Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:09:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I get the source code?  (Read 10939 times)
Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« on: April 14, 2009, 08:14:15 am »

Hi,
I am interested to work on this mod. My two goals are to create a EIR community in different language, and improve the web presentation (player stats, game results, clan wars, localization) with using Drupal.

So I would need the launcher to be configurable to accept a different ip address (web site), and I would like to get the (php) code running on your site. I do not need the launcher source code, but if I can get that also, I would like to review it.. I am not interested in forking the mod.

My easy question is: can I get the source code, or can you release it (under GPL)?

All my improvements would be freely available (open source), so you (or others) could also benefit from it..
Schultz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:41 am »

lol, has anyone noticed the current influx of one-message users on pretty much about anything.
I thought the best one so far was the "supposed" creator of vengeance coming to ask tym what did he change on his map.. Cheesy
But yeah this tops it all. Good job thtb and friends ;p
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:31:47 am »

He's also active on Relic News (assuming it's the same guy) so I doubt it's a 'fake'.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:24 am »

there are some mysterioues  1 post people both on eir and omg that  came up with "solutions" how to get 2.501 working.

i bet relics staff want to take over ;p

Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:00:46 am »

I do not understand, is there something wrong with my question? As I see nobody really want to own the mod, or make money from it later, so I don't see why the source is closed.
I tried to ask the same question in PM 2 months ago, when I first found this mod. But I got no answer, so I thought I would ask it publicly..

off topic: I do not have a solution for 2.501. But to me it seems like a temporary problem.. I can wait..
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:30 am »

Pasqualle, there's not really a problem, just that you have 2 posts under your belt, and people don't really know you - they don't want to trust your good will(is there much of that on the internet? We couldn't really sue you if you borked the mod and left us, even though you had promised not to, see where I'm getting here?). Especially since there is a person that would like very much to destroy EiR, and has already made steps to do so. He claimed he did not wish for that, and that his actions were only made because he wanted to get back at a moderator on these forums, but what he did was pretty much attempts to destroy EiR.

We are not developers - we are players, and as all lively players, we troll around, especialy at people who seem wierd. And in this case, a completely new member asking for the source code is very, very wierd.
You should Private Message EiRRMod, not FLDash or Phil, by the way, about this, as he's the one that's taken over the creation of the mod. If you PMed FLDash or Phil, that's the reason why they haven't responded - they're not doing anything with the mod any more. We still honor them as gods and have orgies around easter in their honor(this year's orgy was ace - 13 virgins for everyone!)

Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:58 am »

lol.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:38:10 pm »

I still not understand what is weird about asking to open source, and why do you have to trust me.. and destroy EIR, with the source code? I guess it is only possible if I make a better mod from it than the original. Are you worried that I could do that?

If you are worried that there are security holes in the code, then I agree, you need trust to give your live code to someone.

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:40:22 pm by Pasqualle » Logged
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:49:39 pm »

I guess it is only possible if I make a better mod from it than the original. Are you worried that I could do that?

*cough*Operation Market Garden*cough*  Roll Eyes
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:34:29 pm »

I still not understand what is weird about asking to open source, and why do you have to trust me.. and destroy EIR, with the source code? I guess it is only possible if I make a better mod from it than the original. Are you worried that I could do that?
No, making EIR open source would leave the development center exposed, and introduce / remove aspects that are not desired.

If you want to make the mod better than the original, its not that hard - try coding for yourself rather than using other peoples base code and tweaking.

Thanks for the interest, but as I replied to your *PM* two months ago, it will never be open source until I leave the project (and cant find a replacement head coder)

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
bfhogues Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 06:44:05 pm »

tell em how it is.

Rocksitter Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:07 pm »

I want that crabby patty!!!

Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:40:22 pm »

would leave the development center exposed
yes, opening the source, means opening the development

and introduce / remove aspects that are not desired.
I don't know why everybody thinks that when someone makes an open source program, then everyone will just grab and fork it..
When someone complains about Drupal, that they would change some basic functionality because they don't like it, and their ideas are superior. I would say go ahead, try to do it. I know they will fail, because Drupal is not only the software.
Like EIR. If you have the code you do not have EIR. The shoutcasts, the community, the development team, that's all EIR.. I can't and don't want to compete with that..

Or are you worried that someone would remove the Relic game registration check? Maybe that is the reason. I don't know, is it even part of your code?

If you want to make the mod better than the original, its not that hard - try coding for yourself rather than using other peoples base code and tweaking.
As I said it earlier I have no intention to change anything in the mod (or making any mod for CoH), I would like to make a better web presence for it.. I really do not have any time for modding..

I have read about the OMG fiasco, and I think it is funny. It is evident that OMG is based on EIR, so you should be proud of it. Do you think that it ruined EIR? I don't know, but it does not seems like that, but I first heard about this mod only 2 months ago, so I can be mistaken. I think I found this mod from a Corsix's blog post. (He has a Drupal site) It is a real shame that many players do not know this mod, it is as good as it should be part of CoH. Would you mind if Relic would include it in the next patch? Seriously, would you?

Thanks for the interest, but as I replied to your *PM* two months ago
sorry, I did not get it.

it will never be open source until I leave the project (and cant find a replacement head coder)
that is a clear answer
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:50:27 pm »

I completely misunderstand what it is you want.

If its the code that makes EIR persistant;
The code that you would like is right here:
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=205282

The launcher and backend are tied together, the website does nothing with EIR anymore, other than house the forum, and register page.
So in effect, if you 'have the code' then yes, you have EIR.

If you have no intention of changing any of the code, again, why do you want it?  For fun?  Good conversation at parties?

The amount of effort it would take for you to get all the pieces together to make it 'work' is quite large, and all you would be doing then, is emulating exactly what this place does.  Still not really understanding the 'why?' here.

Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:09:29 am »

The problem with this website is that it is an English forum, nothing more. I am thinking if I can make a site in my own language, or multilingual and add additional functionality to the site then I can attract more players.
If someone want's to play EIR now, he mostly have to speak English. It is a barrier for many players.

But yes, it would mostly be just for fun, and learning.. And of course I want this mod to succeed, because it is great mod..

As I see the link you posted is just the mod. I think it would be good only if I want to change something, or wants to create another mod..
I do not understand how it is possible that your web site does not do anything? It must store all the players data (battalion, doctrine), and it uses a SOAP service (written in ASMX) with ~30 operations to communicate with the launcher.. Maybe you mean it does nothing compared to the previous versions (the launcher took over of the main functionality)..

So I would have to write my own launcher and own web service. No thanks, I can't do that, and that would not be EIR any more..
I would like to keep the original EIR launcher, but it is not configurable now to accept connection from another site. I would like to redo the web part (web service, data storage). I think I can do that if I can see the original code, or see some documentation, and be informed if something is (will be) changed in the new release..

You may argue that with a new site I can steal the community, steal the mod. I can't because the launcher still says it is Europe in Ruins, it is your mod, not mine.
In other games I would call it a clan server or community server. So players can play on the official EIR server or other servers..

I hope it is clear now what my goal would be..
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:38 am »

What makes this mod great is the fact we DON'T have to play with retarded koreans(including, but not limiting the possible languages to koreans - french, spanish, portuguese, any player from any country could act like a retard if the main page was in his language) that come in here and expect us to talk in their language, just because the main page for them is in korean.
If you can't understand english - don't play this mod - communication is key in winning at this mod. If we can't even get you to answer us if you're going to come into the game that's been hosted - you, sir, do not deserve to be here.

Not understanding basic english? That SHOULD be a barrier in a mod that has it's main language as english, and that is so dependant on team communication, and communication overall, just to get a game going!

We're not afraid you'll steal the mod. We're afraid you'll absolutely destroy it with fiddling around, then put out a straight forward DOS attack into the main server, delete any backups on EiRRMods computer, and leave it be. You demand access to the back-end, the MAIN part of EiR. That is not something you will get, nor can you expect to get, without being a personal, or a very trusted friend of the developer. And frankly, having come in here less than a week ago, with 4 or 5 posts on your hands, and living in another country, I doubt you fall into either of those  categories...

So no, your goals are not clear other than that you want players that don't have basic skills at english(something we do not wish at all) to be able to play this mod(includes 5 year old frenchmen, hooray for those, eh?), and that you imagine you can somehow "improve" it. The launcher is laggy with 30-40 people online as it is, how do you expect the server to handle 3-4 seperate channels, each with that many? The latent bandwidths alone, with no people online, would already kill it for the other channels to be at a proper level of ping latency... Not to mention you're offering to make these new channels, when there's no playerbase to fill these channels. If we needed players, we'd need them in the main - english-speaking community, not for them to be split apart in some sort of "elitist" sub-grouping. How are french/koreans/germans etc. any better than the other nations that would NOT gain their own sub-game-channel, and who'd have to learn english to play?
Frankly, this is a bad idea.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 10:19:37 am »

Dont be such a dick mysthalin.
EIRRmod will decide, not you Tongue
Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:46 am »

Mysthalin: all your fears are obviously flawed. Your comment has absolutely no connection with my request.

I hope devs understand that I do not want to answer his comment.. Or do you want me to explain something (any of his concerns) in more detail?
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 10:48:26 am »

Wtf, where´s Fl-Dash lolololol...?

Since when people who doesn´t speak english at 100% has the mental capabilities of a 5 years old kid?

Mysthalin: all your fears are obviously flawed. Your comment has absolutely no connection with my request.

I hope devs understand that I do not want to answer his comment.. Or do you want me to explain something (any of his concerns) in more detail?

nah, you don´t have to, he has been seeing too many ghosts lately  Wink  Cheesy.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 11:09:13 am »

This guy even if not directly suggested something pretty intresting, multi-language manual or multi language versions of website.

And myst even a korean player who knows around 5 english words, can be a good teammate (u know what I'm talking about), so yes don't be a dick, you have your own culture, or english?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc