Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:29:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 29, 2024, 01:55:18 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wehr] Zeal + Ferocity  (Read 4994 times)
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: July 31, 2009, 12:00:04 pm »

Hey guys,

Its time we take a look at zeal and ferocity combined. Currently, when both active you can get a semi-automatic shrek. If you have double shreks, you get a automatic shrek. Not sure how many players have faced this combo, but basically the shrek fires continiously and destroy any tank in its path. Is this balanced? I'd post a replay but I always forget all the steps and to be honest I just do not have the time right now since Im about to go.

I just think this ability is too powerful overall. The fact that it still has to be within 35 meters and hit is mute when you are able to fire that many shreks that fast. Shreks have great penetration and deal the most damage when combared to other manpacked AT. When combined with this rate of fire, its simply too much.

This can be contrasted with the airborne doctrine. Many people feel this doctrine is OP because the unlocks make airborne too strong. With that in mind, it seems people are leaning towards tweaking things down rather then tweaking everythign else up to compensate. I'd tend to concur with this train of thought.

I can say do not flame, but it will happen, hopefully a mod deletes it and we can maintain a good balance discussion.

PQ

Common sense is not so common after all.
CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:06:46 pm »

if u face a 1man schreck squad + ferocity..u are unlucky yes^^
could you please provide a replay? i have to check it out
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:08:43 pm by aloha622 » Logged

Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:34 pm »

The worst thing, it is unkillable!!!

Wait...

EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:54 pm »

In the game you just experienced Smokaz used Inspired assault AND Ferocity both at once, zeal just helped in the background. The way they implemented ferocity this time is why this is now possible. Considering the requirements (1 man schreck + Inspired assault + Ferocity = T1 + T2 + T4) all at once and for only a very short period I wouldnt say its unbalanced.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:46 pm »

In the game you just experienced Smokaz used Inspired assault AND Ferocity both at once, zeal just helped in the background. The way they implemented ferocity this time is why this is now possible. Considering the requirements (1 man schreck + Inspired assault + Ferocity = T1 + T2 + T4) all at once and for only a very short period I wouldnt say its unbalanced.

considering this, no its not really OPed if you take a look what it costs..
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:15:56 pm »

I would. It doesnt matter if its only for a short period. All that matters is that when it counts you can do it.

Edit: I love how people choose to call one thing OP but choose to remain ignorent about other such things.

Edit2: I play on both sides of the line, and I only call things out as I see them. I've called out axis and ally issues; I'll continue to do this as I play more games and experience more and more of the new abilities/combos that are coming out. This is how Q/A is done, something I wish more people understood.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:19:00 pm by pqumsieh » Logged
wildsolus Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »

so the ability to nuke 2 hellcats and a sherman in 30 seconds means nothing? i've seen it and i'd rather face an AB elite blob.

LuAn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:25:16 pm »

Could you please provide information on the Doctrine Unlocks and Abilities you are refering too?

aka UckY  Wink
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »

It was a 2 Man grenadier squad affected by zeal and possibly both ferocity and inspired assault that was firing really fast on a firefly that somehow had decided that it was a good idea to get within shrek range. (..)

Counter: Shreks dont get a range increase. Stay at range (kite) from the shreks and focus fire the infantry with.. something that is not medium armor. (Frontal Pershing doesnt care that much about shreks, churchill front do well enough against it as well. I'd back away from affected squads like this just like I'd back away from heroic charge british blobs, just like how I'd wait with engaging airborne for focus firing them until after they have used fireup, just like I always focus fire enemy officers giving leadership buffs. There's a whole intuitive infantry buff system in place here which players need to recognize, and the current version of EIRR has more types of this than ever before.

Being powerful / Breaking the counter system

If ferocity allowed me to use nothing but shreks for AT, I would not have 2 Geschutzwagons and 3 paks in my company. Ferocity does not break the infantry AT counter system, it just enables shreks and small arms to put up out a lot of damage when the conditions are ideal for it. Airborne Elite range breaks this system when they start to kite tanks so I feel this comparison is functionally flawed in terms of describing why IA/Ferocity possibly breaks the game. The observation that it puts out a lot of damage, I wholeheartedly agree with. Terror doesn't get double shreks btw.

As for the ability itself:

You get two uses of ferocity for free, anything more than that costs you a lot of SP's. IA (1 free use)is cheap in comparison but demands intelligence and cover to use properly. In case you didnt noticed, I never used either ferocity or IA when I wasnt in cover and I always try to use it when the enemy is not in cover as well, to maximise the benefit. Its not to hide under the rug that the ability was used correctly and that this takes more effort that a panther or a airborne simply outranging its counter.

A grenadier squad takes a lot of more damage while IA and/or Ferocity is active on it and go down to focus fire incredibly fast. There's a backside of the medal for this kind of use, but for my purposes (screw vet win games) it is very useful. If the received accuracy penalties add up, the squad takes 1.25 x 1.5 received accuracy penalties. This is severe.

IA and ferocity should probably not stack though as the damage becomes too high. This goes for a lot of buffing abilities atm that they when paired up breaks the balance.

Field repair + OBM repair stacking allowing a pershing to repair überfast while moving. Lieutnant and american officer stacking on american infantry.

There's a limit to how fast a shrek can fire because of the animation and the windup/targeting, so I'm highly suspicious to whether or not stacking IA/ferocity on a 2 or 1 man shrek squad makes it shoot any faster, it just increases their damage.

Abilities actually stacking or same old hot stuff?

A dev will have to comment on how whether or not the Ferocity and IA actually stacks or, but IA zeal shreks at 1-2 men have always fired incredibly fast and taken lots of damage since I joined old EIR. You sniped them, supressed them or stayed at range and nothing has changed regarding this other than that you can get 2 infantry halftracks that take reduce the downside of IA on flamers and shreks inside.. which is hard to do anything with without screwing over PE as well who are going to use TH abilities on their busters for the same purpose.

Whether these old abilities have turned overpowered, is hard to say. I leave that for others to decide as my opinion on this is that once a player understands he's facing this type of terror build he just needs to adjust his micro ever so slightly to negate most of it's impact on the game. I often get criticised for taking this stand (here's the counter, jimmy) on a lot of perceived balance issues, but its a part of my idea that stuff need's to be balanced from the top down, and not from the bottom up. You can't micro around or compensate for a Panther/Upgun ATHT outranging a 57mm, or airborne kiting your ostwind.

The rest of terror

Also, terror right now is pretty balanced and weaker than it's old EIR incarnation.

T1's - Double LMG's are more expensive than single ones
       - Basic Supplies = Similar to the Old EIR version
       - Intensity = Nerfed to hell
       - Fitness = Balanced
       - Inspired Assault - Grants 1 free use, works great with zeal, sucide assault

T2's 
      - Volks and Grenadiers only (weakened from earlier Zeal)
      - Firestorm = Great offmap
      - Advanced munitions = 8 more dmg on mortars, mg42 supresses too fast to benefit from it

T3's
       - Oakleaves and Swords = Not worth it, imo. Others may disagree. No zeal on KCH.
       - V1 = Might need 1 (free) max use because of how easy it negates a howitzer
       - Assault tanks = A regular KT really isn't much more than a damage soak
       - Terror Officer = Worst officer of all IMO, hard to use, strange offmap
T4's
       -  Ferocity (we are arguing it right now Wink)
       -  German steel (nerfed compared to old EIR)
       -  Heavy Support (severely nerfed compared to old EIR)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:52:49 pm by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
wildsolus Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36:48 pm »

Fair enough smokaz but...

who's gonna use ferocity when a tank isn't right in front of them? it isn't something you'd use when a tank is kiting your infantry and most of your auto shreks are going to miss.
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:37:36 pm »

Well, adding the inc acc debuffs does help balance the ability out. I do agree that it is avoidable, but only to an extent. For example, smokaz refers to the last game we just had, I did not back off my fire fly because it was about to destroy a tank, and 1 shrek squad was not about to stop me. However, when that one shrek squad gets off 4 shots in 5 seconds...then yes, I am dead.

That said, smokaz you do make very valid points. I think its best that I and others play a few more games with this ability before we declare it OP. At first glance though, the rate of fire just seemed way too high and a bit extreme.

On another note, stop saying that airborne elite can kite tanks. The fact of the matter is they only have 1.2 yards of extra range on most tanks (ostwinds, p4 ist, and wirbers have 35 yards so they are kitable) Once the first shot hits the other thank can usually fire back, and airborne only do a fraction of what other manpack AT's can do in damage; meaning, their damage output can be negligible at times. So please, stop assuming just because a unit has 1.2 yards of extra range that it can all of a sudden kite tanks with ease. Airborne elite does not allow you to kite tanks, it prevents tanks from kiting you; simple as that.

PQ
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:39:12 pm by pqumsieh » Logged
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:39 pm »

By definition the longest range unit is the one that kites, not the one with shorter range. The turret also turns away on a tank if its not tracking a target, giving airborne more time to kite. (Try mixing a jeep in with two airborne squads to counter a p4, hey whats up turn your turret oops airborne shooting too bad we are out of range)

As for RR's doing a fraction of damage.. what does that matter if they are not being returned fire on? And since the ABE vs Ferocity comparison was partly what this thread based on, terror is fielding 2 shreks for every 4 rrs in terms of population.

Even if it was true that airborne can't kite tanks with ABE, and I argue from my top-down perspective that they can because of their range superiority and turret turn speed/distracting targets, what Player Means to survive against RR ABE do tanks have if they can't cant kite AT infantry themselves, like you said with "..prevents tanks from kiting you".

That's the core difference in the ABE and the ferocity/zeal+IA effect on AT infantry, ABE breaks the counter system while the other leaves it intact but by all means, the Terror effects punishes it more severely when you try to ignore the fact that the buff is in effect. With the terror effect, you still need to have more than 1 piece of AT or be within medium range between you and the tank as well as a perfectly executed tank push will stop it entirely from firing (top down again).

Additionally using tanks is for the weak and frail of mind, BRING MOAR INF! Who hides behind layers of steel or crap or paper (PE) when you can get out there and put the hurt on them mano-e-mano behind a haystack or inside a Chateau.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:21:54 pm by Smokaz » Logged
CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 01:17:34 pm »

you want to put debuffs on ferocity? on a t4?...
LuAn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »

you want to put debuffs on ferocity? on a t4?...

SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »

Once again it’s not the single ability but the stacking. The two abilities should not stack. Same with Blitz and Conviction.

LuAn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 01:53:18 pm »

I dont quite understand why they arent supposed to stack?

If I decide to activate two offmaps at once they both happen, if i decide to use flanking manouvers and tank shock they both happen(its just that none has done that yet so ppl dont complain about it) and the same goes for all the passive buffs, if i pick two passive buffs they are both in effect, and the stronger one doesnt override.

If active abilities arent supposed to be stacked make them either adequate passive buffs or make them so strong that they dont need to be stacked.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 02:20:58 pm »

wait wait wait... what? Did I just read you can activate IA and ferocity at the same time lol?

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Ununoctium Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 05:16:54 pm »

wait wait wait... what? Did I just read you can activate IA and ferocity at the same time lol?
duh

so its anywhere from 200%-300%-400% damage done and 100%-150%-200% damage taken

in either case its nuts

Quote from: shockcoil
Quote from: CrazyWR
My tigers get penetrated by everything.  Its really really frustrating.
Your tiger is a whore
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc