Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:26:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New  (Read 9666 times)
Vockner Offline
EIR Regular

New
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:37:50 am »

Hey all...

I started out as Gern44 but have gotten all the names/login's squared away, so I will be Vockner from now on. 

I signed up, installed and launched the EIR mod on tuesday and proceeded to get my n00b butt kicked.  That said, I enjoyed the game.  The mechanics are very different from vCoH.  Rolling out a bunch of Units at a time, rather than base building and streaming in one or two at a time creates a much different feel.  I had a terrible time keeping track of all my units.  It's obviously going to be very challenging.

Overall, the mod is extremely well developed.  Fortunately I watched a couple of the setup videos before jumping in to EIR, but there was still a ton I was missing and I wanted to thank everyone for their help in getting me squared away and the patience in directing me properly.

I received a lot of input from people.  Among others, Friso1n was especially helpful, as was BoBSMITH.  Sorry to the two poor Allies that teamed with me that night... It got ugly on the field.

Im hoping to play more and learn more, though I don't have a lot of spare time.  I hear going 1-49 in my 1st 50 games would be a good start.  Smiley 

Are there any 'offline' resourses to help build Battalion composition by any chance?  Something like an excel spreadsheet with Unit Costs (MP's, MU's etc) would be invaluable.  I have more questions, but I need time to play more before I can properly ask about tactics and such.  I did notice a ton of helpful posts, which I'll hopefully get around to reading.  I've already read one on Snipers by Smokaz that was excellent.

"An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bullshit."
- General George Patton Jr
Doctrine Sigs:
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af232/Gern44/EiR%20Signatures/
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:24 am »

Welcome, Vocky! You seem to have a sound approach to it all.

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:51 am »

Welcome!

If you are looking for instructional videos on gameplay, the front page has 3 excellent vidcasts.

In particular, the PR shoutcast.
http://www.viddler.com/explore/EliteGrenadier/videos/4/

Watching these and trying to emulate gameplay will hopefully ease you through your 50 butt kicking initiation games.

Also, if your looking for unit information, that is all listed in the "unit price list" to your left, under the "EIR Menu" along with the leaderboard.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:01 am »

Vockner,
Your great attitude will go a long ways in getting help from others. I will gladly give you a hand when you need it.
You will see me in the launcher as Tank130 or Panzer130

GLHF

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Vockner Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:52:15 am »

Thanks much guys.

Groundfire, I totally missed the Unit Price List... thanks!  Tank, I apprecaite the offer and will surely ask questions eventually.

Currently, I'm looking into which Company to use.  I was leaning German/Blitz, but it seems most people play Germans.  Therefore, I've been looking into American/Airborne.  I've found some interesting threads on most of the differnet companies.  Sorting out 'fact from fiction' is a bit difficult sometimes.  I'm guessing that the only true way to learn is personal trial and failure.
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:05 pm »

weh anything or american airbourne are solid starter factions and to a lesser extent Brit engineers/commandos.

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:15:09 pm »

Nah, Scorched Earth PE or Royal Arty Brits ftw
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »

It is easier to play as wher, that's why most play it. Allies take a little more skill to play.
PE is probably the most challenged faction to play with.

It can be difficult to sort the fact from fiction. Just remember fact is written by allied players and fiction by wher players.......
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »

It is easier to play as wher, that's why most play it. Allies take a little more skill to play.
PE is probably the most challenged faction to play with.

It can be difficult to sort the fact from fiction. Just remember fact is written by allied players and fiction by wher players.......

+1

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
Vockner Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:21:34 pm »

I do like Wehr, but again, it seems most people play Germans.  Is that not a correct assumption?  Otherwise, AB looks flexible and solid. 

I suppose given the right play style, most Factions are viable?
o4b Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »

I do like Wehr, but again, it seems most people play Germans.  Is that not a correct assumption?

You can play both allied and axis factions, and while it used to be true that there was an overabundance of axis players, currently it has balanced out more or less.

I suppose given the right play style, most Factions are viable?

Yes - all factions are viable.

Quote from: EvilNRG
Pakman 1 : Hey look a slow  / dmg  vehicle is coming Pakman 2: snipe him while he is trying to escape. Pakman 3 hmm the English tea taste nice from what we got from the last staghound
Vockner Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

Yes - all factions are viable.

Excellent, thanks.  The point is most likely moot, as I expect to suck no matter which faction I play as.  Wink
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:26:06 pm »

Ha. That's funny. Sarcasm I hope, or are you really gonna defend the post I read earlier where someone was complaining that the Panther was OP?

More allied propaganda slandering my precious Wehrmacht.

All... kidding, I'm sure... aside. Just play whichever faction/doctrine fits your style.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:28:10 pm by Malgoroth » Logged
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:34:46 pm »

I suppose you could copy the Unit Price List somehow, by saving the HTML or whatever. But building your company with pen & paper.. as hardcore as it is... is kinda...

http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?page=71

You know what, I approve.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:36:44 pm »

Hmm,

So you switched to Vockner? good to know,

Personally, I use this nick to post on the forums, though ingame I always use Friso1nl :p

My personal opinion: all factions can be awesome if you know how to use them, for example: I like PE, however, I can't drive halftracks for fuck, they always don't do what they want, thus getting them killed, thus I suck with PE :p

Wehrmacht is ok I suppose, I usually am pretty good at it (for me that is) though sometimes I can just fail epicly ><

americans: Nice, the AT gun rapes (though I can say the same about the pak, but eh), I've had an AB company before the reset, after the reset I used both infantry and armor: I must say, rangers are horrible penetration wise, but against PE they rock, also, if they bum-shoot, they are complete rape.

T17's are overrated IMHO, I don't find them very hard to counter and they can be quite a pain to micro vs tanks, of course, if you can do that, they are simply awesome. the calliope is fun: it makes me wish we have a panzerwerfer halftrack (basicly the same idea as the calliope, except the germans had it and it was mounted on a halftrack) It's complete rape vs infantry and does a damn nice job in damaging vehicles and tanks (I think the best anti tank artillery there is tbh)

Brits: I got one brit company, mando's. The mando's are pretty fun, but the general brit mando pool makes me cry sometimes, basicly, with a new account the only thing I didn't have in the minus was support, which I personally don't use a lot as brits. I had to change my company around for that. One hint: piats are awesome if the enemy is buttoned, has a damaged engine or doesn't micro, but for gods sake, be sure to use some ATG's (and fireflies are kewl too) because IF he micro's properly PIATS can't do shit.

I must be honest though: I mostly play Axis, I like them more, even though I lose a lot with them lately (Might add that I've had games with new people, with people dropping and of course my processor overheating)

That's about it- I kinda got into ranting about my personal opinion about the docterines >< anyway, don't let my opinion scare you, anyway, no problem about helping you, hope you have fun around here.

PS: I personally won't be able to play for a while I fear, I need to buy a new cooling for my processor (it's damaged, so my PC has a chance to overheat when I play CoH) but I am kind of broke, though I might be able to scavenge some money somewhere.

Might not be MY Doctirine, but it's so damn close I'll TAKE IT!
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »

Vockner, PM me your email address, I've got that spreadsheet you're looking for.

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 05:18:09 pm »

PS: I personally won't be able to play for a while I fear, I need to buy a new cooling for my processor (it's damaged, so my PC has a chance to overheat when I play CoH) but I am kind of broke, though I might be able to scavenge some money somewhere.

Dude, my PC overheats like a mother fucker as well. I just pulled off the side panel and set a fan right next to it to blow nice cool air into the thing all the time. Works like a charm Cheesy
LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:38:28 pm »

problem is my inet cable is very, very short, so I have to put it in about a square feet (Else my other wires, like my wires to the screen) wont make it, if I place a fan there, I literally got no place for my feet, which I am already short :p also, we got no fan except one which is 1 to 2 meters high (depending on how you set it) so it wouldn't fit :p

So in the end buying a new fan would take about the same efford as all you say xD
bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 06:40:53 pm »

My cpu fan went out a few days ago, and I didn't even notice a big change in temps.

LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 06:50:17 pm »

Weird...

Well, my PC just crashes and shuts itself down when I play CoH because of overheating, so not all of us are that lucky! Sad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc