Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:41:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two or more people connecting on the same router.  (Read 9909 times)
Hicks359
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »

Well ladies and gents, here i have a solution for those that are attempting to play EiRR, and are failing to connect to others as yourself and another, or more, are on the same router.

I'll go over the story of how it came about, and the annoying hour or so of testing to get it working properly another time, but i do give props to Rayze, PigeonBoy and Rommel for having the patience to help me get this working proper.

Without further ado, what to do:

First off, your gonna have to forward the port 6112 to one of the intended computers on the network. If your unsure of how to do this, go to http://portforward.com/routers.htm and choose your router from the list. The website has tutorials on how to forward ports for a very wide range of routers.

Secondly, the other person who is trying to connect, will now have to do some extra leg work, as the first person can now connect to other people fine.

The second person has to create a copy of their CoH shortcut, then go into properties, and add the following lines onto the target:

-port 6113

-mod EuropeinRuins

The full line will end up looking something like this:

"C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\RelicCOH.exe" -port 6113 -mod EuropeinRuins

The port number can be anything that isnt already being used by another program at the time as far as i'm aware, but i kept mine at 6113 to keep things simple.

Now that is done, you have to forward the 6113 port for the second computer on the network, or whichever number you set the port to in the shortcut command line.

Alright, now all that is done, it's onto the game itself. Boot up EiRR in the normal fashion by the launcher, get into a game, RTL, and launch. Doing this downloads the battlefile for the game. Once the game has loaded up and your on the main menu, close the game, and load it up using the now modified shortcut. Now that is done, connect to the game, ready up, and merrily kick some arse.

By the way, if you had three people on a router, you'd simply make a modified shortcut for that computer as well, with a different port eg 6114, and follow the outlined procedure above.

Oh, and after the testing, i have confirmed that doing this does not create desyncs, or has not so far for me. Game results seem to come back fine, and i havent had a single draw from it as of yet. However, if this does prove to cause hiccups and issues with game results, then i'll promptly stop using it and carry on with a haphazard connection when trying to get a game with my brother against other people.

I know theres scarce few, if none others that play with others on the same router... But this is a guide and help for those that may need it in the future for when the mod grows even more so.

I'll tell ya now, it sucked for quite a while not being able to play anything more than a 2 v 2 with my brother sat two feet on my right.

PS. Me and Rayze are quite capable of joining games by ourselves, so even if this method has to be scrapped at some point, dont be afraid to play with us by ourselves. >.<
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:03:08 pm »

Thanks for the advice - Stickied for reference Wink

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:31:13 am »

Any word on when your going to implement a command line function to the launcher so we can make my guide redundant?

Tongue

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
wymer81 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »

Any word on when your going to implement a command line function to the launcher so we can make my guide redundant?

Tongue
Seconded
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »

Tongue
Very soon.

I will be dedicating another large time stretch this weekend, and I'll see what I can do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc