Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 04:26:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vCOH: Mission 13  (Read 4005 times)
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 23, 2009, 07:58:52 am »

I recently decided to finish the "Invasion of Normady" campaign mode and complete the single player COH experience.  I stopped playing the campaign a while ago, and suddenly remembered why: Mission 13!  The previous mission was successful since I had a decent amount of territory, my HQ, and the pop cap was maxed.  Even though the pop cap on this level is low, I figured with my online gaming experience (and especially my EIR experience) this mission would not be a problem.  Then, after the first defeat, I suddenly remembered, I suck at multiplayer, and EIR, and am back to square one: completely frustrated with this level, and considering giving up.  I do, however, want to finish this level and move on with the game, so that's why I'm posting here.

I've done some research on the internet on mission 13, and it seems to be an extremely frustrating level for all players of all skill levels because it is out of character with all the other levels in the game.  Anyhow,  I tried this level with the Airborne dcotrine with limited success, but again the pop cap gets in the way, and I can't get enough troops on the field to deal with enemy armor.  The hill is well defended with 3 tank guns, and 3 mgs, and I can defend the abbey fairly well with barbed wire and tank traps, however, late in the level I find infantry and armor over-running those defenses (seems I do not have enough men and material to defend both abbey and hill).  Eventually, I find my HQ is over-run from the northwest and the east with loads of Stugs and Pumas.

I did discover an enemy base in the northwest, and figured destroying the base was key, but how to get there since the approach from the abbey was mined.  Well I discovered the passage leading from my HQ to the enemy HQ totally unprotected; problem solved!   However, I still have problems even after destroying the base.  Is there another base on the map?  Or do enemy units continually spawn off map?  I seem to have problems later on this mission, and it seems one needs to be more offensive here than defensive.  What's your take on this mission?  Any tips?

Thanks,

~Grand

The true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.  ~G.K. Chesterton
Piotrskivich Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:12:53 am »

I think I used a calliope to shell the hill and then rush before they can bring reinforcements.

Airborne does not have any free artillery so it might be difficult.
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:17:10 am »

Yes, that's what I am trying next.  I figured the Caliope and Pershing should  be a smashing combo.
Piotrskivich Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:32:34 am »

I don't think you can have both though. Isn't there a limit to your CP's?
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:36:08 am »

lol that mission was sooo easy, just drop airbornes at the 88s and they shoot themselves to pieces, blow their HQ with airdropped ATGs, and... its quite over.
so youre trying to finish it on expert or something? or is the AI became much smarter since last patch?
i think il just finish the campaign again, just to look at it  Tongue
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:48:14 am »

There is no limit on CPs in mission 13.

Also, you cannot drop AB into the fog of war on this mission you need a spotter, and the 88s shoot down planes (and you do not start with any doctrines or CPs); the pop cap is set at 75, which I start above, so I have to work with what is there; and I think the AI is more advanced due to the last few patches.

~Grand
Falcon333 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:00:07 am »

I just played and finished it on hard, I don't really see a problem with it.
What might help you out is pause at the beginning, so you can look at what you have and give orders.

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:48 am »

I pause throughout the game to get my bearings.  It is probably my poor skill level. . . I don't have much time to play games as of late, and I'm not very good at micro management.

~Grand
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:12:01 am »

What map is it again?

But ye all maps was really easy except the hill mission which i won by yust building rifles and capping the flag by bumrushing it.

Eir customer support staff.
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:17:25 am »

Mission 13: Martain Counter-Attack.

I think the difficulty of this mission depends upon your performance in Mission 12, but I did alright on Mission 12.

~Grand
HeartBreakOne88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:33:07 am »

em i had a few hick ups but i finished everything on (is it very hard) some of the defensive counter attck missions can be though but just hold your ground , pick the targets that do the most damage even then i think i went with RR squads everwhere...........high losses as always but still done

"Hmm its a shame CoH is best when served fresh with vanilla flavour rather than genetically modified vegetables..."
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:39:04 pm »

Well the mission before when defending= Barb and tank trap the whole damn hill like a ring, have openings some slopes; Deathtraps.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 12:41:22 pm »

what map is mission 13? i'm lost. is this hill 133? It is hard but i never really have issues with it.

now, is this the one where you hvae ot defend the hill, or is it the one where you have to take the cp's?

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 01:21:57 pm »

The mission title is "Mortain Counter Attack," the hill is 317 (same map as mission 12).  There are three objectives: Capture 3 strategic points (wind down the count like a skirmish or multiplayer game), destroy the german 88s, and finish with 250 strategic points or more (optional, for Silver Star award).

~Grand
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 02:50:59 pm »

one thing I do is lob some artillery on the east 88 and grab it, put an hmg near it and you got your eastern flank settled, then sneak a sniper into the 3 on the far easy and take 'em down from behind (the 88's will turn but you'll recloak b4 they can fire) after that, you gotta take out the two bases on the north east and south eastern parts of the map, the north eastern one is the most important.

There's mines there so bring  amine flail some engineers or knock it out with artillery its all in one line, after that, taking out the base is pretty simple. After that its easy to keep the north part of the map and you just have to deal with the occasional armor from the south eastern part, which the 88 near the nearl to the east if you capture it will deal with easily.

theres one more 88 to the south but thats easily avoidable and only take it out if you want to take out the south eastern base cuz it will be in the way.
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:52:36 pm »

You can bum rush south and yust cap it without trying to fight.

Thats what i did haha.
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:40 am »

Thanks for the advice, I finally completed this mission and finished the single player campaign!

Mission 12 was key to the success of Mission 13: in Mission 12 you have time to set up tank traps and barbed wire.  I left the central path up the hill open for a kill zone with 3 Weapon Teams (2 in a cross fire position, one covering from the rear), two 57 mm AT guns in a cross fire position, a Rifleman squad with BARs on cleanup duty, and a jeep at the top of the path on reconaissance duty;  I fortified the Abbey to the west of the hill, and guarded it with a Ranger squad with Thompsons, and a Quad Half Track, as well as two Emplacements guarding the Abbey cloister in a cross fire position; the western path from my HQ to the enemy HQ in the northwest was left open and was guarded by a 57 mm AT gun, and a Rifleman squad equipped with a BAR; the east was left unguarded because it was sufficiently blocked.

I started Mission 13 with 93 of 75 pop cap; all my units, including vehicles, survived Mission 12, as well as most of my tank traps and barbed wire.  I immediately repaired what defences I could, and attacked the northwest enemy HQ with the Croc, Sherman, Wolverine and Rifleman squad.  I had a little trouble defending the western Abbey from flank attempts, and some Half Tracks made it to my HQ, but it was nothing too devastating.  I had trouble disabling the 88s: I managed to capture one, but the enemy ran out of VP before I could finish the task.  I completed the mission with over 400 VP.

~Grand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc