Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:24:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6p_Monte Cassino [UPDATED]  (Read 10232 times)
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« on: March 07, 2010, 08:21:23 am »

UPDATE 12-04-2010:

- Screenshots to further clarify the changes coming soon. See tacmap below for new sectors. See Screenshot 1 below for changes in the middle.
- Moved 1 southern spawn point from the bottom right corner to the middle.
- Multiple hedges have been slightly changed in size.
- Added extra cover just south of the middle, couple craters and bushes for light cover, 1 car wreck and 1 sherman wreck for heavy cover. In order to make assaulting the middle more viable. (see Screenshot 1)
- Added a small bush line in the middle, next to the search light, (southern area) to slightly block Line of Fire of units camping in the middle - players in the south can attack middle easier due to this and have flanking options. (see Screenshot 1)
- The small road in the middle linking the town to the middle, thru a gap in the hedge, has been removed, gap has been closed with simple hedges so you can still destroy or crush it to (re)create a new way into the town. (see Screenshot 1)
- This specific hedge is abit tweaked to give southern players better acces to the town.
- New sectors added (4) to improve gameplay and to make sure players use the edges of the map. (just cut 4 sectors around the middle in half, 2 on each side) SEE RED LINES ON TACMAP.
- *New* CUT OFF sectors created (4), this allows backcapping to be very effective, making it possible to cut off the enemy. SEE BLUE AND GREEN SECTORS. These sectors link to Strongpoints (house + trench) making this very important positions as originally intended. SEE BLACK X's.
- If something fails it will be reverted back.
- Keep posting feedback, all feedback up to now has been taking into account and has mostly been changed in this update, thanks.

Old tacmap/sectors:

Still Old tacmap/sectors but new sectors put in with paint to show them more clearly:

Screenshot 1: you're looking at the area just south of the middle, new craters, bushes and heavy cover created, aswell as the small bushline next to the searchlight, you can also see the hedge seperating middle and the town on the right, it is now closed and slightly adjusted.

-------------------

This map I made is all about flanking.
There should always be some way of flanking the enemy positions.
On the left side of the map you will find a lot of hedgerows which enables you to always find several ways to flank the enemy. Along side the hedgerows there is a big road going around it if you want to flank quickly with vehicles. This road actually goes in a circle around the map, which enables you to make mass encirclements.

In the middle there is a big defensive position where you will be fighting for, more open spaces here.

On the right there are some buildings where you can fight to control the city. Here you can also take a road to get behind the town.

Overall it has open spaces, hedgerows which ofcourse can be crushed, some houses for strongpoints and city fighting.

Here are some screenshots of some areas, doesnt show the entire map.

Map overview, the HQ sectors are on the left and right of the picture, at the top (which ingame is left) you can see the hedgerows, etc.

Southwest (bottomleft)

Northwest

South of the middle

Middle

North of the middle

Little town on the right side

Story behind the map:

"The Allied invasion of Italy started on the 3rd of September, 1943. German Field Marshall Albert Kesselring was ordered to stop the enemy forces moving further into Italy. Kesselring set up a formidable defensive line all across Italy, called the 'Gustav Line', streching from sea to sea. For months of intense fighting the Allies took extremely heavy casualties, without any strategic gain. The Gustave Line seemed impregnable and big measures had to be taken. The Allies intensified their bombing which eventually resulted in the destuction of the Monte Cassino Monastery, build in 529 AD. German forces reacted by constructing AA batteries all along the front. Near the town of Monte Cassino preparations were made to install a battery of 88mm Flak guns. Before it could be finished the Allies took control of the area after days of heavy fighting. The importance of this territory was known by both sides, Kesselring personally ordered a strong counter-attack to get it back, at all costs."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:50:14 am by skaffa » Logged

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:19 am »

My god this map is open... and I love it!  Cheesy

Can't wait to play this. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a new map

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:32:40 am »

Will be in the autoupdater tonight.
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:47:45 am »

low graphics burn my eyes.

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:50:29 am »

where are the spawns? coz as it seems now the spawns are totally open. wont you be lost once pushed back? just set up a few atgs.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:52:37 am »

where are the spawns? coz as it seems now the spawns are totally open. wont you be lost once pushed back? just set up a few atgs.

Spawn buff?
I don't think it really matters.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:38 am »

lookin top notch Skaffa!

Glad to see we got more mappers

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »

had my first game on it. Its an excellent map, skaffa!

I wish i could offer some criticism on it. Maybe more craters for some yellow cover, or some haystacks.

Edit- ok, i looked over the tac map and watched the replay.

seems to me the team from the left/ southern team have the advantage of the flanks.

The hedge system you got extends into the southern team's half of the map, and ends at the beginning of the northern. A good south team will be able to plug the north team's entrance into the hedges, and thus have access to the north teams flank at whim unless the north team devotes superior troops to hold their entrance.

Those houses at the northern team's entrance can become super strongholds with minimal effort, when some MGs and atgs around them.

Also another thing to note is that the southern half of the map can be more condusive to camping, with more and larger foliage that can be used to hide mortars and arty pieces.

My opinion. Extend the hedge system into the area that i labeled as "totally open", and increase the size of the northern blocking hedges, or reduce the southern team's block hedges that I have circled on the tac map.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:23:15 pm by Groundfire » Logged
bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 11:16:45 pm »

The spawns should be split up. Two players shouldn't spawn at the same place. One player should probably spawn in the middle.

CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:09 pm »

indeed, it appears that the spawns lead to a 2v1 on both sides in ME mode.  Should either be 3 together or 3 equally apart, not 2 in corner, and 1 in the other corner.  Also, I'm not sure putting so much green cover in the middle is a good idea...but I've only played on it once, so I will reserve my judgment on that for after further games.

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:47:47 am »

a few things, most other people have already said these:

1.  It needs a middle spawn, think like tanteville or so.  You could probably make a small road from these spawns.
2.  Sectors need to be less square and also smaller, i'm thinking long sectors at the north and south for better flanking, and smaller sectors in the middle. 

3. Make it easier to recapture the middle, right now the only way to attack the middle is by throwing wave after wave of artillery in or by attacking through the north or south, no safe direct route.  I'd suggest to add a building east and west of the middle and maybe some extra cover like wheelbarrows/holes etc.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:56:00 am »

If you played any games on it - I havent yet - pls post the replays, or PM me the download link, so I can take a look and see how it plays out. Ofcourse ill be playing it myself, hopefully tonight, but the more the better.

Thanks for all the comments so far.
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:04 am »

3. Make it easier to recapture the middle, right now the only way to attack the middle is by throwing wave after wave of artillery in or by attacking through the north or south, no safe direct route.  I'd suggest to add a building east and west of the middle and maybe some extra cover like wheelbarrows/holes etc.

This is so true, ive played this now twice, in the 1st game literally axis and allied artillery was dropping on the same area, as the respective waves moved in.  It was nebel strikes and officer arty from the axis with a FOO and howitzer fire from the other. Very spectacular, but also nutz considering the area being fought over. 

Dnicee Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:51:22 am »

I just loved this map!! Nice work!

I just love the middle, its more like inf to the middle and tanks on the side.  Cheesy

love it

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:33 am »

Map has been updated, see first post.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:09:45 am »

Map has been updated, see first post for info and screenshots.

The spawns should be split up. Two players shouldn't spawn at the same place. One player should probably spawn in the middle.

Fixed in update.

indeed, it appears that the spawns lead to a 2v1 on both sides in ME mode.  Should either be 3 together or 3 equally apart, not 2 in corner, and 1 in the other corner.  Also, I'm not sure putting so much green cover in the middle is a good idea...but I've only played on it once, so I will reserve my judgment on that for after further games.

Spawn fixed to be in the middle. (agreed, it did lead to 2v1 quite quickly)
In the middle it has a lot of walls, but not everthing gives green cover, only some parts, you still have to place your units properly.

a few things, most other people have already said these:

1.  It needs a middle spawn, think like tanteville or so.  You could probably make a small road from these spawns.
2.  Sectors need to be less square and also smaller, i'm thinking long sectors at the north and south for better flanking, and smaller sectors in the middle. 

1. Fixed in update.
2. Changed and added sectors. Problem was most people didnt use the edge of the maps, they mostly rushed thru middle and around the middle. Now with new sectors on the edges, fighting should be more spread, more fighting about territory, more flanking as originaly intended. New sectors also allow to cutt off the enemy by capping along the edge of the maps or rushing thru the middle and controlling the Strongpoints (see Black X on tacmap)
3. Fixed in update. More cover all around to make attacking middle against a defending army more viable. (see Screenshot 1)

Quote from: Nevyen

This is so true, ive played this now twice, in the 1st game literally axis and allied artillery was dropping on the same area, as the respective waves moved in.  It was nebel strikes and officer arty from the axis with a FOO and howitzer fire from the other. Very spectacular, but also nutz considering the area being fought over. 

Fixed in update. Middle should now be easier to re-capture.

I just loved this map!! Nice work!

I just love the middle, its more like inf to the middle and tanks on the side.  Cheesy

love it

Im glad to hear that.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 05:13:57 am »

you have U shaped territories? 0.o
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 05:32:02 am »

Yes, something entirely new.

If you cap both the cut off sectors on the enemy's half of the map you can cut them off entirely. You have to be connected to it tho but that is made easier with the small sectors at the edge of the map.
They are hard to hold for the enemy trying to cap them due to their shape, and easy for the defender to hold.
They are connected to the trench and house combo (Strongpoints) you can find on both sides of the map (see Black X's). If you control these Strongpoints you can occupy both sectors easily. This can either be usefull for defending and holding the sectors under your control, or it can be used by the attacking force trying to attack and hold these points to go for major map controll. These Strongpoints are close to the enemy spawns and far away from their own, so attacking one can be a big pay off but at the same time the risk will be very high and it wont be too easy for the attacking force.
This could lead to some great gameplay.
Backcapping becomes more powerfull, cutting off the enemy will be easier to achieve compared to other maps, it allows teams to think of new strategies (attack along the sides or all out attack on a Strongpoint to achieve a major cut off).
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:43 am »

That is incredibly interesting skaffa

Im deff. going to have to try this out. From the looks of it, you only really need to guard the flanks of the "U" territories to guard them.

This will deffinately for sure, keep anything from getting locked down on this map, if your able to cut off territories.

Feels like vCoH again. Smiley
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:53:16 am »

Yes, something entirely new.

If you cap both the cut off sectors on the enemy's half of the map you can cut them off entirely. You have to be connected to it tho but that is made easier with the small sectors at the edge of the map.
They are hard to hold for the enemy trying to cap them due to their shape, and easy for the defender to hold.
They are connected to the trench and house combo (Strongpoints) you can find on both sides of the map (see Black X's). If you control these Strongpoints you can occupy both sectors easily. This can either be usefull for defending and holding the sectors under your control, or it can be used by the attacking force trying to attack and hold these points to go for major map controll. These Strongpoints are close to the enemy spawns and far away from their own, so attacking one can be a big pay off but at the same time the risk will be very high and it wont be too easy for the attacking force.
This could lead to some great gameplay.
Backcapping becomes more powerfull, cutting off the enemy will be easier to achieve compared to other maps, it allows teams to think of new strategies (attack along the sides or all out attack on a Strongpoint to achieve a major cut off).

Wont this cause problems for you?

Ha ha.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc