting  up Defense can be a problem, but remember the map is quite open if you think about it, The buildings can be towrn down and you can avoid the town. But I take a look and add some hight and take a look
Cheers for feedback, love you  Smiley

^<-- Duck ™ and ©

We need more axis players!:
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:27:49 am »

The map is made for R+ Mode (ex: RtC is not good for R+ due the town is much much closer to the top player)

It works fine on R+. Closeness of town to which player DOESN'T MATTER. All maps are different and have their own tactical advantage to securing so-and-so position. a 10 metre - 20 metre closer in vcoh terms is not as game changing as having an excellent strategy.

I see how Setting  up Defense can be a problem, but remember the map is quite open if you think about it, The buildings can be towrn down and you can avoid the town. But I take a look and add some hight and take a look
Cheers for feedback, love you  Smiley

Its how offence is a problem. Your map as mentioned before is fine and fantastic only in the middle section. I mentioned it has alot of alternatives to fight around the town.... ONLY IF you are able to get through the two narrow openings.

The two narrow corridors are situated about 70% +/- 5% down of the map, which is not within range of spawn artillery which gives ample time to lock down. This is the only problem so far.

Everything else requires brains & tactics to win. I see that you used a very "vcoh" style of mapping of having similar layout but different scenary/buildings to give variety... while good for balance, its not always necessary. Still its a good job.
Schultz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:11:06 am »

I really like this map on R mode!

I think its church that really needs more love duck, all those hedges and scarcity of detail and buildings. It could be a lot better.
Need to open it up more.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:01 am »

I dislike the size of the forest flanks, if you could enlarge these it would be great. And add some posts or sandbags inside them, so there can be some firefights. Right now people just heavily mine these or completely cut them off.

Basically the map has an enormous slippery slope, once you get kicked out of town its GG. Also you should seriously consider to make some of the flank sectors smaller. Its so easy to starve the other team on this map.

Make the "forest corridors" broader and add some cover inside of them
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:59:18 am by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Schultz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 03:22:30 am »

Its because of flank sectors that you can survive fighting for the town. Maybe limit the forests a little, but not the flanks. If you take out the flanks it will be rtc.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:12:46 am »

I really don't like this map, it shouldn't 'just' be playable in R+ mode. And honestly, even in R+ mode it's pretty borked as the players on the left get the two most important buildings of the game first, where as players on the right get mainly damaged/broken buildings.

The forest takes up like half your map, that little forest lane that you made is a joke as all it takes is an mg + pak to cover it and effectively block it off. (Not to mention tank trap/wire will do the job as well). Basically this means that your map is more narrow than RTC, which is a big no no, especially when on top of that there's 2 buildings on the map that can pretty much cover the entire width.
Mysthalin_Axis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:06 am »

I prefer playing this than RTC to be honest Wink.
Even after losing the town, you can still reconquer it with decent tactics, and be pushed out with them as well. Heck, we've been pushed out by a Tiger Ace, but managed to kill it, and then survive an ostwind + KT + P4 as well.. And we were on the "underpowered" right side as well Smiley.
I love this map.
Ghost Town uber alles tho.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:35:12 am »

Play against equal footed or better players on it.
Mysthalin_Axis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:36:49 am »

I wasnt playing vs nubs mate Wink.
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »

And honestly, even in R+ mode it's pretty borked as the players on the left get the two most important buildings of the game first, where as players on the right get mainly damaged/broken buildings.

Its quite alright. Buildings are rather superficial if you ask me. There are so many opportunities to go around them!

The forest takes up like half your map, that little forest lane that you made is a joke as all it takes is an mg + pak to cover it and effectively block it off. (Not to mention tank trap/wire will do the job as well).

Sandbag + Tanktrap kill its. The big blobs of "grove" could use work.

Basically this means that your map is more narrow than RTC, which is a big no no, especially when on top of that there's 2 buildings on the map that can pretty much cover the entire width.

The difference between his map and yours is that you can take a flanking routes and move a good distance up to hit them from the rear... which cannot be done in RTC. The only problem is that the flanks must remain open.
tippy456 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:53:20 pm »

what it kinda sounds like is point du hoc for vanilla coh open flanks at the hqs
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:31 pm »

AT guns can kill TT's too.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:50 pm »

Ok, after reading this

I gona do:

1. Make the forest gaps on both sides wider
2. Fix the buildings in the town (More balance)
3. Fix some hights
4. Add some blocking trees here and there (Groves of trees)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc