Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 03:08:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Idea?  (Read 6217 times)
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 26, 2008, 07:07:15 pm »

He guys, I'm gonna start attempting to make some maps here and I would like some ideas on what the community would like. I am very new at this so I won't have any immediate pics or something, but I am up for any ideas. My main idea that I had was a road that goes through the upper left side of the map and have a small town there, then on the right a lake area with perhaps a small fishing village, and then that would leave the middle for a large farming center. I was considering makeing it look like battles had been fought there before with some craters, and perhaps a farming area that has been completely destroyed.

So any ideas for what the community would like to see would be nice, and then I'll see what I can do. Spring break is coming up for me and I won't be doing too much over the break, so I can get some good progress done soon.

HOWEVER......My main computer died (well it did, and now the CPU works but my 24inch HD Widescreen monitor is now FUBAR) so perhaps not immediately but soon.

Thtb-Ally Offline
The German Guy on the Ally side?
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:08:22 pm »

Deffinatly OCP & a bridge.

BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:34:26 pm »

What sort of objectives should I go for?
-Control the city?
-Control the bridge?
-Control the farming area?
Thtb-Ally Offline
The German Guy on the Ally side?
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:36:14 pm »

OCP (Objective Controlled Popcap)

There should be only 3 or 5 objectives per map (not including spawn objectives).  Map makers can vary this, but realise any extra objectives you place have to be defended.  This makes it very difficult for players to defend all of their areas and if you make it too difficult the map is more ideally played with one big blob moving quickly from objective to objective overwhelming defenses. 

KEY POINT: The more objectives you have the less defense you will be able to place at each.

Important note: To make MCP LESS harsh add more sectors at player spawns.

Remember: because in OCP there is no supply line you can drop airborne ANYWHERE and take an objective.  It is NOT feasible to expect players to defend 12 objectives.  That would mean they would need 12 hmgs to do so and even then they could easily be taken by airborne or a small assault squad.

There should always be an odd number of objectives
The objectives should be spread out evenly from the center line of the map.
The objectives should be around more defensive and key locations.
The objectives size should be limited to the defensive/key location.
The objectives should be spread out to encourage map use.
Multiple objectives can be used if they are made close enough to each other to make defense of both of them at the same time easier.
You can make certain sectors more 'primary' objectives by making the defensive area a dual ring sector or 2-3 sectors together.

To enable OCP in your map you need to create a text file called [yourmapname].scar.  Note do NOT put this in the [yourmapname]_id.scar file.  In the scar file paste the following code and then you're done!

Code:
function WinConditionOverride()
     EIR_SupplyLines = 0
end

What size you want to do? We have a good load of city with a bit land around.  ACtually most are build up like that. I for one woud prefer 2 citys for a chance 1 near each spawn, like i did it in my map, with a battlefield inbetween it. In that battlefield you can place your objectivs as they come (crashed plane, curch-ruin & so on...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:38:45 pm by Thtb-Ally » Logged
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:38:10 pm »

Starting off with a small rural town as one of your first maps is probably the best idea, Is this going to be your first map? If so; don't expect many people to play it, it's a long learning experience and requires much patience.  With that said, start with a rural town, fields, hedgerows, etc.  Play around with it, you should refer to this thread:

http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php/topic,4026.0.html

I made a long post detailing out some things to help out new mappers. Smiley

Edit: Also, OCP might be a bit much if you're new to mapping, if it is your first map I suggest going with a normal sector setup and not the OCP system.

Life or Lack There Of
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 07:41:37 pm »

Its my first map, but I've tinkered in the World Builder a lot. I can get complicated things done, but probably longer then a "vet" would take.
Bonte Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:43:28 pm »

what im thinking that would be a good idea for a map is a capital defence map with building based objectives....(territories are buildings) with abilities given to the player when he controls certain sectors for so long.

I'm too candid to hide something like that. Smiley
Candid - frank; outspoken; open and sincere: a candid critic

You must really think im an idoit.
DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:50:57 pm »

Texas does that on several maps. It would be best to ask him about it.

Proud mapper for both OMG and EIR.
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:30 pm »

Yay! I'm loving all of these responses. There is one thing I'm unsure of however

First one is simple: 2v2, or 3v3? Next post with 2v2 or 3v3 will decide that.

The other question is how large should the map be?
DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:28:43 pm »

2v2. They are played MUCH more than 3v3s, and will be easier to test on. As for size, pick your own. On Dawn, I've had people complain that it's too small for a 3v3. I don't care. Most people are fine with it, and that's how I made it. I'm not going to stamp it and start over because some people don't like it.
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:31:01 pm »

So if I made the playable area like 512 that would be good?
DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »

You decide. 512 is a pretty decent size. What you need to do is create a map that is, say, 512 x 512, and then spawn a building in it to compare size. If the level appears too big compared to the building, downsize it, if it is too small, make it larger.
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 05:00:36 am »

So if I made the playable area like 512 that would be good?

I'm sure you've played some of the stock maps, here is a link that tells you the specific details of a stock maps dimensions.

http://wiki.relicrank.com/index.php?title=Map_Size
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc