Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:53:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I get the source code?  (Read 10942 times)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 11:15:50 am »

Wtf, where´s Fl-Dash lolololol...?
fl- stepped down completely a while back, with the baby coming and all he just didn't have the time for this anymore.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 12:01:34 pm »

Killer, you have, I am certain met such people that do not understand the very basics of english, such simplicities as "Ready up" are just too difficult for them to understand. At which point, I do not hold their mentalities much higher than those than those of 5 year old children. Understanding english 100 percent is not necesary - understanding very basic english is a must.

Making a manual, or a multi-language version of the website would be alright(and requires no source codes, but the latter would need basic access to the website), but translating the whole launcher, and even making seperate channels of the game inside the launcher, for different nationalities, is frankly something quite a bigger step than that.

Of course it is not for me to decide, the guy asked why he wasn't allowed source code - I explained it to him, albeit in a rather offensive manner, for which I am sorry.

thaelmann Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 12:18:39 pm »

im with you on this. EIR is just as much about the coommunity as it is about the actual game. what good is the oportunity to recruit a larger amount of new players if you cant talk or chat to them. this all would lead to splitting the community. germans vs. koreans, lets go. and i really dont like that thought. btw, im not a native speaker as you might have noticed.

Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 01:17:32 pm »

Although i can understand that basic english should be there everywhere nowadays I really like the idea of a multilingual platform.

There are many nationalities playing this game, it would help alot with questions when there are FAQs in different languages.

Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »

So what you really want is to port EIR to other languages?

I could imagine a situation where we had localized versions of the Launcher and in game messages.

As EIRRMod made unequivocally clear, he won't release the source code.  But perhaps there could be room for assisting in creating some localized content?

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 03:32:48 pm »

So what you really want is to port EIR to other languages?
no. Maybe I talk too much, or can't explain myself clearly.. That's not my primary goal. The English launcher is not a real problem. Although it would be nice if it could be localized.

One of the problems is The Ultimate Guide. It is hard to understand even in English, so it is almost impossible to understand for someone who does not speak English.
Second problem is the Ventrillo. For a good game you need communication. If you can't speak with someone in your team, then you have a disadvantage compared to players who can speak with each other. If you go to a server where everyone understands your native language, then you can team up with anyone. Even if you lose, it is a much better game experience when you can speak with your teammates.

So my goal is to create an opportunity for anyone to try this mod as easily as possible.. I have a web server, I have the knowledge to make a good web site and make the web service to connect to the game. Store the game data, make a nice presentation of the data..
I can create a functionality where you can form a clan with your friends on the web site and organize tournaments against other clans.
I can create a functionality for you to form a community in your native language. I can start different chat channels (servers) for your language. It can be done on one server as seamlessly that you won't even see other languages, if you don't want to.. I can give you permissions to create content on the site, not just posting comments in the forums..

I would like to build a web site, making the infrastructure. Not translating from English, or babysit players who does not speak English, or organizing your games. That anyone can do..

So the required things for me to even think about such web site:
1. option to connect to another site from the launcher. It is not configurable now, all the web addresses are hard coded in it..
2. I need to know what data I have to provide to the launcher. I need to know the SOAP communication between the launcher and site, to be compatible, to know the response to the every request.. So here I would need at least some documentation.
But my intention here (web site) to make it open source, so your code is closed mine is open, and the two would be compatible. It would be faster for me if I can see your code, and not only proof-test your documentation..

Scyn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 04:27:02 pm »

A) Who the hells needs clans to play EiR?

B) Why can't people that don't speak English obviously be in their own Ventrilo channel with others that speak the same language?

C) EiRR is still in it's Beta.

D) I think 'How to play' is pretty damn well laid out aside from people that can't read English.

E) I think your overall goal kind of defeats most of the progress they've made in recent months.

God is a genetically induced obsession that we interpret in such a way as to maintain our obedience.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 05:52:39 pm »

Ok, I now understand what it is that youre after  Grin

There arises several problems however.

1.  The backend and launcher are not complete.  It is buggy, and the gameplay *itself* is not complete.  Youre asking for an incomplete version, that, to get the full experience, Id have to maintain BOTH your and my version.

2.  This website itself does no asmx transfers.  I could make the launcher configurable to connect to another backend.

3.  Who maintains the scar code upon a patch?  A new balance release?

At this stage, setting you up with a working server would take days - and Im not kidding.
I plan to make multi-language support when we progress past Beta, and then I guess we can talk more =)

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Snafoo Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:48 pm »

¿Que?
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 07:42:58 pm »

Lmao.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »

1.  The backend and launcher are not complete.  It is buggy, and the gameplay *itself* is not complete.  Youre asking for an incomplete version, that, to get the full experience, Id have to maintain BOTH your and my version.

(1) There is the AutoUpdater (VS2005)
(2) There is the launcher. (VS2005)
(3) There is the CoH module. (general CoH modification)
(4) There is the Simplemachines forum (PHP+MySql) (surprisingly it runs on IIS)
(5) custom SOAP service running on this web site domain (ASMX + ASP.NET)
(6) players data

I guess the players data is stored in the MySql database on this web site, and the SOAP service is used to create, download, update the players data from the launcher.

So I don't want to change (1),(2) and (3)
I would like to create and maintain a new website thing (4),(5),(6) Drupal + Apache + SOAP + PHP + MySql (nothing more), and I would like to make it compatible with the latest launcher.

So I don't really get what is the backend, and what is an incomplete version, and why do you have to maintain my version, there must be a mayor misunderstanding..
I know the whole thing (1-6) is not complete and buggy, but at least there could be two options where to play test the mod. And I would happily post you bug reports, if I find any with the communication between the launcher and the server.

Quote from: EIRRMod
2.  This website itself does no asmx transfers.  I could make the launcher configurable to connect to another backend.
But the web service (asmx) running on this domain do data transfer. Or am I absolutely mistaken with the architecture?
So the backend is the SOAP service? Anyway, that would be really great.

3.  Who maintains the scar code upon a patch?  A new balance release?
scar code is part of the CoH module, as I know. That is point (3), that's not my thing. As I said I don't want to modify anything in the mod, no translation, nothing.
Or does the scar code have any connection with the web site?

At this stage, setting you up with a working server would take days - and Im not kidding.
Setting up a working server (of this size) when you already have another working server, should be a question of minutes. So you really suck at this Smiley Sorry, no offense..

I plan to make multi-language support when we progress past Beta, and then I guess we can talk more =)
multi-language support, where?
in the launcher? ok, anytime
on the website? do not worry about that

btw beta, do you have any version numbering, release plan?
the launcher is 0.5.0b
the autoUpdater is v1.04
the mod version is 1.4.4
ok, so I guess the beta would be the "b" in the launcher version..
Pasqualle Offline
Coder

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »

D) I think 'How to play' is pretty damn well laid out aside from people that can't read English.

I did not have the chance to play this mod yet, and I tried to understand how and when my units will spawn in the game, and which one will come in with the next reinforcement. The answer is hard to find. It is not in that looong guide, but I found it in one really old video tutorial.. When you once played the mod, then it is evident.
And I still do not know what is the ninth box on the battalion screen. I did not find any info about that..

But I must agree the documentation is pretty good.
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 08:56:46 pm »

OK  pasqualle,

I watched this thread and read your questions and statements.   From what i can see here your asking for access to the mod to create a website and a support point for EIR.  The Sole purpose is

to: enhance these features and or maintain and change them
(4) There is the Simplemachines forum (PHP+MySql) (surprisingly it runs on IIS)
(5) custom SOAP service running on this web site domain (ASMX + ASP.NET)
(6) players data

from your original post your suggesting to do this in a different language or have multi language support that then intergrates with the back and draws data from it for greater statistical depth? as well as better website setup?

I presume you believe it can be done better and obviously thats a great and passionate position to take.

But at the same time your asking a team to create a seperate site? for the Mod outside of the current development team.  That team while dormant at times does encompass all aspects of the mod including gameplay and webiste development.  At this point once we have it up and running again we are focusing all our attention on gameplay and the launcher which i think is fair,  and seeing as this current webiste and setup has adequatly served the community for over 2 years there is no real need to change that while we are still focusing on the fundemental areas of the mod.

Your suggestion of the OMG debacle was not really needed no matter what the circumstances as now that is now firmly in the past where it should stay. 

I see your suggesting it will be open source and thats all fair and well,  but i think its fair to say respetfully to your current offer would be thank-you but no for now.

I think aside from calling our lead coder crap, we have respetfully declined your request, but at the same time if you wished to join the team and work with us on the project then it might have been looked at differently.

I would maybe suggest you take this to PM's to the lead developer and discuss this in more depth there.

stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 10:46:46 pm »

Cleaned up the thread.

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 11:07:10 pm »

In hindsight, I should have gone straight to PMs, however, on closing:

Setting up a working server (of this size) when you already have another working server, should be a question of minutes. So you really suck at this Smiley Sorry, no offense..

Your distinct arrogance aside, what I meant by this iwas; *I* have limited time per day. So, to set you up, and explain all the different particulars of what works with what, and why - would take days.
And now, after your charming comment, thats not going to happen.

Thanks for your input - we will now see to it ourselves that other languages are supported, unfortunately, without your help.

Thread Closed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc