Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:47:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 29, 2024, 01:55:18 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More EiR Maps  (Read 6947 times)
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« on: July 20, 2007, 09:40:38 pm »

We need more maps created for EiR. Road to Carentan is a great example but that's about the only functional map too, including vanilla maps. As you might have noticed the VP-ticker goes really fast on most other maps. The more sectors there are on a map, the more sectors the attacker(s) need to neutralize and cap before stopping the ticker. So even though the number of VPs are proportional to the amount of sectors the higher number of sectors the larger advantage the defender will have, in general. Keep this in mind when drawing sectors. Personally, I like the sector layout on Road to Carentan.

I see a lot of potential in the maps posted but you need to finish them so we can play test.

Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:52:14 pm »

Is anyone playing road to carentan?

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Blades Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:07:32 am »

Yes, I've played a couple times on road to carentan.  Good map.

I'm intrigued by the sector layout on it, I feel its too artificial in many ways, but is a good idea overall.  I need to actively start working on a single map, instead of the 5 or so vague plans I have plotted out, so I can provide better commentary.  But I really feel that the sectors should, at least in some way, line up with the terrain.  Because, honestly, my squad of volks on one side of an impenetrable forest really aren't contesting the same patch of land as the rifles on the other side. Cheesy
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:43:39 am »

Is there some sort of mapping tutorial video that can be created?

Please?

I want to map (even looked through RelicCrank), but the controls are not intuitive, and are hard to comprehend for noobs like me.

Or we could get the "map assembly line" idea underway, the one with...

1: Information gatherers (people who come up with photos, Allied/Axis planning boards, etc.)
2: Concept Artists (draw basic idea/outline of a map)
3: Rough Draft (draw basic topography/primary map concepts like hills, roads, etc)
4: RD2 (add more like water, some splats, and individualized stuff like sandbags/dead cows).
5: Final Draft (smooth out map, add splats/other eye candy.other missed essentials. Basically polish the map)
6: Moderator (just pass the map to Unknown or something for approval)

But would this be effective? Or too complicated for a system like this? Frankly, I think we might need an assembly line of some sort to create 50+ maps of Western Europe. Or we could enlist external help.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:46:23 am by acker » Logged
TheDeadlyShoe Offline
Weapon of Math Destruction
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:46:21 am »

One thing that might be worthwhile is creating eir versions of suitable stock maps (like rails and metal or Lyon) with fewer, larger sectors.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:40:17 am »

Anyone can do that so I'd rather spend my time on making brand new maps Tongue.

I'll be working on updating airfield and vierville with the new sector layouts for VP mode. I'll also slap together another 1vs1 map. (And patch up Nuenen)

There's some vCoH mappers around like Henry & supaunknown so hopefully they read this and decide to give EiR mapping a try Smiley.
Raddish Offline
The one who wasnt what was
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 06:09:56 am »

my problem is im totaly stuck for idea for a new map, thats all i need and i can make a good map for you all.

acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 09:38:52 am »

Isn't there a "map idea posting" thread that had a lot of ideas?

Unknown used some of the ideas, but there should be about a dozen left.
Skunker Offline
Koenigstiger Panzerfuehrer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 10:02:40 am »

Lai, try mine. It uses a similar sort of sector layout as unknown's.  In general, I have 2 more maps planned, one is already being made, the other is still a concept only.

Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:46:51 am »

I'm goona try it.
DasGuntLord01 Offline
Shoutcaster

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 07:37:03 am »

Yes, I've played a couple times on road to carentan.  Good map.

I'm intrigued by the sector layout on it, I feel its too artificial in many ways, but is a good idea overall.

I totally agree.  I think it needs to be less rectangular.  Add a little un-even-ness to the boundaries, but keep the same general positions for the sectors.

Now accepting awesome replays for shoutcasting!
TheDeadlyShoe Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 07:58:32 am »

i try to get people to play highway 54 but theyre all too lazy to download it

we need another eir map pack

DasGuntLord01 Offline
Shoutcaster

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:00:55 am »

Or we could get the "map assembly line" idea underway, the one with...

1: Information gatherers (people who come up with photos, Allied/Axis planning boards, etc.)
2: Concept Artists (draw basic idea/outline of a map)
3: Rough Draft (draw basic topography/primary map concepts like hills, roads, etc)
4: RD2 (add more like water, some splats, and individualized stuff like sandbags/dead cows).
5: Final Draft (smooth out map, add splats/other eye candy.other missed essentials. Basically polish the map)
6: Moderator (just pass the map to Unknown or something for approval)

This could work, but we couldn't possibly have it formalised or anything.  It would just have to be casual like, and following from that It cannot be relied upon to give us ALL of our maps, but seeing as we have alternative sources already, that isn't a problem.

If you have ideas, put them in an ideas thread, and if you like the idea, tell us that you are developing it.  If you finish a map, post it for everyone to test.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:03:05 am by DasGuntLord01 » Logged
TheDeadlyShoe Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:03:13 am »

feh, this is a mod, not a game studio.  even top end professional mods just have 'mappers'.   for one thing in an assembly line you become dependent on other people to get things done and other people often drop out for all sorts of reasons.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc