Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:33:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adaire - Map Beta Test  (Read 15697 times)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »

Changes made - link updated

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:27 am »

Played the map tank. now i know you dislike me fery much but i hope you change some things on the map. it isnt awfull but it just doesnt feel like a EIRR map. and the big ass building in the middle is a pain.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 09:30:25 am »

Played the map tank. now i know you dislike me fery much but i hope you change some things on the map. it isnt awfull but it just doesnt feel like a EIRR map. and the big ass building in the middle is a pain.

Could you be more specific as to what types of changes it needs please.

What I find with most of the Eirr maps is they are either a big open field or a city.

I did some analysis of the most commonly played maps in Eir and used that data to create this one:
Forest - I have used the same spacing between the buildings
Neuville - I have used the same map size

The city area of Adaire is more congested than Neuville, but also has much larger lane ways running left to right.
The flanking areas (airport on left, Fields on right) are larger than Neuville making it easier to move all your units in a flank maneuver.

Perhaps you have just become too complacent with playing one map all the time and know where you are going. Maybe you need to play this map a few times to get a feel for the best strats or directions to use/exploit?
Several people have said they really like the map in game, but perhaps they are just being polite to me.

I am more then willing to make good changes to the map, but I would rather not change it to just become a stamp of Neuville, Tanteville, or forest.

Why do you think the big building in the middle is pain?
Please post the changes you feel it requires.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 09:32:15 am »

What I find with most of the Eirr maps is they are either a big open field or a city.

I did some analysis of the most commonly played maps in Eir and used that data to create this one:

The city area of Adaire is more congested than Neuville, but also has much larger lane ways running left to right.
The flanking areas (airport on left, Fields on right) are larger than Neuville making it easier to move all your units in a flank maneuver.

Perhaps you have just become too complacent with playing one map all the time and know where you are going. Maybe you need to play this map a few times to get a feel for the best strats or directions to use/exploit?
Several people have said they really like the map in game, but perhaps they are just being polite to me.

I am more then willing to make good changes to the map, but I would rather not change it to just become a stamp of Neuville, Tanteville, or forest.

all u c in this post is Tank130 wannabe Skaffa
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:33:55 am by Shabtajus » Logged

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:19 am »

Perhaps you are right. will give it another go.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 10:27:05 am »

all u c in this post is Tank130 wannabe Skaffa

Skaffa's maps are the most played maps in the mod - check the data here:
http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?page=96

If someone wants to make a successful map, they would be an idiot not to look over Skaffa's maps to try and identify why they are successful.

That being said, I tried to identify the components that made it successful, but ensure it had enough creativity as to not become a copy.

I feel I have succeeded, but I am still very open to creative input.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »

i think its a rather nice map tank, seems solid enough for EIR to me.

my only gripe is that to many buildings are full health in the centre, perhaps changing their health to 70%< would make the center less of an issue

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 01:39:51 am »

i doubt there is anything special that made skaffas map popular.

I believe it is force of habit, because everytime i play a skaffa map, i dislike it considerbly. Id play a titteville, or an abbeville, but not a skaffa map because of its absent characteristics that some people believe it has because it is played the most.

I wonder, if skaffa maps were taken out, the general populace will be like, what duh hell? and move on to choosing other maps and find a habit there.

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »

There are a lot of things that make Neuville and Forest better gameplay wise.

First of all the placement of buildings. The buildings are placed apart from each other yet still in range of each other. The fact that they are in range of each other makes them less of "I put my HMG in there now it's a fort" and more of a tactical position. For example it allows players to avert HMG fire by placing one of your own units in a building. The fact that there is enough space between them allows you to advance through that area. If they were to close to each other it would create bottlenecks. Maps with a lot of bottlenecks tend to be maps where you are forced to concentrate a lot of your defense on a single position and that along with the fact that it's there are few positions to attack from caters to artillery companies. Some of the buildings that have the potential to become too powerful (like a large building that overlooks an open field) are usually slightly damaged so that it's easier to take them out or they have hedges next to them so that they can't cover every direction.

The placement of cover is also important. Light cover is common but still placed decisively so that they can offer last minute cover. Heavy cover is usually not alone but placed close to other heavy cover or buildings so that they become less one sided. So constructing cover on positions that don't offer any cover and denying the enemy cover that might be advantageous to them by building barbed wire or crushing it becomes an interesting part of the game.

The roads are placed to allow for fast mobilization and tank combat but at the same time doesn't cripple advancing infantry, which can happen on maps with very linear roads that make the map look like a game of tick-tack-toe. The fact that there are buildings and cover on the other side of the road makes it easier to progressively advance or flank if the enemy has units there.

The size of the maps are exemplary. Too narrow maps makes it difficult to flank and attack a position.

There is a good mix between open areas and "cities".

There are few annoying fences that serve no purpose other than requiring you to destroy them to be able to advance.

The last and least important factor is the cosmetics, it looks professional and realistic. There is not just one ground type that covers 99% of the map and makes it look dull.

All these factors make for a flow of gameplay which not possible on many other maps, other maps are one sided or they don't allow for advancing effectively past a certain point or they have too much of one type, like too many buildings or too much open field. Which cater to specific builds instead of being varied.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »

wall O'text, but good points

So where does Adaire fit in all of that in your opinion?
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 10:45:02 pm »

I have reviewed the map, played some more.

The map currently is to big for a 3v3.

The map also suffers from Aid. for instance neuville and forest their isnt as much shot blockers in between your allies forest has gaps between the houses and neuville has a nice church and a actually area you can hide behind to go to your allies.

This map is big( or feels big) and with the town in the middle you cant really walk through it because it's almost a death sentence to cross red cover on that small streets. So in short most of the time you battle in isolation or in a cramped space with allies and always run a huge risk of artillery.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00:54 pm »

I have reviewed the map, played some more.

The map currently is to big for a 3v3.

The map also suffers from Aid. for instance neuville and forest their isnt as much shot blockers in between your allies forest has gaps between the houses and neuville has a nice church and a actually area you can hide behind to go to your allies.

This map is big( or feels big) and with the town in the middle you cant really walk through it because it's almost a death sentence to cross red cover on that small streets. So in short most of the time you battle in isolation or in a cramped space with allies and always run a huge risk of artillery.

Interesting...... they are exactly the same size.......
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 12:42:09 am »

Interesting...... they are exactly the same size.......

Don't argue logic with that one.

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 03:44:21 pm »

well i dont like the map. personally.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 04:52:14 pm »

So where does Adaire fit in all of that in your opinion?

I think it's a solid map. If you want to improve I'd say focus on the airfield. Most notably, I think you should remove the barrels and 1-2 of the airplanes as they currently have no use other than to block parts of the map where you want to advance and set up defenses.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:56:57 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 06:08:33 pm »

i like it for the most part, but the city area is way too congested, i dont like the buildings you chose, the broken rubble kind of buildings. spread them out more, maybe put a building or two on the side with a bunch of hedges on it.

change the downed glider so it doesnt block shots.

all in all a not quite decent map, but it has potential imo, widen roads and move things around in the center area just a bit so things can go through there a little easier and should be good!

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »

Yes, also widen some roads, sometimes you get stuck.
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 01:59:50 pm »

To be honest every time i have played this map the only thing i have noticed is that its too much of a cluster fuck with its Shotblockers, should maybe lower the amount of them a little bit.

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 02:11:22 pm »

Tank fix pathing
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »

fix map plz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc