Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:42:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kids on the net? Where do you Stand as Gamers of 18+?  (Read 10146 times)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 07:28:46 pm »

@ smokaz- punishment is meant to be a detterant not a moral lesson. the larger moral lesson is society doesnt approve of that shit and will punish you for it. the lesson you teach your kid by example, parable, communication, et fn c.

This is so perfectly said. Teach people the moral lessens. Also teach them there are punishments for not being moral (Moral as defined by the Majority of the society we live in)

The reason most punishments are not a deterrent are they are not severe enough. A slap on the wrist for stealing will not stop someone who has forgotten their moral values. Cutting that hand off at the wrist will probably make that person reevaluate what is more important.
Justice should lie somewhere between these two punishments.

As to the OP:
It is the parents responsibility to teach their children the difference between real life and Fiction. Moderation is always key to anything in life.
If you feel the internet is influencing your children in a negative way, then it is your job to balance that influence with your own positive influence.

Alternately, beat the little fucker with a stick until his eyes swell shut and he can't look at the screen.....

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
fallensoldier7 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »

Ow..

Jection Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:35 pm »

some very well observed and interesting points , personally I tend to socialize with young gamers "on the fly" or by ear on the net. You dont know if they have the level of maturaty to handle some of your jokes etc.. so I tend to just play it safe. I played with one fellow here one EIR and he was a proud young Aussie, very funny too. Although the game was a bit toast and he was a bit sporatic in his moves I stayed in good humor with him and it was a fun experience to say the least.

I have one funny tale from the World of Warcrack where i ended up in a guild on a raid or dungeon, so i ended up on vent naturally but realizing that there was alot of rowdy 12 year olds screaming and spamming etc so i beared the somewhat instructions ninja looted them and got out huzzzah!.

Which brings me to this. I think if grouped together, their fine for the most part. With some of the replies ive seen, I have to agree the web "is" free ground.

So if I have a kid in the future I would hope to raise them with an awareness of the dangers of the net be it steam account hackers, facebook. As well as hopefully give them the knowledge or solution to deal with problems or situations they may encounter.

Helping them with things you learned from experience or later on when you hoped you had learned about them sooner, is probably the least you could do. I would hope to let my teen set sail on the internet with a "general" good judgment of whats morally right and morally wrong. Just like life yes? Anyways awesome posts guys, Look forward to reading more!
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 12:25:08 am »

You would be supprised to hear that kids dont lisen to everything over 18's say, off experience... Many bad memories...

"This man is incapable of doing the most simpleist of tasks.

I recommend never asking this person to do any tasked deemed easy for infants. Ever." -Various sorces.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc