Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:46:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retreat  (Read 4665 times)
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 07, 2007, 12:24:44 am »

I think that the current Retreat system (50% losses) is too restrictive for strategic battles. For instance, if a higher-up wants a lower down to tie down an enemy postition or simply inflict as much damage as possible to a enemy company to whittle down on the higher-up's counterpart's resources, these actions are currently impossible with the Retreat button.

Therefore, I believe that a couple other ways to end the game should be considered.

1: If both players agree, a cease-fire/truce can be negotiated (helpful if one is fighting a delaying action, or needs to bluff in order to gain rienforcements, thoguh I doubt this option will be used much).

2: If a player fufills the following requirements...

A: Starts out with a CP pool of less than (15 or 20, I can't decide).
   B: Has no tanks (half-tracks and AT guns are ok).
   C: Completely controls one side of the map, and no territory related to the side in question is contested.

Then a person should be able to withdraw from a battle with minimal losses/no losses by passing all his units across the border of the map side that he controls. Think of this as a raid/guerrila warfare. While this may be useless to noobs due to the low starting CP, this could allow geniuses to cripple a superior enemy company while suffering minimal losses, steal desperately needed weapons, then escape.

The result of the battle would be counted as a loss as if the company had retreated (the opposing team then controls the territory), but, if the battle was fought across a meaningless strip of land that wasn't crucial to the defense, the battle could really bog down the opposing team.
Of course, I do not wish for this particular withdrawal to be OPed. Firstly, one has to fight with a force half as large as the opposing force. Second, withdrawing automatically ceeds the territory being fought over to the enemy, which would be a bad thing most of the time.

Any comments/suggestions?
naradaman Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 05:16:52 am »

The mechanics right now are quite fluid, they will change over the next few months with the alpha and beta testing stages. Retreating is a subject was have debated about internally and your input is valued.

The bottom line is though, it's very hard to tell exactly how things will play out before we actually get to play it.
Jaden Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:00:07 pm »

I agree, once Alpha testing is under way in full swing the devs will know what works and what dosn't work. Right now there can only be theroies D:
Raddish Offline
The one who wasnt what was
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:02:24 pm »

when the alpha comes out the devs will be happy enough to let many people try it and give them feedback on the mod.  that is when all the minor changes are likely to happen in my opinion  Cheesy

Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:29:17 am »

Wow, I can finally post!
Tactical retreating is very important. Stalling is part of tactical retreating and can very easily turn a retreat into a counter attack. There really needs to be a way to retreat without taking heavy casualties, without allowing it for people to  be routed without taking enough casualities.
I don't see any other way then playtesting to figure this out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc