Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:25:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suggestions!  (Read 1510 times)
SturmGrenadieren Offline
EIR Regular

« on: November 04, 2009, 04:00:31 pm »

While surfing the forum i came across Luch's post

Here's an idea: one of the pet peeves I have with EiR is the detemination of winners and losers, so its either cap territory (so you need inf), or destroy the enemy (ussualy requiring armor and elite inf etc), and usually some combinaiton of the two.  In any case, the win/loss is determined in a pretty straight forward way.

So I was thinking of an RTS game I thought had a really cool way of deciding win/loss.  In the first place, it allowed for marginal, tactical, and decisive victories and these were determined by a combination of factors map control and damage done to the enemy (much like the end game stats, cept they were actually worth something).  Now map control didnt have sectors, but 2 or 3 vp locations worth different amounts of points; eg, in a 3 vp game 500, 300, 250.  So ones control of those vps was combined with the damage one did.  So conceivably one could control the two lesser vps and still win by inflicting more damage. 

In any case, the design of such a system seemed really elegant to me and allowed for a lot of battle flexibility in terms of strategy in a way that outstrips EiR.

Some probs I can anticipate, that dont seem prohibitive, but I leave that to you guys to think about:

How would our maps work out in a vp framework? Would that make some areas OP like a town square?

How could we discourage sim city approaches, or arty spam?

In terms of casualty scores, what would be the scale used for say volks deaths vs piats, or an M10 vs P4 etc?

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but its just a thought.  Im more interested if you guys find the general idea attractive...

As i've been playing with such an idea in my mind ,

I would like to direct your attention to an old game , Called Close Combat

In wich you had to control certain Area's to win a map in a time frame (Or if the enemy lost morale cause its leadership units being annihilated)
The map had several  usely 8 Strategic victory points,
All had diffrent value's:

Main objectives ( Strongholds ,Road approaches , Supply  dumps etc)
Minor objectives ( Roads , intercentions Overlook area's etc)

but Close combat used a strategic map all maps interlinked wich would be impossible for COH unless its a straight line.

Map size , Yes you would require a slightly larger map then the standard 2x2
Could bring some interesting features to the war map aswell. Actual progress.

anyhoe Check CC!.

AANDDDD

would it be possible to increase Docterines to Sub doc's  aka Combining VCoh with ToV = a larger Doc more choices , more tactical choices.

NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:08:58 pm »

Close Combat, ah I love that RTS game. It actually inspiried me to make the LMG Squad suggestion for the Panzer Elite.

Anyway, for the victory point idea, its not bad. Conquer Victory points to secure some areas and the one with most areas wins.

Imo they need big maps, big plans and so on. Its difficult but not impossible to do. It might as well be kinda painful as people have gotten in use with the current system.

The Close Combat Mission map is beautiful. I had an idea, that will combine the current Sector work with a campaign mode (which is the fighting for territories etc)

Everytime the maps are fought on and then captured there'll be a solid front line all the time. Then every time you set the game on campaign mode and click start. The launcher itself will choose the map you fight on. Of course you don't have to play the map for that extra PPs. As well the launcher decides what game mode it is on. If its axis sector it might be allied attack, meeting engagement etc. Doctorine abilities can assist players in Campaign mode making it a larger chance of being Allied or Axis attack etc...just an idea

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:50 pm »

We originally were going for a two phase doctrine system:

A main or primary doctrine, similar to what EIR had then:
A secondary 'support' doctrine.

That evolved to the reinforcement packages - which... were good and bad lol.

Now, we're doing another try - so we'll have to see how that turns out.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »

so reinforcement packages are completely gone?

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc