Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:20:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superior Map Design  (Read 13141 times)
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 07:59:41 am »

Skaffa does not have a map. He just removed the water from Semois. Look at the pics dude......LOL

Saying I 'just removed the water' is just naive.

Your view might be limited to that aspect of the map but atleast some people look beyond and realise there is more to it (pony).

Ill do some map reviews to share my thoughts!

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 08:19:46 am »

quit nit picking skaffa, he said it's a great map and laid no fault on you for doing what you did.

so can we stop the petty arguing about something that means absolutely nothing in the long run.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 09:16:18 am »

Actually Tym, what he said is: 'Great guy, great map, but no special design.. he just removed the water!... look at the pics!! ....and people say he has superior map design skills, I cant believe it... look at the pics ROFLMAO .... LOL.'

There are 2 design parts.
1 is my overal formula/philosofy described in my guide. (in my head before starting the map)
2 is the map itself - using stamps vs creating new stuff. In the case of Neuville leaving some parts untouched but also adding new stuff in order to make 1 work.

I thought about what I wanted and did everything with a purpose - with a design - in mind. Some people realise this, some dont. That is why saying its 'just a stamp' or 'just removed water' is imo naive. They only look at part 2 and forego part 1. Even when only looking at part 2 it is shortsighted to not acknowledge the fact that everything that was added was added properly (as in enough cover, enough room to move around - things that you do not find in all maps), and is the reason why the map is good. Plus the things that werent added! Many other houses could have been added, or hedgerows/shotblockers which would have ruined the map. By saying 'just stamped Semois' or 'just removed the water' you also forego these aforementioned aspects of part 2.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:41:25 am by skaffa » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 09:22:49 am »

Well, either way, stamping and modifying an existing map is a lot easier than making a map from scratch. That's not to say it's bad, it's an excellent way for people to learn the ins and outs of mapping and quite honestly as long as the final product is good and enjoyable, we shouldn't care all too much HOW it was created. Though there lies the difference imo between a map contributor and a mapping expert. Deadbolt is the former, he no doubt still puts quite a bit of time in devising maps, and he pays a great deal of attention to the layout of the maps so that he only delivers the maps that would normally work for EIR, as such map contributors too are very important to our mapping scene and no doubt have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to what defines a good map.

Mapping experts on the other hand, like spartan, take it a little further and are able to devise a quality map from scratch, also giving them much more control over a map's overall design and ultimately its gameplay. As such, they are the real artists and experts of the mapping community and should be regarded as such.

We need both and both types of 'mappers' are knowledgeable in the field of map design, though one is clearly the expert (provided they've created a significant number of quality maps from scratch) where as the other is less so.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:45 am »

Actually Tym, what he said is: 'Great guy, great map, but no special design.. he just removed the water!... look at the pics!! ....and people say he has superior map design skills, I cant believe it... look at the pics ROFLMAO .... LOL.'

that's his opinion, you trying to rebuff him only ends in an argument, no one wins when two people are expressing there opinion.

I understand it may have hurt your pride but who cares, you make maps that people play, ALOT, so keep doing what you're doing and don't give a fuck about what Tank said.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:08 am »

True.
Maybe my explanation can enlighten some people tho.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:49:28 am by skaffa » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 01:15:00 pm »

Actually Tym, What irks me, is exactly what I posted on a few occasions in the last few days. My issues are not with Skaffa or his maps.

My issue is with a small percentage of people in this community that imply Skaffa is the only person who can make a good map. - or your map sucks if it does not follow Skaffatology.

Skaffa took a great map, stamped it, added a couple of fields to enlarge it, and called it Nueville. What Skaffa deserves credit for is figuring out a way to describe what made the original map a great map to play on. He successfully put wordy descriptions into a simple diagram.

He did not invent the best map, he just simply labeled an existing one. I am not discrediting the physical work he did or the fact that he made a contribution to the map list. I am discrediting the claims he came up with the best map design.

This will never become a Skaffa vs Tank situation unless he chooses to do so. I really doubt that is going to happen.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:42 pm »

Where is EIRRMOD? maybe hes got some sort of mapping advice, or is he still on a his 2 week vacation?

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 01:30:20 pm »

He did not invent the best map, he just simply labeled an existing one.

We have had semois in the EIR map rotation before, it was quite a fail. He did not "simply" labeled one existing map, he understands every single part a good map needs. One part of that was the center town and that is the stamped semois.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »

Skaffa's other maps are good as well :L. i enjoy forest and that other circular thingy one as well.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 04:58:55 pm »

I am not discrediting the physical work he did
Skaffa took a great map, stamped it, added a couple of fields to enlarge it, and called it Nueville.

Actually you are (again: see tank130's previous posts) by saying the physical work I did merely exists of 'adding a couple of fields to enlarge it'.

What Skaffa deserves credit for is figuring out a way to describe (=a guide with pics) what made the original map (=semois, implying neuville is nothing different) a great map to play on.

Basically what Tank is saying is that I merely deserve credit for 'writing the guide' (while disregarding the 2 upcoming points). This point of view is understandable if you do not comprehend the full situation.

So to further enlighten you Ill tell you what I deserve credit for. Ill explain it to you personally.
Until you get the full picture I can imagine it is hard to understand why someone would send you that PM seen in the OP.

2 things:

There are 2 design parts.
1 is my overal formula/philosofy described in my guide. (in my head before starting the map)
2 is the map itself - using stamps vs creating new stuff. In the case of Neuville leaving some parts untouched but also adding new stuff in order to make 1 work.

I thought about what I wanted and did everything with a purpose - with a design - in mind. Some people realise this, some dont. That is why saying its 'just a stamp' or 'just removed water' is imo naive. They only look at part 2 and forego part 1. Even when only looking at part 2 it is shortsighted to not acknowledge the fact that everything that was added was added properly (as in enough cover, enough room to move around - things that you do not find in all maps), and is the reason why the map is good. Plus the things that werent added! Many other houses could have been added, or hedgerows/shotblockers which would have ruined the map. By saying 'just stamped Semois' or 'just removed the water' you also forego these aforementioned aspects of part 2.

This is the best I can explain the situation to you. Maybe now you can understand better why people say what they say.

Also I needed to say this because its tiresome to read about the ignorance all the time, which leads to not giving proper credit and recognition.

/thread
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:01:08 pm by skaffa » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »

What DID you add to the map to make it better?

You had to add something to make it bigger. It was a 1v1 map converted to a 3v3, so of course you had to add something.

Looking at the pictures I posted (screen shot of both maps) you can see you added some fields and removed the water and bridges over that water.

Could you elaborate more on the important features you added that made Nueville a better map then Semois please. It is hard to see what it is you did.

I think it is silly to say what makes your map better then semois is the things "you did not add" . That would be like me saying Skaffa's map is great, but he could have added something to ruin it. Not really much on an argument really.......LOL

I can appreciate that you set out with a design in mind and were going to take the steps necessary to follow that design. I find it a tad coincidental that Semois just happen to be that exact design but missing some fields......

But, by giving detail on what you added will help clear that up.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 07:32:37 pm »

He added heavy cover near buildings to allow for both defending and attacking buildings. This way if an enemy puts an unsupport HMG in a building, you don't need a mortar, you can flank it and the enemy has to support his HMG. By not placing heavy cover to block open fields, it's possible to advance easier. Light cover is also well placed, there is enough to make it strategic, but placed with enough space to make it a defensive position, while still having enough open field to allow for the building of sandbags.

He placed buildings. With enough space so that units can pass through but close enough to each other so that you can use buildings to distract or kill enemy units in other buildings.

He added roads. To supplement the map where it was missing and around the buildings so that vehicles can counter units in buildings but also to allow the buildings to be used as cover for vehicles. He also added roads to the flanks to encourage flanking.

Even if he just did 10% of the map and that 10% is good, that still show that he knows what he's doing.

Stamping an existing map is a lot easier than making a map from scratch [...] there lies the difference between a map contributor and a mapping expert. Deadbolt is the former.

If someone spends a year building a map and it sucks, then I really don't think that guy is a better map builder than someone who sees a finished vCOH map and thinks "this has all the gameplay elements a map should have, with some minor adjustment it can be added to EIR".

The maps that Deadbolt chooses to stamp, usually have terrible flaws. Graveyard is one big open field. That's just not gonna work.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:27:17 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »

10% is good, that still show that he knows what he's doing

So if 10% of map is good, that means a person knows what he is doing....right, got it. Or in other words.... if you stamp 90% of someone else's maps, add a road or two, you are the best mapper to grace the screens of Eir

I asked Skaffa to show us what he DID add.
What you have described Pony, is what the map has, not what he added.

Please look at the pics. He added one small road and 2 buildings....... If I missed something, I would like the map creator to explain it, not someone who doesn't have a clue as to what was there before or not.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:10 pm »

It's more than one road and two buildings, Tank. His input includes all the things I described. Fields, buildings, cover and roads.

Everyone knew Neuville was based on Semois. But Semois is not a good map, it has water everywhere and small passages. Only with Skaffa's input was it made playable in EIR. It's not easy to take any 1v1 COH map and make it into a 3v3 map for EIR. You should know that, with D-Day.

These are the facts: Skaffa made two good maps. This makes him a good map creator. Whether he did it on purpose or not, doesn't matter. The end results is what matters.

This doesn't mean that new maps have look exactly like them. But they do have some design features that clearly benefit gameplay and should be considered when making a new map.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 03:10:47 am »

Good maps, yes. Superior map design: no. His guide is absolutely no guarantee for success, heck he only has 2 maps that supposedly follow it and while they both happen to be great, it doesn't mean though that he somehow hit the holy grail of map design that now every map needs to live up to. Ultimately people should make maps whatever way they feel will work, keeping into account the typical flow of an EIR game (which does indeed include heavy fighting around the center of the map, but that's only common sense). There's no precise formula to what will ensure a map's popularity, this is clearly proven by the variety in popular EIR maps throughout its history. (Yes, there are certainly some core similarities but it would be faulty to claim that these maps are not distinctly different from one another in regards to overall design)

I think we're done here, there's not much point to 'debating' this further. I honestly don't think there was much point in having an entire thread dedicated to it tbh Tongue

And as always, keep these maps coming, it ultimately doesn't matter how they come to exist, as long as we can keep a healthy inflow of maps for the community to enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:12:18 am by Unkn0wn » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc