Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:33:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIP] 6p/8p WindTown  (Read 21877 times)
Computer991 Offline
Donator

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »

THE AMOUNT OF FOLIAGE AND DETAIL MY EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This map is marys way of saying "F U PATHING"

Looking foward to playing this tho.

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »

THE AMOUNT OF FOLIAGE AND DETAIL MY EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This map is marys way of saying "F U PATHING"

Looking forward to playing this tho.

Don't worry dude, I've fully tested all the complete areas so far and made sure it all runs smoothly as glass.

Even in the courtyard, amongst the fallen tables, or up by the church in the forest garden - the pathing is smooth and clear. It's been meticulously tested to make sure.

It's gonna be epic!

-Wind

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
seanconnery Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:21 am »

keep up the amazing work wind!  it's looking awesome
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:07 am »

The second city block is taking shape!

I think I'm at over 35 hours so far. I never realized mapping took so damn long.

-Wind

ps. Thanks Soi + Computer.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:48:20 am by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 11:05:49 am »

Like I said earlier, and in other map threads, entire cities with intact buildings will likely lead to severe gameplay issues. COH is not designed to truly support this.

Other than that, fantastic looking!
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 11:07:16 am »

Don't listen to Unkn0wn, the only issue it creates is building to building fighting which he hates.

If its something you want on your map do it. Just realize it slows gameplay down.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:23 am »

I guess you can try and become the first map in EIR history that doesn't fail at offering combat in a practically entirely intact city with very little space between the buildings.
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 11:35:22 am »

What about Lambert? Lambert is great. Well for the vcoh factions only but it can hardly be faulted for that, they're the only 2 factions it was designed for after all.

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 11:36:15 am »

The purpose of this map is to offer something new and refreshing: a realistic WW2-era urban environment.

The positions of windows, the spaces between buildings, and the layout of streets and avenues in this city have all been precisely calibrated to make it look and feel authentic, but also to offer strategic nuances that are new to EiR. The pathing has also been tested extensively and it is without complaint.

I'm sure big spaces between buildings makes for more uninterrupted, convenient gameplay, but it also makes for far less immersive and realistic atmospheres. Right now the existing urban, or semi-urban enviroments in even the best EiR maps at the moment are lego-land'ish at best and obviously contrived. That has been a conscious choice up till now in favour or pursuing a certain doctrine of "gameplay".

When you are fighting in the city on this map, however, you will feel like you are actually fighting in a ww2 city. Not buggy and with poor pathing, but close and intense. So while a certain type of gameplay, perhaps the one EiR players are most accustomed to, might not be available in it... a better one will replace it. Ideally anyways.

-Wind
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:38:55 am by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 11:39:25 am »

The purpose of this map is to offer something new and refreshing: a realistic WW2-era urban environment.

The positions of windows, the spaces between buildings, and the layout of streets and avenues in this city have all been precisely calibrated to make it look and feel authentic, but also to offer strategic nuances that are new to EiR. The pathing has also been tested extensively and it is without complaint.

I'm sure big spaces between buildings makes for more uninterrupted, convenient gameplay, but it also makes for far less immersive and realistic atmospheres. Even the urban, or semi-urban enviroments in any EiR map at the moment are lego-land'ish at best. On this map, however, when you are fighting in the city, you will feel like you are actually fighting in a ww2 city. Not buggy and with poor pathing, but close and intense. So while a certain type of gameplay, perhaps the one EiR players are most accustomed to, might not occur as easily... a better one will replace it. Ideally anyways.

-Wind

I checked your xfire broadcast and in the first 10 seconds i watched i saw a sherman getting stuck.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 11:41:26 am »

I checked your xfire broadcast and in the first 10 seconds i watched i saw a sherman getting stuck.

It takes way longer than that for a sherman to even get to the city.

On top of that, no sherman got stuck in any of the 3 broadcasts I've done today. So you either were A) watching someone else's broadcast, B) On drugs and hallucinating, or C) just making nonsense up for some bizarre reason.

I'll happily run another one to prove it. Until then, don't waste my time.

-Wind
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:16 am »

Who originally made this map ?

-skaf

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 11:59:11 am »

The original was made by a guy named Skip 4 or 5 years ago.

Here is a screenshot of the original map:

And for comparison, the latest screenshot of my version:

-Wind
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:02:35 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 01:32:12 pm »

Well, it's got the benefit of the doubt, I'll be sure to try it ingame Smiley
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 03:24:26 pm »

It takes way longer than that for a sherman to even get to the city.

On top of that, no sherman got stuck in any of the 3 broadcasts I've done today. So you either were A) watching someone else's broadcast, B) On drugs and hallucinating, or C) just making nonsense up for some bizarre reason.

I'll happily run another one to prove it. Until then, don't waste my time.

-Wind

the first 10 seconds i started watching, not the first 10 seconds of your broadcast.

and dont take "getting stuck" too literally. I mean with that "pathing issues"

something else: I saw its possible to drive a tank over the stairs on the hill where the church is on. BAD IDEA. places like that obviously create pathing issues. block the stairs for any vehicle or atg.

also, the church is completely surrounded by hedges. this might look pretty but it makes the entire thing useless because units cant shoot out of it (note that players wont notice this at first and get pissed off ofcourse)
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »

and dont take "getting stuck" too literally. I mean with that "pathing issues"

A "pathing issue" is when a tank or unit cannot correctly determine how to navigate from where it is, to where you have commanded it to go with a click. It is when, due to poor placement of objects and terrain, that unit takes an awkward route to it's destination, or when it cannot reach it at all.

Not even ONCE in any of the broadcasts I ran today was this the case. At most there were times when the sherman had to stop in order to pivot around a tight corner, but that is how tanks in CoH make really tight turns no matter the case. It is not bad pathing - it is actually good pathing when they behave normally. If you had seen the Sherman get stuck, have to back up, or wiggle back and forth - THAT would have been bad pathing. But you didn't see those things, so do me a favour and stop making nonsense up.

Also, the only time places with stairs "obviously" create pathing issues is if they are done carelessly by mappers who put pipes in the middle of roads. If done carefully, however, as my broadcasts have clearly shown, even something as large as a tank can effortlessly roll up the stairs, back down, in and around without any difficulty.

You may think it's too much work to make stairs that tanks can go on without pathing difficulty, but it isn't impossible. It just takes more work. I know my shit and I've proved it can.

In terms of the Church hedges + ability to shoot from it, I'll investigate it and come up with a workaround if necessary.

-Wind

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:46:03 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 04:53:54 pm »

A sherman did have pathing issues. there was a open corner (cafe) and the sherman did not simply drive over the terrace and road: it stopped, rotated a bit, backed off and then drove around.

And you controlling one tank while nothing else is going on is completely different from when you are in a stressed battle trying to micro your stuff.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 12:06:44 am »

A sherman did have pathing issues. there was a open corner (cafe) and the sherman did not simply drive over the terrace and road: it stopped, rotated a bit, backed off and then drove around.

And you controlling one tank while nothing else is going on is completely different from when you are in a stressed battle trying to micro your stuff.

I specifically made that cafe wall impassable using the path finding tool. Otherwise infantry were able to run through the wall as it is a special object (a bridge wall) rather than an actual wall.  The sherman did exactly what it was supposed to when it is ordered to drive into an inpassable object, which is the exact same thing it would have done had it been commanded to drive into a building. It realized the command was bogus, stopped, rotated, and moved around it.

A pathing error is when a unit doesn't do what it is supposed to do due to shoddy arrangement of objects - eg. a pipe in the middle of a road. It is an unintended side effect of poor planning.  The instance you were talking about was a sherman's AI doing exactly what it is supposed to do when ordered to enter an area of the map it isn't supposed to go. You wouldn't order a sherman at full speed to drive into a building, and then call it a pathing error when it's acceleration doesn't give it time to stop and it has to back up and rotate to get out.

-Wind

AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 03:05:18 am »

I would actually advise removing that then and using a different wall.

Visual confusion makes it very frustrating on players.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 06:32:03 am »

I would actually advise removing that then and using a different wall.

Visual confusion makes it very frustrating on players.

I agree. I'm looking in to making it a medium crush wall.

-Wind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc