Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:02:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Ranger Players tactics?  (Read 7641 times)
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: May 21, 2011, 01:40:06 am »

Ive been messing with the US doctrine every which way. Never really satisfied.
Thinking of dropping howi/officer support for Med Station and Rangers.

I love the Rangers tough and deadly, but eat up MU like crazy. Which is something i need for an Inf company.

I went also with Inf Equipment. And grease guns is pretty deadly up close.
New tactic im trying is HT with 2 inf and grease guns and grenades  for AI, and HT with 2inf w/ zooks and stickies for AT. Both work pretty good. Actually think 2zooks and stickies works better than 4 zooks.

Anyways im wondering what ranger players do for tactics. And how do they find balance with the MU issue.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:40:36 am »

Depends, I'm one of the masters of rangers, my favorite unit in the whole game heh.

Are you playing an anti-vehicle or anti-inf Ranger company, and do you care about tanks/vehicles or not?  My Ranger Company excludes all support weapons (they're shit terrible) except for 3-5 howitzers, I use jumbo tanks to cut back on MU and use nothing but an army of SMG rangers (some zooks but ever since TR they're just not worth having, and the loss of the +1 SMG with zook upgrade sucks too) and 2 triage centers.  The idea of the company is to kill inf (duh!) and keep your forces on the field but smartly healing after engagements if they are low on life or when there is a lull in the battle.  Leave AT work for allies and Brits, or use rangers to reman 17lbers (which are beasts with their great HP on the gun, better cover shield making it hard to hit the crew, and having one of the best men recrew it makes them nigh impossible to kill almost).

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:24:45 am »

shit unit is shit

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:32:08 am »

You need to be very very very good and lucky using rangers for the AI role because while they may kill a lot, losing a squad is very expensive so you could still lose out.

For me, I use tanks / BAR riflemen as AI and Rangers with bazookas as AT together with 57mms.
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:38:15 am »

^Rifles with zooks (and stickies) work just as well for a lesser cost and pool occupation. I stick them on my vetted rifles and watch the fireworks...  Ranger's primary role is inf rapage Tongue. Give them thompsons, grenades, and if you have it, first aid kits, and you should be good to go. 2 rangers in that format chew shit up, even without vet. The dual zooks dont offer much more flare or improvement of effect, at least in my experience.

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
WildZontar Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:04:45 am »

Depends, I'm one of the masters of rangers, my favorite unit in the whole game heh.

I think you're the only one who mastered the rangers. Even I have trouble still playing them.

I also just noticed that my Rangers are still on the leaderboards, I thought there had been a wipe  Grin

Rangers are incredibly awesome units and the Oversupplied T3 and Operation Overloard buffs them considerably if you keep them around Jumbos while you let someone else take care of the Tanks. I run a couple of ATGs just in case, and if willing I'll pick up ATGs occasionaly, but only with the flame engineers I have. I only run one triage that comes with an engineer that has flamethrowers considering the amount of buildings in most maps that I've played on.

Zontar is a filthy sludge-dwelling muppet, thats why.
Y U SAVED US FROM GOING INTO BANKRUPT!
ALL BOW DOWN TO WILDZONTAR!
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:01:22 pm »

Are you playing an anti-vehicle or anti-inf Ranger company, and do you care about tanks/vehicles or not?  My Ranger Company excludes all support weapons (they're shit terrible) except for 3-5 howitzers, I use jumbo tanks to cut back on MU and use nothing but an army of SMG rangers (some zooks but ever since TR they're just not worth having, and the loss of the +1 SMG with zook upgrade sucks too) and 2 triage centers.  The idea of the company is to kill inf (duh!) and keep your forces on the field but smartly healing after engagements if they are low on life or when there is a lull in the battle.  Leave AT work for allies and Brits, or use rangers to reman 17lbers (which are beasts with their great HP on the gun, better cover shield making it hard to hit the crew, and having one of the best men recrew it makes them nigh impossible to kill almost).

sounds pretty hardcore. But i imagine if u team up with strangers, you will fuck them over if the axis are going armor strong. I think jumbos alone make the best tools for Anti Inf. Ive been seeing lots of inf axis blobs of as late. Sending rangers or inf bars into that mess is suicide. But jumbos will make good work of that.

I went TR. Mostly because lots of times my ATG teams almost kill a tank, only for it to escape. And i need a way to stop the extra tough heavy armors. Also love the jumbo, so now it can tangle with medium tanks no problem.

While we all can agree that u should use rangers to get a hard job done. Equipping them w/ smgs and grenades means you just short yourself out of MU for about 4 inf squads.

Though i do wonder if my HT 2 inf w/ greasguns will be better with a HT and 1 Ranger w/ Tommys?

I guess it might be wiser to build a company around rangers than rangers around the company? As even vanilla rangers are worth the extra manpower it seems.  Thats why i cant rap my head around the cost
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:50:01 pm »

lol,wonder how it works in 2v2 vs 2 KT's  Grin
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

Why dont you and kruno find out?

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 02:26:08 pm »

lol,wonder how it works in 2v2 vs 2 KT's  Grin
Probably not pretty well. Since when you bring them both on, seeing as they are slow as fuck. Just ignore them and go ROUND them Cheesy

EiRNames:- MittinsKittens & FlutterShyPegasus
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »

Probably not pretty well. Since when you bring them both on, seeing as they are slow as fuck. Just ignore them and go ROUND them Cheesy

they arent that slow. and their range and power, and obvious back up of lighter vehicles or infantry will make that kind of avoidable. And they will catch up to you after the fireup fatigue.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:46:07 pm by Poppi » Logged
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

The key with the KT is not to use it reactively, force the enemy to deal with it.

For Rangers, I would suggest flanking. Also make sure to back them routh an ATG and HMG or   mortar

smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 12:03:29 am »

Why dont you and kruno find out?

kruno rarely plays these days  Cry ...he even got mad on me,cuz I got drunk and told one of our friends some things that I shouldn't have had,lol

Since when you bring them both on, seeing as they are slow as fuck.

vet3 KT has Tiger speed?!
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:31:01 am »

kruno rarely plays these days  Cry ...he even got mad on me,cuz I got drunk and told one of our friends some things that I shouldn't have had,lol

Why are you so something something?

just get a new stack buddy.
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 04:07:47 am »

after patch and my thoughts.
with tommy reduction, im still not liking rangers that well.

pop6, 310 MP, 145+ MU.
After 2 or 3 it takes a toll and you realize you can get like 3 inf with bars and sticky for evey 2 rangers. After a few rangers it can cut down the size of your company. Plus with oversupplied that +1 Bar, GREATLY out does the 1 tommy, same goes for the grease gun, and sticky way better than 2 zooks.  Take back how i said zooks have their place. Their damage and pen and acc is greatly low when u need them the most,and at 80mu? No thanks. So i think the price is too high, or even if lower i think they still just suck. But thats okay i guess. Tommies are the main problem. Suck all your MU for what?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:20:04 am by Poppi » Logged
cloud234 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:03 am »

pop6 310 MP, 145+ MU.
After 2 or 3 it takes a toll and you realize you can get like 3 inf with bars and sticky for evey 2 rangers.

I will make the comparison of rangers with commandos w/ stens because they are quite similar.

1. Smoke > Fire up. Instantly disabling Assault + firing while invisible is way better.
2. 6 Sten guns > 4 Thompsons in total DPS... plus they are cheaper.

They both need triages/CCS to make them cost worthy. For a weapon that is priced nearly as steeply as a STG44 but performs marginally better than an MP40. Its really not worth it.

Take back how i said zooks have their place. Their damage and pen and acc is greatly low when u need them the most,and at 80mu? No thanks. So i think the price is too high, or even if lower i think they still just suck. But thats okay i guess. Tommies are the main problem. Suck all your MU for what?

The only good thing Ranger zooks is for... is for killing light vehicles and PE. They really can't do anything beyond that. Even boys AT rifles might be better because it hits more often at long range.

Me and cloud just went through the stats of the sten and the thompson..

Essentially, the sten and thompson share the exact same stats except the sten has :

*shorter cooldown.
*Lower reload frequency

Thompson has :

*Faster reload (very marginal)
*Better at fighting KCH and falls

Other than that.. They're the exact same weapon with the same burst duration, bullets per burst, accuracy, damage, moving modifiers, suppressed target modifiers, etc. etc.

And you get 6 stens for 135 mu, while only 4 thompsons for 180.

Something smells rotten in Denmark here.

Edit: I believe this to be correct. Correct me if I'm wrong. MP40 really has a good Medium range DPS amazingly. Contribution due to longer burst time, shorter cool down period, higher accuracy at mid range and more bursts before reload.

Thompsons SMGs are too expensive. I just did the DPS with LeoPhone's DPS thread. Heres a comparison of SMGs & ARs...

# mp40_smg.rgd
  | Zaxis S DPS = 15.13
  | Zaxis M DPS = 6.55
  | Zaxis L DPS = 1.19

# mp44_assault_rifle.rgd
  | Zaxis S DPS = 19.43
  | Zaxis M DPS = 3.91
  | Zaxis L DPS = 1.02

# m1_thompson_smg.rgd
  | Zaxis S DPS = 16.27
  | Zaxis M DPS = 2.81
  | Zaxis L DPS = 1.11

# cw_sten_smg.rgd
  | Zaxis S DPS = 18.97
  | Zaxis M DPS = 2.85
  | Zaxis L DPS = 1.07

So you're telling me you're paying 180 munitions for 4 Thompsons when you can get 6 Stens at 135 Munitions? Higher DPS, better platform etc.

Also, this makes MP40 the indisputable poor man's champion against thompsons at 60 munitions for 5 MP40s... thats dirt ass cheap. Just to be fair...

Thompsons Medium range is 17, MP40s Medium range is 15. Though I don't see how anyone can magically discern 2 coh metres...

There are some differences in "Target Tables" notably being Infantry Elite & Infantry Heroic where Thompson performs better than Stens by 66% and 28% better

respectively according to the percentage change value calculation.

However, Sten makes up for it by being superiorly cheaper... and having 50% more stens (6 vs 4) than thompsons when purchased.

Stens are still cheaper and with 50% more stens, will still outdps the Thompsons regardless of modifiers. Smoke + invis firing also ensures they can fight Elite Inf better... though that is not their best usage.

You can revisit that long balance thread which covered all existing issues tbh.

http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?topic=19316.15
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 06:26:09 am »

tbh I gave up on using rangers a long time ago. Using them for AI is too cost ineffective and using them for AT is risky at best. I use riflemen with zooks, and they're freaking brilliant.

But like anything, I still return to rangers because I love the platform to bits. The best way i've found to use them is just to get hordes and hordes of them. You'll beat every PE player every time. I know skaffa says he uses this company too, it works for me Cheesy
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:28 am »

Tbh the trick isnt to SPAM assault rangers, because it fails without AT. Its just to have that squad around to beat any other squad in the open, and then retreat to heal. Your enemy knowing you have a scissor to his paper can be just as good as cutting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:58:35 am by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »

i found vanilla rangers to be actually cost efficient as far as vanilla soldiers go.
They can actually score a few kills in cover with just their rifles.

And i guess axis players ignore or dont blob that vanilla ranger, b/c they dont see them as a threat without tommys.

tried rangers with just zooks, but zooks short range make it hard to approach just about any vehicle out there. Never minding the scatter of the rockets or if it penetrates.

ATboys at least hit their targets and at a good range.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:23 pm »

Zooks have something of a knack for hitting rear armour at max range.

You shouldn't be wasting a shot on the front armour of most tanks unless you've got some doom blob going on and you have enough zooks to blot out the sun.

Use them in pairs and flank, most tanks will come down surprisingly fast unless micro'd well.

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc