Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 04:19:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Today at 02:40:48 pm]

[October 14, 2024, 02:38:41 pm]

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decapping beacons  (Read 5269 times)
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« on: October 09, 2012, 07:45:40 am »

Yet another suggestion from Hicks, this time something for the more floaty doctrines of EiRR.

As it stands, people rarely use Airborne, Commandos and Luftwaffles for anything other than having access to better infantry and slightly faster reinforcement time.

So, why not have a tool to encourage the act of dropping behind enemy lines? As it stands, there are no repair bunker blobs to satchel, arty pieces can just be offmapped/LV rushed and trying to flank from behind with a smaller force is usually a death sentence as you can rarely bring strong enough equipment for the job via parachute/glider.

Cue in the decapping beacon (Requires a better name, I know). This little device would be a one time 50-100mu upgrade for Airborne/Commando/Luftwaffle infantry. The device itself would be pretty much one of the radio triangulation beacons but without the ability to cloak. Planting the beacon will after a few seconds of activation render the sector it sits in neutral. It is important to note that neither side will be able to cap the point so long as the beacon is active, meaning that the user will have to destroy it (Delete command) to cap the sector themselves - As it's a one time use on a squad, destroying it yourself will essentially be wasting resources if a push goes tits up.

The point of this device? Harassment tactics. The enemy will have to dedicate a unit (Or more, if you stick around to defend it) to get rid of the beacon - This leaves a built up doom fort with less of it's support, multiple uses at once will mean that the defending players will have to make some quick hard choices as to whether they go destroy those devices (Which with RT beacons, even a volley or two of rifle fire will do it and these beacons will NOT be cloaked making them simple to find) or try and hold on for a while knowing that the territory under their feet could go if enough critical points in the back lines have been decapped.

Just thought I'd suggest something to promote something other than blob vs blob or fort vs fort gameplay.

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:20 am »

enemy spends 100mun,and u send 2pop pio(oh noes,doomfort won't be defended) to cap it back...not rly good trade imho from the guy who spend 100mun. 50mun maybe.

It could be good when enemy is loosing already,to cap him faster,but other than that,I don't see much use in spending resources for it. If enemy doesn't have units in sector,you can just cap it with unit that would plant beacon. If it has,and u revert it to neutral state,u still can't cap it because enemy has units in it,so  Roll Eyes
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:52 am »

their still isnt a incentive to use anything that falls from the sky. the whole point is to take the enemy by suprise. It's no suprise if you see a glider land 40 yard behind you, or mens slowly fall from the sky.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:42:03 am »

enemy spends 100mun,and u send 2pop pio(oh noes,doomfort won't be defended) to cap it back...not rly good trade imho from the guy who spend 100mun. 50mun maybe.

It could be good when enemy is loosing already,to cap him faster,but other than that,I don't see much use in spending resources for it. If enemy doesn't have units in sector,you can just cap it with unit that would plant beacon. If it has,and u revert it to neutral state,u still can't cap it because enemy has units in it,so  Roll Eyes

Did I miss something?

Are we suddenly able to cap sectors that aren't linked to our own? What I'm proposing is the ability to go and cut off sectors which aren't even linked to yours at that time.

If it turns out that it's TOO easy to do something about, then either make it durable enough to require a vehicle, or put the cloak on it. Simply give it a bigger decloak radius than normal units.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:14 am »

If its too prevent campy shit you could also play non campy maps.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:47:17 am »

tankedit: no related material removed / personnel remarks removed
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:33:48 am by tank130 » Logged
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:41 am »

So you're saying that an entire doctrine and a half should get removed from the game, as they are based on camping? Cool logic bro.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thingafter they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:06:44 am »

So you're saying that an entire doctrine and a half should get removed from the game, as they are based on camping? Cool logic bro.

You mean defensive? Defensive does really good on Neuville and Neuville is not a campy map. Cool logic bro.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:57 am »

You mean defensive? Defensive does really good on Neuville and Neuville is not a campy map. Cool logic bro.
(Deleting your response? Okay...  Lets take it to that other thread)

On topic, I like the idea, given it was partly my suggestion (Dirty, thieving hicks) Wink
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:35:34 am by nikomas » Logged
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:27 am »

Right, so I've got to force my opponent to specifically play a map that suites me and my play style, instead of the game giving me tools to adapt to any scenario?

I've never liked how idealist EiRR is, assuming you'll always have the perfect map every time you're in an engagement. Sometimes things will go up shit creek and you'll be the unlucky sod in command of an Armoured company in a swamp. Other times you'll be the luckiest commander alive whose Defensive company is now operating in a choke point infested urban environment or hedge filled wonder.

Apparently, we just decide were not gonna fight there that day. Interesting.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:42 am »

Yup, would go well along with randomly chosen maps  Wink

Almost all doctrines can do well on almost any map, but most overspecialize to the point that their coys become crippled on maps outside their comfort zones. Take a town map for example, they "Suck" because they are campy and tanks bog down easily between the buildings... Now if everyone just packed a pair of flamethrowers/mortars/riflenades/etc etc suddenly those buildings become less of an issue. Due to what maps are most played thou, one does not really expect to need any of these.

Hell, a Sherman croc might get some real use in an urban map like st.winn or that 4v4 map I cant remember the name of, even if it's less good on open maps.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:30 am »

how about making drop troops be able to cap anywhere, but not be able to turn it to the allied side unless its connected.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:33 am »

hmmm. well airborne has a nice abilit to cap 3x faster but i dont think it works. see if those sort of things worked it would make the doctrine's alot better.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:15 am »

We are already creating a Warmap card that will give AB this ability......... Sorry Hicks, it's still a great idea!!!

If it is not in as a Warmap card, there was also talk about a doctrine ability. One or the other will be showing up (soon)

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:07 am »

Works for me, I always wondered why we couldn't do true back capping anyhow. Hell, even vCoH can allow you to back cap properly.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:48 am »

We are already creating a Warmap card that will give AB this ability......... Sorry Hicks, it's still a great idea!!!

If it is not in as a Warmap card, there was also talk about a doctrine ability. One or the other will be showing up (soon)

which ability? the beacon or capping unconnected sectors?
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 10:51:15 am »

I'm not sure if short reinforcement times and airborne is the common sense. If you don't have the tiert for the reduced drop time, even the first call in timer take ages until the paradrop start, additionally you have to wait for the drop and to wait until they are regroup before you can micro them.

9th Armoured Engineers
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

which ability? the beacon or capping unconnected sectors?

Capping unconnected sectors
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:34 am »

Capping unconnected sectors

cool! can't wait until AB becomes relevant again, I miss the ol' hit n run company. now its just run
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc