Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 05:03:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EiR/OMG Maps  (Read 12611 times)
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 09:27:43 am »

We may not offer mappers fancy developer positions in exchange for (exclusive) maps like OMG and we will likely never do
Wasn’t that how you got on the team Mr. Map Lead?  Tongue

Nope, I was with with the original EIR development before I even made my first ever map. (Which was total failure by the way).

Abbeville right?

lololololololololololol

i made a funny

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
CommanderNewbie Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 09:58:10 am »

I was just over there browsing the number of maps they have and thought to myself wow it would be cool if we could play those maps in EIR.  If the two mods truly wish to coexist why not make the maps available to both mods?

Unfortunately, it seems as if this thread was created as a rehash of last week's discussion, deliberately.  Anthony is asking why EIR maps aren't exclusive, but what he's really asking (which has already been answered several times and I sigh when I see another thread up about it) is why OMG maps are exclusive, which has been answered to death.

It's tough to keep this from being an EIRvsOMG thread, because that's exactly what it is... again... ><

It also shouldn't be used as an excuse for dev teams to take cheap shots at each other... I'm surprised the thread wasn't locked from the get-go.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:15:05 am by CommanderNewbie » Logged

CommanderNewbie - Allied
Prydefalcn - Axis
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 10:21:28 am »

I'm surprised so many of the omg team have responded.

You made a decision, you knew it wouldn't be popular in the EIR forums, why defend it?

You'll feel a lot better if you stop posting about it or even reading about it.
VictorTarget Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20:18 am »

Because not everyone is happy with the rivalry between two very separate mods? 

There's a lot of unneeded hostility, and it's rather annoying, if you ask me.  It doesn't need to be there.

Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 11:41:12 am »

EiR pwns OMG, just tried to play that i logged in and was like eeeew wtf, wheres my launcher and quit.

Actually, a quick resector can make a map play for any game mode.

Really? Try playing Panzerkrieg or Assault on Semois. Right...

Anyway to make that happen? cos i would love to fucking play that. Panzerkrieg on semois would be the shit.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:44:43 am by Two » Logged

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:57 am »

EiR pwns OMG, just tried to play that i logged in and was like eeeew wtf, wheres my launcher and quit.

Anyway to make that happen? cos i would love to fucking play that. Panzerkrieg on semois would be the shit.

or plain old shit

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 11:50:25 am »

This is actually the first time I've seen this SCAR answer thing. Last time GamerAndy posted, the exclusive map thing had to do with intellectual property and other concepts. He was comparing mapping to actual game code, which was pretty...novel. I've never seen anyone even attempt to argue like that.

I'd like to hear more stuff about this SCAR thing from the OMG mappers, or EIR mappers if they can open a map (I lack the knowledge).

I'm pretty sure that OMG maps were 'encouraged' to be exclusive de facto before this SCAR thing...but I'm often wrong.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:52:28 am by acker » Logged
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 12:00:24 pm »

Browsing through the archives folder you can see that only few maps have an additional .sga file for a spectator modus (Marcus Vision). The older maps haven't. But that's just a simple look, don't know much about that.

acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 12:06:14 pm »

So the older maps would just need a resector...and Marcus Vision is a spectating code?

Where are the OMG devs when you need them...that can't possibly be it...

...well, maybe.
HeartBreakOne88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »

Most mappers that have been asked did they want to make their maps exclusive...its not forced, they are simply asked in their map thread

"exclusive?"
Simply followed by a yes or no

Marcus Vision is a spectating code?
no i dont think so

a bit harsh, you have to make an attempt and ask ....

I always thought it was a selling point really with the exclusive tag...

Ive heard at the end of the shoutcast
"if you want to play a certain map, Go to the omg website and play"
If the two mods truly wish to coexist why not make the maps available to both mods?

Id put it on Competition, id like 1 mod to be better then the other and win something in some modding award..Im sure some devs and other might think so
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:21:06 pm by HeartBreakOne88 » Logged

"Hmm its a shame CoH is best when served fresh with vanilla flavour rather than genetically modified vegetables..."
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 12:29:14 pm »

or plain old shit

Just cos you cant micro.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 12:49:53 pm »

Most mappers that have been asked did they want to make their maps exclusive...its not forced, they are simply asked in their map thread

"exclusive?"

seeing how you want to quote half truths.. most mappers were offered incentive to get more plays by being exclusive.  And were encouraged to do so by positions within the mod itself.

it works for them, whatever.

not to be rude, but until they update something its their only selling point.

If the two mods truly wish to coexist why not make the maps available to both mods?

Id put it on Competition, id like 1 mod to be better then the other and win something in some modding award..Im sure some devs and other might think so

modding awards are usually awarded for original pieces of work which excel in a direction that hasn't been done before.  OMG will have a very hard time doing that, I'd love to see them achieve it though.

deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:30 pm »

"exclusive?"

seeing how you want to quote half truths.. most mappers were offered incentive to get more plays by being exclusive.  And were encouraged to do so by positions within the mod itself.

it works for them, whatever.

not to be rude, but until they update something its their only selling point.

modding awards are usually awarded for original pieces of work which excel in a direction that hasn't been done before.  OMG will have a very hard time doing that, I'd love to see them achieve it though.

oh snap /FACEPALM OMG
ThetaCommander Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 12:55:51 pm »

The decision of making maps exclusive or public is entirely up to the mapper, however, maps are intellectual property of the mod just as any other mod content. For an example, maps made for the Battle of the Bulge were made for the BotB mod. OMG mappers are considered apart of the mod team because they are actively developing content for the mod just as the coders write the code and the design/balance developers design the gameplay. It is not simply about converting maps from one mod to another, but the decision of the mod to share its content to another. Demanding unfettered access to OMG maps is equivalent to the OMG Mod taking EiRR code and using it for our own. As it stands, the OMG Mod does not wish to share certain portions of its mod content so please respect our decision.

Here are some information regarding the so called "Marcus Vision."

Q: What Is Spectator Mode?
A: Using patent pending MarcusVision®, the OMG Mod has constructed a Spectator Mode for Company of Heroes!  Basically this lets us do live shoutcasts of games as they happen with the commenters being able to see the whole battlefield (including invisible units!) without fog of war!  This technology has been built from the ground up to support competitive ladder matches and to truly turn OMG & Company of Heroes into a real player in the e-sports landscape.

Q: What is TeamTalk?
A: TeamTalk is a new system that works in conjunction with Spectator Mode to give the shoutcasters a break!!  Actually, it's more about really getting inside each players head and being able to hear how good teams communicate... Listen as they call out targets, scramble to deal with unexpected threats and rejoice at taking down a high value item!

You can see it in action on one of our In The Foxhole With Nick & Andy Shoutcasts that utilizes the technology. This is an example of OMG Mappers working with OMG coders to produce mod content.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/omgvrr/videos/10/

ThetaCommander - Defensive
GammaCommander - Armor
HeartBreakOne88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »

off topic, forums needs a delete button,
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:38:37 pm by HeartBreakOne88 » Logged
Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

I like OMG because its like old EIR

lol?

stfu noob xD

Old eir: Units where made due math (ex you type in how many units you wanna buy), if your soldiers had a grenade, it could not be removed again. There where 5 maps to play on, get a game took a hours.
Axis owned.

No O:MG is NOT eir in any way
OMG is a brand new mod. Like Counter strike / Counter strike:S.
Not the same mod, but looks alike

Any way, its up to mappers to decide where their maps should be, open or "closed"
if you have the "closed" for Omg only, then they give you a realy good blow job, so it feels good, be a part of something.
but, i rather have my wing wing sucked by 2 communities rather than only 1 community

^<-- Duck ™ and ©

We need more axis players!:
Skaevola Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 02:29:42 pm »

Wrong thread Sad
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 03:20:43 pm »

I'm surprised the thread wasn't locked from the get-go.

Yeah... my mistake.  I try not to shut down unless it gets out of hand.  Which overnight it seems like it has once again.

Fixed.

but, i rather have my wing wing sucked by 2 communities rather than only 1 community

Nice!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:26:31 pm by DasNoob » Logged

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc