Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:19:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Artillery  (Read 12207 times)
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 05:21:16 pm »

edited b/c brn4meplz edited his post
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:23:16 pm by Groundfire » Logged

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 05:24:52 pm »

ha ha sorry groundifre, guess i didn't catch it fast enough. I could re write it if you'd like but yes it is a vicious cycle

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Khorney Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 05:33:50 pm »

just because axis players buy tigers instead of nebels/stukas doesn't mean they have less arty...in fact, their artillery is considerably cheaper as well (stuka is what ~200mp/~200fuel, compared to 600MP/450fu calliope). fight fire with fire perhaps? (literally in this case =P)
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 05:57:53 pm »

naw its cool. it was just a comment with no substance really
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 07:00:47 pm »

I like the idea that each arty piece has a limited number of uses, I think I like that idea better then buying uses. I think anything that makes the game a bit more tactical is a good thing. You will be pressed to use your uses since the quicker you use them the quicker you get the unit from taking up pop cap. is it worth having this unit on the field for an extra 10 minutes hoping you'll get a good chance to use it's last barrage, or should you use it and pull it off and bring something else on?

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »

i think im going to go armor again, get a callie and just piss people off some more Cheesy especailly since i'm seeing so many hummel's lately.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:34 pm »

I love killing Calli's, trap them between a couple ACs while they retreat and Marder them good.

Leafedge Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 09:12:21 pm »

Yes, people. Whine the artillery away. Being forced to actually kill enemy units is in no way the point of battle or this game in any way. It has nothing to do with tactics. We should take killing enemy units completely out of the game. It just isn't tactical enough!

You can't kill the arty because you have no tactical abilities, so by whining at it now, you won't have to deal with it later, just like killing it! See? It's tactical!
gamesguy1 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:51 pm »

Yes, people. Whine the artillery away. Being forced to actually kill enemy units is in no way the point of battle or this game in any way. It has nothing to do with tactics. We should take killing enemy units completely out of the game. It just isn't tactical enough!

You can't kill the arty because you have no tactical abilities, so by whining at it now, you won't have to deal with it later, just like killing it! See? It's tactical!

This but with less flaming  Cheesy

Artillery is very tactical.  You know what takes no tactics?  Building a doomfort.  I've done it, everyone has done it, axis factions are especially good at it.   With the gross superiority of axis mortars and practical invulnerability of the mortar HT atm, there is absolutely no way you can nerf heavy onmap arty like howitzers without wrecking the balance.

As it is the only chance of killing a mortar HT is hope the PE player isn't paying attention and let your incredibly loud and inaccurate howitzer hit his HT multiple times, it usually takes several barrages too.

Same thing goes for the Brits.   The nebel is an awesome weapon against tommy blobs atm, without it it would be rather...difficult try and kill tommy blobs that can charge garrisoned MGs and kill it with riflenades and backed up by An American ally or reinforcement package with 57mms.

And how would you kill a defended 88 position without arty?   As it stands you could spend 5+ barrages on it with a howitzers and only decrew it a couple of times.  And without arty paks become even more insanely good.  The primary way to kill a pak atm is with a calliope. 

Arty is often stationary and in no way invulnerable.  I have an M10 I dubbed the "hummel killer", its killed a hummel every single time I ran into one so far.   For axis you can do the same with a clown car and some shreks.  FFS I've killed 25 pounders and howitzers on foot with some dual shreks and lots of sneaking around and avoiding engagements.  Is it really that hard to sneak around the edge of the map and kill an arty piece that typically dies too fast for your opponent to reinforce?    The only semi-exception is the callope, which is a problem with the calliope than onmap arty in general.   Just decrease its speed to the same as priest/hummel and decrease price a little.

EDIT:

Not only is this idea terrible, its also impossible to implement and balance.   Weapon uses are tied to the crew, not the weapon.  This is why when you decrew a 57mm you no longer get AP shells after you recrew, same with the 30cal.  It is impossible to make uses of a special ability with limited counts tied to the weapon and not the crew.

So what would happen if this gets implemented?  I would drive a mortar HT up and incendiary shell my opponent's howitzer/25lber.  It would get decrewed, and all the uses would dissapear instantly.

So not only is this idea terrible, its impossible to implement and balance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:30:02 pm by gamesguy1 » Logged
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »

ooh...gamesguy ftw
MannfredvonRitter Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 09:43:44 pm »

I had hoped to have a civil discussion on the topic and just see how people think, but people can't help but flame, incite irritation and just in general be jerks (this doesn't apply to everyone in this thread).

Thread locked.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc