Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:13:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[May 03, 2024, 11:54:46 pm]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2p EIR map "Polish Village"  (Read 8669 times)
DrSwankUS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 04:49:03 pm »

take a look at a stock map and see whats used there.

How do you open stock maps?  With the new ToV expansion, they removed the ww2/Data folder. I don't know where they are at anymore.

i think you can dl them somewhere from the internet, but it also works with crosixs mod tool.

cool, I'll check it out, thanks!
bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 07:59:01 pm »

Reminds me of a vcoh map. Cant remember what its called haven't played vcoh in a long time its the 1v1 with 2 bridges or something.

Computer991 Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 08:13:01 pm »

Good work i like the look. Wink

The bridge is fine.

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »

Probabily one of the best things about 1vs1 is that you can flank and encircle the enemy if he isnt paying attention or guarding his flanks.

Bottle necks lead to vire noob river type games.

It requires minimal effort to hold the line an its even more costly to try and break it.

Of course i recognize the playstyle that you like, and it is a beautiful map, but for the most part, the player that has the better support spam wins in maps like these, and it becomes a meat grinder for normal infantry

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

DrSwankUS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »

Probabily one of the best things about 1vs1 is that you can flank and encircle the enemy if he isnt paying attention or guarding his flanks.

Bottle necks lead to vire noob river type games.

It requires minimal effort to hold the line an its even more costly to try and break it.

Of course i recognize the playstyle that you like, and it is a beautiful map, but for the most part, the player that has the better support spam wins in maps like these, and it becomes a meat grinder for normal infantry

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but a lot of people like Vire River, even though most call it a noob map.

We playtested it today via Tales of Valor, and it was a real meat grinder, but it was really fun. The battle line was going back and forth, back and forth. The suspense was killing me! We made a couple of changes too:

1. A little less concrete guard rails, but not to much less. It's perfect now.
2. I replaced the Bridge with a land bridge, like a lagoon of sorts, that way there's no bridge destroying.
3. We fine tuned the manpower/muni/fuel points, not that that matters in EIR. but the territory lines are PERFECT!

For me, I was surprised at how much the map was playing out like EIR, even though it was vCOH. While I understand about Vire River, real war was more like this. You had battle lines that were fought for very intensely. And because in COH, you don't have the sheer amount of soldiers that a general in the real world would have, if a map is too wide, then your flanks can be too hard to cover with too little troops, or poor micro (i.e. someone who doesn't play RTS's as frequently as a hardcore RTS or EIR player does)

Personally, I like a skinny map, having to push the other person off their position through guerilla tactics: exchanging mortar fire,  sniper/soldier rush, and managing the angles with your atg's. The building placements are just right for this too.

Dude, I'm really excited to have you guys play this, because (and I hate to toot my own horn here), it was the most fun I've had on a vCOH match, for both me and the other guy. I hate having to worry about my flank, overly too much, because it becomes more about who can micro back and forth the best, which isn't what real war is about, per say. It's about the macro, and the CHARGE!

DrSwankUS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »

Good work i like the look. Wink

The bridge is fine.

I swapped the bridge out for a land/lagoon type of bridge. It's bridge-meets-indestructible.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »

I can understand that man.  Roll Eyes  
I liked vire when i first started playing too.

But keep in mind, if your playing the realism card, battle lines are not a line in the sand. Within that pencil line drawn down the center of the map, whole divisions would squard off. One squad will lay supressing fire while another gets to a better vantage point. Sections of men would give alittle ground to draw enemy troops into a crossfire.

Guerilla tactics are like, the definition of flanking. Getting in, wrecking stuff and getting out.

Anywho, good looking map. Ill give it a try.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:38:53 pm by Groundfire » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc