Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:39:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Newbs  (Read 4569 times)
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

It's pretty difficult for a newb to locate everything he needs to know on these forums. It's stickied in its own subforum, I know, but it's moderately difficult for people to locate who have never even seen this website before.

I suggest adding a bold, underlined, and highlighted link to the EIR manuals within the launcher itself. Put it in place of the News Highlights the very first time EIR is launched. That way, people will need less intro time into the game, and are less likely to miss important info. I would also add Red Orchestra-like notes next to each area of the launcher the first three times its launched, but that's probably really difficult to program.

It's a very minor issue, but I think it's important for newbs to be able to integrate into the game quickly. Especially for this game, with such a high learning curve.

And, on a minor note, don't ridicule, bait, or stack the newbs, it isn't friendly at all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:33:09 pm by acker » Logged
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:34:30 pm »

Another thing: I think that a collection of vCOH->EIR changes should be placed in the Important info/Download links. I don't think it would be obvious to many that the PE halftracks use Puma armor, for starters.
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:24:15 pm »

We're actually working on a Getting Started forum that should help newer players find what they need.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:02 am »

I'll see what I can add in for a tutorial of sorts in-launcher wise too.

Like, maybe a highlighting key points for each page - showing what each bit does.

Good thing to call attention to acker Wink

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Jazzhead Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:42:39 am »

Yes i think attention does need to be paid to new players. Me and acker were in the same game trying to help a new player get the hang of things, but there are sooo many aspects to get hung up on (matching account names, battalion layout, popcap, etc) that it gets very frustrating for both parties. Right now i see a lot of new players just trying to jump right into the mod w/o any guidance which assures failure.  Even the most adept person would pull their hair out if they didn't get some help here.

I second the motion to create a "New Player" section on the forum that is very accessible and pretty. Maybe also consider tying this section to the launcher when a new player makes an account. (Just to make sure they see the guides before heading into their first game)

On a slightly different aspect, maybe we could also use a list of players who are especially noob friendly. I've met a lot of ppl in this mod who are always willing to help noobs out even if it means getting some losses. On the flip side, there are some players (we all know who they are) who tear into noobs and make them maybe quit the mod altogether. Since first impressions are key, maybe consider trying to get older ppl to mentor the new ppl (maybe add some incentive). Shoutout to bobbysmith for being nice to me when i was new  Smiley

crimsonrabbit Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:27:26 am »

agreed...

I defy all laws of scienceee.

This is Bunny.
Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:15:08 am »

That's something i brought up some time ago!

Like the red " Want to help promote Europe In Ruins? It's as easy as clicking here once a day!  Why?  "

bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 03:52:47 am »

I'm always happy to help new players. Anyone who has any questions can come ask me.

Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 05:22:51 am »

I recently came back after my vacation.

Eir customer and guidance support is up so don't hesitate to ask me for anything.

Eir customer support staff.
Sixpack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 05:43:54 am »

Also get a good moderator to take out all the spam/flame/balance discussion that start up all over the forum, keep it nice, friendly and clean Smiley
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 06:05:45 am »

We have had some serious attitude problems in this forum.

We need to change this if we are to bring in newcomers.

(they come for the game, they stay for the community)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc