Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:00:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troop Availability for Different Company Builds  (Read 4077 times)
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 24, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »

The company build in EiRR in my opinion, is unimaginative and stale due to restrictions by the availability system.

One on hand, you argue that there is the "in supply" and PP system of customising troops, but there is only so much you can customise them to and in battle, you lose troops fast. Even when the PP system is implemented properly, there is still the downside of losing PP in complex customisations during desperate battles.

I propose that a choice of availability be given to the players such as;

1. More Infantry in General
2. More Tanks in General
3. More Support Weapons in General.

As it goes, axis have a nice split of 8 grens and 8 volks. What if I don't want to use grenadiers at all? I want to use volks only? Paying 6 PP in total for volks above the limit seems hardly wise.

Why not simply let the players choose what they want while limiting other options?

If players want to play an All-Infantry company, let them have more infantry choices in general but restrict their tank purchases severely. Like wise for Support Companies and Tank companies.

In terms of abundance;

Infantry Company: Most Inf, Avg Support Weapons, Least Tanks
Tank Company: Most Tanks, Avg. Inf, Least Support Weapons.
Support Company: Most Support Weapons, Avg. Inf, Least Tanks.

If not, simply let them assign availability themselves to the group of units! Let them have a choice of elite/special units to use.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:22:55 pm »

actually I have been contemplating a second layer to the Reinforcement packages that might be able to be used in somewhat this manner.

been fleshing it out a bit.

Pak75mm Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »

i choose to build all my companies i built in EIR to just massacre infantry. I fine that it lets me do that.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:05:36 pm »

Why not just give everyone an A B and C choice, and have it set that way.

A = most
B = moderate
C = least

You get to assign them where you want.

So you could go support heavy with secondary armor or infantry, or Armor heavy with infantry second, etc.

CommanderHolt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:11:18 pm »

What about Light vehicles?
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:51 am »

You get to assign them where you want.

Thats what I was suggesting in closing my post but I guess I didn't translate it too well.

Light vehicles would be admittedly difficult to rank. Maybe they can have

1x Most Abundant
2x Normal
1x Rare

To assign respectively to their division make up? If someone is going to include artillery pieces etc etc then I supposed a middle ground will have to be reached somewhere. So far the generic catergories are like;

Armour
Infantry
Support Weapons
Vehicles
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:11:59 am »

I think one way to do this but i dont know if it can be done, is to give each unit a hidden point system and as you add in units, points get taken off, but there is still a high numbers so you can't just have say 30 rifles, maybe cap it off at 20-24 or something like that.

so say in a standard set up, the mid ground is 12 rifle and 4 shermans as it is now but say i want to add more rifles, and dont want 1 sherman, i sac one sherman for 4 rifles, .i can get up to 20 rifles but then i'm only limted to 2 shermans. after this (assuming high cap is 20)

as for light vehicles...i think you stick with availability so they're not spammed, ditto support but your main units are infantry and tanks, so you put that only in the system.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
MistenTH Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:58 am »

Sounds like this was inspired by World in Conflict's system hee.

So; seems like:

[1] Create new company
[2] Select doctrine
[3] Select company composition -> affects unit availability / manpower-fuel initial values

Be cool to have more customisation, 10 medium tank companies, or 30+ infantry squads running around. I wonder how many blob threads will pop up after that o.o

Point system that autoscales sounds nice, but might be harder to code. Give us a hint Salan!
gamesguy2 Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:58:13 am »

There are enough support weapon spam companies as it is without letting people buy more than 4 MGs without paying PP.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 02:21:38 am »

Sounds like this was inspired by World in Conflict's system hee.

So; seems like:

[1] Create new company
[2] Select doctrine
[3] Select company composition -> affects unit availability / manpower-fuel initial values

Be cool to have more customisation, 10 medium tank companies, or 30+ infantry squads running around. I wonder how many blob threads will pop up after that o.o

Point system that autoscales sounds nice, but might be harder to code. Give us a hint Salan!

I hate wic...i loved it at first but wheni found out how stupidly simple the game was and how there was no realism at all in it and how it was just too dumb (basically same units on each side and no uniqueness) i just stopped pl aying...wasn't fun anymore
MistenTH Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:34 am »

There are enough support weapon spam companies as it is without letting people buy more than 4 MGs without paying PP.

Old EiR without availability anyone could spam whatever they want. Mass support weapon companies weren't really a big issue from the threads back then. The problem was usually solved with copious amounts of artillery and off-maps. We don't have off-maps here yet but artillery seems decent enough ^.^ Having fun with arty right now!
gamesguy2 Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:06 am »

Old EiR without availability anyone could spam whatever they want. Mass support weapon companies weren't really a big issue from the threads back then. The problem was usually solved with copious amounts of artillery and off-maps. We don't have off-maps here yet but artillery seems decent enough ^.^ Having fun with arty right now!

Ya but as you said, allies had a metric crapload of arty in old EIR.  DRR calliope, howitzers(didnt you have a 7 howie company?), strafing run, bombing run, 105 offmap, etc.

Not true in EIRR, which is why support weapon spam is so prevalent.
MistenTH Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 03:21:20 am »

It was a 6 howitzer company, though I rarely got to call out more than 3. Axis tended to run out of off-maps by then.

But anyways, the main dynamic that is mentioned is infantry/vehicles/tanks. Support weapons can be kept static.
VariantThirteen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 04:59:31 am »

I don't think that the problem of the last war was the lack of PP restrictions, it was supply bonuses, oversupply and price reductions that led to rediculous spam. Also, it wasn't spam in general that was the problem, it was specific units, particularly Shermans and AB, because a non-oversupplied company simply had to attrite themselves against those units and would run out of counters first.

Personally, I liked that Axis and Allies fundamentally had to play differently to win. As Axis Defending, the basic idea was to hold the line until they got booted off the battlefield - killing units wasn't important because there'd always be more roflmen to cap and press you, and there'd always be more cheap armour to harry your lines, create and exploit gaps.

A few things messed with it pretty hard, Oversupplied Airborne, Air Superiority and Callies being the main ones, but other things really added to the feeling in a good way, like OBM and the price reduction mechanics on some units.

I think that PP should be reworked so that everything has a PP cost from the first unit bought, but that more PP is given out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc