Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:50:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Today at 08:25:25 am]

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Apology.  (Read 12175 times)
fldash Offline
Founder

« on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:53 pm »

It has been brought to light by a competing modification to the administrators of ModDB that we were apparently using a tactic to increase our profile page views.

On January 13th (thru 16th), our website was modified to redirect users of our website to our ModDB.com profile page without their knowledge.  This method, which involved no scripting at all, and used only common HTML elements with CSS attributes.  While we admit it was a bit 'gamey', however it did NOT affect MOTY votes or nominations in anyway, nor our community rating, only increased our profile views.

We are sorry if this tactic has offended any of you, or if you saw this as an unfair advantage.  It's rather unfortunate that these events have taken place and it's even more upsetting that ModDB staff have had to deal with more than just requesting and confirming the code be removed due to ultamatums given by another modification.

It is for this reason, that we are voluntarily withdrawing from the awards portion of the MOTY 2009 competition.

You can rest assured that the forthcoming Europe In Ruins: Reinforcements release will continue to follow in the footsteps of quality and innovation that the original did.

We wish the rest of the MOTY entrants all the best in such a great community and competition; one that rewards innovation and creativity within the modding community.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:28:50 am by fldash » Logged
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:07:38 pm »

Redirecting users to the ModDB.com profile page with an undisguised link clearly stating that it goes the Profile page and that it contributes to our popularity does not infringe on any laws or etiquette.

This tactic is commonly used on other mods as well.
Apophiss Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:24 pm »

Apparently it is against ModDB rules and regulations to do this though.
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:52:24 pm »

I'm so offended!

Just kidding, I had no clue this was going on and TBH, I don't care.

A hit on a page for a mod is a hit on a page for the modding community, ya know?

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
Jebus Offline
132nd Defensive Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:15:20 am »

wait a minute, you mean to tell me that my coming to his website has helped support the mod!? What an outrage!

DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:18:36 am »

Wait what?  What did I do and not know about?  I usually don't drink that much....  My jaw hurts and my pants were unzipped and our mod was in the top 5 for like 3 days... WTF??

Seems to me that there were other mods in that high of standing during that same time period too.... hmm....

Meh?

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:22:31 am »

so basically, OMG was bitching again, wonderful :sigh: when will it stop?

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
HaroquenT Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:31:06 am »

Redirecting users to the ModDB.com profile page with an undisguised link clearly stating that it goes the Profile page and that it contributes to our popularity does not infringe on any laws or etiquette.

This tactic is commonly used on other mods as well.

This is not the means by which the Page was influenced.

The issue was an invisible internet page was being launched upon arrival to the website, artificially increasing the veiws of the page.

This in turn brought the mod up in ratings, which would conversly, affect participation in Mod of the Year and all other PR.

so basically, OMG was bitching again, wonderful :sigh: when will it stop?

Spotting and calling forth a tactic that has an ethical stigmata and full out moritorium on it is not Bitching.
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:37:23 am »

I am not posting here to start anything, just want to make it clear that it was infact not OMG that originally brought this to everyone's attention, contrary to what some of you may think; it was actually a member of this (EIR's) community.

All we want is for all of this bitterness to stop between both mods, yes they are both based a core play style (persistency) but ALL systems for both mods are very different.  Design and implementation wise, not only of game play (in game), but backend (with exception to the company manager as FL pointed out many months ago); which we have permission from Phil to use.

So, could everyone just start singing the Barney song and get along.

back to silence I go
Jebus Offline
132nd Defensive Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:02 am »

it was infact not OMG that originally brought this to everyone's attention, contrary to what some of you may think; it was actually a member of this (EIR's) community.

It has been brought to light by a competing modification to the administrators of ModDB that we were apparently using a tactic to increase our profile page views.

Didn't realise EiR was competing with itself.
FaolchuTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:25 am »

Just thought I'd pop in here from lurking for so long and inform the community that: HaroquenT & Draygon, are both OMG sympathisers and Developers, So I'd take their propaganda with a truck load of salt. 
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:15:14 am »

It has been brought to light by a competing modification....

t's rather unfortunate that these events have taken place and it's even more upsetting that ModDB staff have had to deal with more than just requesting and confirming the code be removed due to ultimatums given by another modification which has 'borrowed the core principles developed by us.

so...you're telling me that eir is competing with itself? then why did he write that, i dont think uc an mistake that. there's only one competing mod,

that sure as hell sounds a lot like OMG.
Krieger Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:09 am »

Oh for god sakes guys, propaganda? The only people pushing this antagonistic mood around is the people who post things like that. The OMG people have been very clear that they don't WANT this us vs. them mentality. This is not a war, there are no 'sympathizers.' There is no pogrom, no holocaust. The OMG people don't go around badmouthing EiR, no need to do so in return.

Just... take some damn cake.
HaroquenT Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:19 am »

I would like a good old fashioned Pogrom.

The Cossacks have been getting fat.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 01:22:01 am »

Krieger, i've been one of the people that's pushed that. I was on omg beta team and have always stomped on people trying to do that on both sides but there have been some people that have caused stuff and i can't imagine another mod that's using what EIR is doing, and competing, so, if this is true, THEY need to stop. Who cares who gets MOTY. Doesn't matter really, and omg is very much rusty and im surprised its even up there with EIR IMO.
Krieger Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 01:26:42 am »

...punctuation is your friend. And name one instance of OMG starting shit with EiR?

For the record, OMG and EIR aren't even in the same category. And again, it wasn't OMG who discovered this. Given that they where the one that had the illegal (in a ModDB sense) code, it makes sense for them to find a scapegoat to divert attention from that and instead cry about people 'outing' them.

Just stop. You're not doing either community any good.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:02 am »

omg is fail so far , they cannot even get launcher right after a month lmao

31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 01:31:36 am »

...punctuation is your friend. And name one instance of OMG starting shit with EiR?

I can name an example, but that is not going to be very nice and it has already being settled behind closed doors without unnecessary drama. I suggest you don't stir up dissent either. Take your arguments private and communicate directly to the parties concern.

Gungunx, flaming them like that isn't going to help inter-mod relationships. As it is, we don't have enough player base to split. Just live and let live. If so-and-so's mod is better and superior, people will prefer it. Simple as that.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 01:32:12 am »

Krieger.

You are not privy to all the facts.
And, keeping to our dev rules - we will attempt to keep the details private.

Please refrain from theory-crafting what you think you know as fact.
However, Id like to take this time to point out that *I* personally have done nothing to hamper OMG, while at several stages, the opposite is not true.

While *I* dont care about this - our product will show where our focus has gone, rather than putting energy into bringing us down.

Peace all, I wish it would all go away tbh Wink

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 01:35:29 am »

if ppl would take care more of themselves than other we would had less drama eh? but guess thats impossible right now. when after a game some ppl taunt , call names or spammers and in revenge do the same eh.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc