Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:21:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [BETA] 6p_St_Come_Du_Mont  (Read 32757 times)
Hartkeks Offline
EIR Regular

« on: April 18, 2008, 11:20:56 am »

Hello community,

I've been playing around with the worldbuilder for some time and because EiR is such a great mod, I decided to try making a map for it.
I looked for some pictures of real battlesites in WW2 to get some inspiration and found this map:

and a reconissance photograph of the St. Come du Mont area:

This might work for a 3v3 map I thougt, so this is what I've done so far:

What do you think? Should I continue? Or does the map look like it will be unplayable?

Since this is my first map, I don't know what the "best" size for a 3v3 would be. I made it 512 x 320 (playable area) but the village and the crossroads barely fit in.

Still a lot of work to be done before it's finished, so some feedback would be apreciated.

Update:

First Beta released:

http://files.filefront.com/6p+St+Come+Du+Montsga/;10064624;/fileinfo.html

Update

Beta 0.2 released

http://files.filefront.com/6p+st+come+du+montsga/;12931539;/fileinfo.html

changelog:
- added more gaps in hedgerows
- additional cover on the flank of town (walls, sandbags, vehicles, craters, etc.)
- replaced a few houses with smaller ones
- added pre building damage
- Added an artillery barrage on the town during first 20 sec of the game (experimental: all slots have to be players. If you are playing a 2v2 on the map, the empty slots have to be computerplayers (wich won't show up in the actual game, but the slots must not be empty))
- custom music test (only works with min. 80 voices enabled in CoH sound settings atm)
- weather options added

Update

- fixed version for patch 2.501 (no more crash due to mapdescription)
- fixed SCAR code, so playerslots can remain empty (special thanks to |-|Cozmo|-| for this one)

http://files.filefront.com/6p+st+come+du+montsga/;13619120;/fileinfo.html

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:11:01 pm by Hartkeks » Logged

ImNotBlackdong Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:24:17 am »

looks nice
salan
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:43 am »

I love smaller 3 v 3 maps, it makes the world a hurtful place and the fighting intense!

KEEP IT UP!!!

can't wait to try it, BUT PLEASE play a game on bastion and see how he did his sectoring.  The sectors are what make or break a map...
XNiichts Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:32:16 am »

Looks very playable so far,
But what he said.  Sectors = very importante
Hartkeks Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:54 am »

This is the current sector layout. But I have no idea if this would work out with MCP.  Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:58 am »

This is the current sector layout. But I have no idea if this would work out with MCP.  Huh

You should edit the sectors a bit, they look a bit small.  Its easy to do but it might take some time.  Pretty much just make sure that everything is equal so starting on one side wont have an advantage over the other side.  Also make sure your sectors are not too small otherwise it turns the games into cap wars where people just run around capping.

Hartkeks Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:04:59 pm »

Thanks for the input.

I should merge some sectors, but I don't know which.
There are so many possibilities.

So I drew a few variations.

salan
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:25 pm »

IMO the best sector size is a full screen when zoomed out normally.

This way, you can't hide units all over the place, plus it allows enough sectors across the map for actual flanking, and forces both attackers/defenders to defend more then 1 spot on the map (counter attacks blah blah)
salan
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:19:32 pm »

hmm the first merge pic wouldn't work as well.  What happens then is you can keep 1 unit in the center of either of those two merge pieces and are able to completely shut down a flanking move ...  your original sectors actually were probably the best, I was just curious what all the blank spots around them are?  trees?

as I said, check out St WInn or Bastion.  They are blocks, like your first lay out, that are approx 1 screen size (slightly bigger) when normal zoomed out.   it works wonderful for the system.  Allows progression through the map and flowing game play.

If you have to big sectors (ignore anthony sectors are to small) you run into huge problems with flanking, and things like abbeville which was the most played map in Victory mode really shows the burden of large sectors when attempting to remove or regain a sector from the enemy.

as anthony said though, just try to even the sectors out across the map, 50% for 50% of the map is usually the best bet.
CommanderHolt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »

Hmm.... Isn't St. Come du Mont was one of the objectives for the Airborne?
Hartkeks Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 02:12:21 pm »

[...] your original sectors actually were probably the best, I was just curious what all the blank spots around them are?  trees?

No, not trees. Mainly it's the heightmap causing issues with the show territory mode. Although the terrain is not very "hillish". I don't know how to get a better view of the sectors.

as I said, check out St WInn or Bastion.  They are blocks, like your first lay out, that are approx 1 screen size (slightly bigger) when normal zoomed out.   it works wonderful for the system.  Allows progression through the map and flowing game play.

So then the middlesector would be the right size. (a bit larger than one screensize) I will adjust the other sectors then.

If you have to big sectors (ignore anthony sectors are to small) you run into huge problems with flanking, and things like abbeville which was the most played map in Victory mode really shows the burden of large sectors when attempting to remove or regain a sector from the enemy.

That's why I thougt it would be ok to make the sectors smaller in the middle of the map, since there will be the most fighting going on.

as anthony said though, just try to even the sectors out across the map, 50% for 50% of the map is usually the best bet.

That's what I tried to do. Same ammount of sectors for each side and hopefully the same size as well.

Thank you for the advise.

Hmm.... Isn't St. Come du Mont was one of the objectives for the Airborne?

After the failure of the 506th Parachute Infantry (Colonel Sink) on 7 June to wrest St. Côme-du-Mont from the 6th Parachute Regiment, a much larger attack was mounted the following day. The 1st and 2d Battalions of the 506th were reinforced with the 3d Battalion, 327th Glider Infantry,31 the 3d Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry, eight light tanks, and the 65th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. The glider battalion, commanded by Lt. Col. Ray C. Allen, on the left wing of the attack was to pass to the east of St. Côme-du-Mont, proceed down the main highway, and blow the bridges on the Carentan causeway. Colonel Ewell's battalion of the 501st was to attack to the south of St. Côme to cut the highway there while Colonel Sink's two battalions (506th) drove in column directly into the town. Behind effective artillery preparatory fire followed by a rolling barrage, the attack jumped off at about 0500.32 The glider battalion bogged down in the hedgerows. But Colonel Ewell's men, despite considerable confusion and intermingling of units, reached their objectives south of St. Côme within three hours. In the meantime the battalions of the 506th pressed against the town from the east and artillery continued to fall heavily on the German defenders. In the first hour and a half, the 65th Armored Field Artillery Battalion fired about 2,500 rounds of 105-mm. high explosive.

The brunt of the U.S. attack was borne by the 3d Battalion, 1058th Regiment, which on 7 June had been reinforced by two companies of the 3d Battalion, 6th Parachute Regiment, from Carentan. Early in the morning, the 1058th men under heavy artillery fire began to show signs of cracking. Von der Heydte, still in charge of the defense, had no more reserves to bring up. Observing that men of the 1058th were beginning to straggle in retreat westward and having lost contact with the 1058th battalion headquarters, von der Heydte decided to pull out his own units and such troops of the 1058th as he could contact. The withdrawal involved some severe fighting with Ewell's battalion posted south of the town, but eventually the majority of the Germans got out to the west and retreated on Carentan following generally the axis of railroad embankment.

jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:51:03 pm »

Looking sweet so far, hart. Definitely merge some sectors I'd say.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »

Sectors can be too small, having 1 or 2 small sectors is ok i guess but they are kinda pointless.

I didnt say make huge sectors...
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 03:38:56 pm »

Wow!  Hartkeks, welcome to the mapping community!  This looks great!  Where did you find the WWII map?

Also, once you get a playable beta up, please post the link in the map database thread and Unkn0wn or I will add you to the database!

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Hartkeks Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 05:46:47 pm »

I don't remember the link for the map, but lots of pics and maps to be found on this site:http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-4/7-4_Contents.htm#toc

Update:

Most of the playable area is now covered. I need to polish up the church area and lighten up some hedgerows with bushes and trees. Sectors right now are rectangular. So I probably have to look at them as well.

What else do I need for a playable beta?

Can I add sandbags, barbedwire, etc. and not to forget the 00b area later, or should I do this before I release a beta version?

Atmosphere is still default and I have no weather options made.

Meanwhile I have some more screenshots for you:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:59:47 am by Hartkeks » Logged
ReapersWarrior Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 02:41:46 pm »

this map looks awesome
GenericNameAxis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 10:40:33 pm »

This map looks fun hopefully it will be successful.

ke
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 11:12:37 pm »

That looks excellent, city fighting for the middle points is always fun.

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 11:59:43 pm »

The sectors in the last screen-shot look really well done, something like I would do, will have to play this map soon!  Get a beta out so we can get some testing on it, I'm sure Unknown will get it added to the .module file.

Life or Lack There Of
salan3
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 12:00:36 am »

Oo can't wait
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc