Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:08:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VISTA USERS  (Read 13635 times)
Ashen Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: August 02, 2007, 07:45:23 am »

The Company of Heroes : Europe in Ruins Guide for Vista

Contents

1. Installation
2. Firewall
3. Running the Game
4. Connecting to Games
5. Teamspeak
6. Dx10 Hotfix.

Part 1. Installation

Due to the way Vista operates with User Access Control (UAC) and file system lockdown its important to not install to the default directory, I highly recommend creating a seperate folder for your game to install to (ie. C:\Games\CompanyofHeroes\ ). Installing to the default directory in Program Files will create nothing but issues, requiring Administrator privlidges at every step of way even if you disable UAC.
    IMPORTANT. Before Installing Europe in Ruins you Have to install the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" not installing this first will result in the "Side By Side Error" if you have installed the mod already thats fine you can reinstall the mod after installing the update.

Get the Update Here !!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

Hopefully Your ready for the next step Smiley

Part 2. Firewall

Vista is very picky with its firewalls, If your operating a 3rd party Firewall (I recommend Zonealarm 7) then dont worry too much about this step but it might pay to keep in mind that you will have to Allow access through that firewall for this game.
    Presuming that you are running the Standerd Firewall you need to update your firewall to allow several programs through.
  • EIR_Launcher.exe
  • EuropeInRuinsMod.exe
  • RelicCOH.exe
    If your unfamilar with Vista you can find the Firewall Options in the Start Menu, In Settings, Control Panel, Windows Firewall. From there all need to do is Click "Allow a Program through Windows Firewall" Located in the top left of the Firewall Window.
    Now under the Exceptions Tab Click "Add Program..." in the bottom Left. Select the Program you need to Unblock and click "Ok" If the programs dont appear select browse and locate them. You do remember where you installed them right Tongue

Part 3. Running the Game

Now due to User Access Control (UAC) some things will need to be run at "Special Privlidge Levels". You can turn UAC off but I recommend that Annoying as it is to Leave it on. However i will go into that at a later date. (for those who dont know what UAC is, thats the program that asks you the Cancel or Allow on a lot of programs or functions)
    When you first installed the game you ended up with Desktop icons right? Time to Right Click on these and select "Properties". Under the Compatibility Tab Select "Run as Administrator" at the bottom and select Ok. Dont worry about running in different modes for now.
    Unfortunatly everytime you run the game it will Request permission to run, You will soon get sick of Cancel or Allow but unless you have an excellent Firewall and Anti-Virus get over it Smiley
    You can run the game and mod without selecting this but chances are it wont work correctly or more than likely not at all. Even if it seems to work Administrator programs get right of Resources and thus run better.

Part 4. Connecting to Games

Ok so youv'e installed and pushed the files through the firewall, Youv'e gone ahead and created a Company but now your having trouble connecting to the games. This could be a number of issue's, Some of which I've encountered and some im sure will spring up later. First Check your router or ask the operator of your network to check your Port Forwarding. If the game does not connect to Relic Online at all then this could be your culprit, However it could also be Vista. If thats the case we will have to change Your Network Settings, Then we can look into Alternitive options like Hamachi.

Network Settings. By Default Vista will set all new networks to "Private" as part of its security. Most users shouldn't have issues with this but some do. What we need to do now is set your network to "Public" and allow it to "Discover" and in turn be "Discovered" by other net users.

DISCLAIMER : THESE SETTINGS WILL PRESENT AN ADDITIONAL SECURITY RISK AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED IF YOUR HAVING TROUBLE CONNECTING. IF YOU DONT DO AS YOUR MOTHER TOLD YOU AND LEAVE IT ALONE

Ok, Again look in your "Start" Menu, In Settings, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre. You should see a Picture of your Internet connection, Under this should be something along the lines of "Network (private Network), Directly opposite this ont he right hand side will be the word "Customise" in blue writing. Click this link. From there just select "Public Network" and select Next.
    Back in that first Screen but underneath the Network Customise link there will be a box titled "Sharing and Discovery" you should see "Network Discovery" in here, Turn this on.

If all else has failed as some players for varied reasons find you can always try using Hamachi. This is a last resort as its diffilcult to find players willing to use this program and/or set it up right. However if you must then Only Hamachi 1.0.1.5 can be used for Company of Heroes.

Get Hamachi 1.0.1.5 Here !!
http://filehippo.com/download/777ceb3a3447f5d17525e7fcb9d3fe9e/download

Its important to NOT update Hamachi otherwise you will conflict with everyone else. Follow the instructions built into Hamachi and you should be right, However you may have to Change you network to Public as aforementioned above.

Part 5. Teamspeak

Ok the next thing to do is install Teamspeak, Not much to mention here except for a small setting you may have to change. Windows Vista does not include support for a lot of "Older" services. Including VS2005 and Direct Sound. When you run Teamspeak for the first time Go to Settings, Options and select "Wave" This is located in the top left right above "Direct Sound". Easy change but can result in some massive sound clipping or Lag if left on direct sound.

Part 6. Dx10 Hotfix

Ok as posted by FLdash,

I hadn't been using DX10 in-game because I felt my performance was crappy.  However after installing this hotfix, it's much better and definitely smoother than before. 

Explained here: http://www.bloggo.ca

Patch here: http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=2830

For reference my specs are: E6600, 4GB DDR800, 8800 GTS 640MB, Vista x86

If your experiencing large lag spikes with a DirectX 10 compatible Video card this may be the fix for you, However from what I can gather it wont work for anything else. More to come as I investigate.

More to come later as i gather energy for another type spree or as more issues come to light, again as always if you encounter an issue with Vista im more than happy to look into it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:36:22 am by Ashen » Logged
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:57:12 am »

Will do as soon as soon as you've put up some of that good stuff.

Ashen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:03:12 am »

Reserved
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:37:01 am by Ashen » Logged
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:11:09 am »

I don't think he can Smiley
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 05:13:50 am »

Phil, you should give some more obscure admin abilities.
Kotori Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 05:15:19 pm »

I havent played since before this guide was released so.....was curious if the new EiR launcher made it impossible to play without doing these steps...beacause..I just installed the game and played =| I never had to do any administration priveleges or anything. Just curious.

Edit: OK the checkbox to allow it to run as administrator doesnt highligh to where i can check it....that means?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:50:39 pm by Kotori » Logged
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:51:28 pm »

Admin privileges were only really required if you install to C:\Program Files\, If the game was located there, you would be unable to download anything using the Launcher.
Since most users do install to that default location we decided to make the Launcher automatically request Admin privileges, so users wouldn't have to play with shortcuts (Part 3).

I also think the Microsoft updated listed in Part. 1 is no longer necessary, but I can't verify that and it wont hurt to install Smiley
Ashen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:31:38 pm »

Unless you include a suplement to Visual Basic 2005 in the EiR download then the update should still be required, And as for the administrator topic. If it aint broke dont fix it. Kotori, from what i can tell you seem to have no issue what so ever, If your trying to aid this then could you please post up your Computer Specs including your Vista Version. Ive noticed that some hardware comes with native support for certain features (ie, Direct Sound) but only certain manufactures can be utilised by Vista at this time.

Also please be aware that Microsoft are patching Vista at a rate unheard of before. We may reach a point were this entire topic may become null or they can always do the usual and stuff it up even more (Xp Sp2...)

Damn your black heart Bill Gates
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:56:19 am »

Actually all EiR applications have been recompiled to include all runtime functions and therefore not require any C++ Runtime Libraries installed on the computer. This is only speculation though.

As for Vista getting patched, only the last issue is actually something that is a bug. The rest are just annoying, but unfortunately necessary features (Firewall, UAC).
Marine436 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 11:13:57 pm »

ok i have a problem, part of me thinks its vista and a smaller part 1.8 of EIR

out of the last 6 games ive crashed in FOUR of them

i desperately want to be apart of this community however, i cant even justify to my self loading up a game with a 66% chance to not finish it

the hotfix above, made things worse not better

i cant get admin privs on my COH short cut

my system specs are vistia x86, 4x 2.4 Ghz Proccessors  4gb of phyiscal ram (3.25 usable due to the 32bit 4gb limit) a geforce 88000 GTX

im not new to computers in the least, been a gamer science 98 however im super new to vista

Ashen, i call apon your wisdom and kindness

Aid me sir

Vondrakin Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:56:38 pm »

LOL, certaintly good sir, Can you post up which version of vista your using? is it Ultimate? Additionaly your router specs would be good too and firewall specs too (is it windows firewall + defender or 3rd party). Did you build this pc yourself? sounds to me like your crashing the game or de-syncing. Are you the primary user for this Pc aswell? not being able to aquire admin privlidges on your computer can be indicitive of a far more serious issue.

Let me know and I shall get right ontop of it for you.

Glad to hear you've included the runtime functions into the mod Phil, Must say your doing a bang up job so far.

p.s i just realised that i posted this with my german account, This is Ashen here fyi

just another cat drinking coffee
neostrategist Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:12:21 pm »

is win vista compareable wit ventrilo Huh
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 10:16:23 pm »

Yes it is.
neostrategist Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 10:58:12 pm »

thx
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 11:16:41 pm »

I installed it to C:/Games, and now it says that it can't find any installation of the game when I try to patch.
Stuart750 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 11:18:46 pm »

That's why you never use Vista... I made that mistake... And now my graphics card got cancer, and I'm using the one on the motherboard. So no EIR for me, but I can play older games...
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:22:43 pm »

Not helping...
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 11:32:38 pm »

Make your own Tech Support thread then we can try to fix your problem.
MasterVageSha Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:36:18 am »

It says that it could not update mod files "error code 13" whenever I run the launcher.

What do I do?

kithkanan Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 06:50:09 pm »

I follow all the step, but I still have those kind of errors. I have Ultimate and it doesn't work.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc