Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 12:22:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things to Do and See in Normandy  (Read 2588 times)
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 02, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »

Hey Guys

I'm going for a long weekend in Normandy in a few weeks. Starting in Caen for a night out then all saturday will be travelling accross normandy, finishing in Cherbourg (for another heavy night no doubt) and leaving Sunday morning. So I've got about 12-14 hours in Normandy sight seeing. Anyone been or know the area? What should I absolutely definitely see?

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:04:59 pm »

A doctor. After your vacation.

LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:17:56 pm »

look for reichs finest p4
Eternal Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:28:17 pm »

Theres always the beaches. They are just beaches with a few decaying bunkers, but then you can say you've been there.

The huge graveyard is quite impressive as well. But it's been 8 years since last time i was by, so things might have changed.

There might be some viking/norman museums as well, if you wanna go a bit further back in time.

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »

There's a lot of impressive bunkers, gun sites and entrenchments you can visit. They really give you a feeling. Most of the musems are awesome as well.

Give those french girls a kiss from me

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 05:31:43 pm »

The huge graveyard is quite impressive as well. But it's been 8 years since last time i was by, so things might have changed.

YES! (ok, that sounds... dunno, weird) But if there is anything that really stays with you for the rest of the life it's the sheer impact of white crosses... as far as you can see.

It really is twisted and sick, yet so calm and... I dunno, it just really makes you realise what happened....

Now I've been too Normandy three times, but while I could tell you about some damn good museums and some other stuff, I actually have NO fucking clue where they actually are, the first time I was 11, second time 12 and third time 15 (now (almost) 17) So I didn't do the driving. Point du Hoc was pretty nice, but a bit crouded, the beaches were OK I guess, but not much too see except for some decaying bunkers. Saint mere Eglise is pretty fun, but way of your route (so is the other stuff anyway) I haven't been much into the land, mostly around the beaches, the only time that we actually went more towards paris etc was when I was 15, but I honestly can't recall where I have been, but like I said, this is what I suggesT:

1. !Visit one of the massive graveyards!
2. Try to visit some lesser known museum, we actually found one, it was a private museum, run by some old guy, he actually gave us some stuff, including a original radio lamp (I think it's called).
3. Go there for 4, 5 days (or at least 4 to 5 days without being drunk) and visit stuff around the beaches.

Might not be MY Doctirine, but it's so damn close I'll TAKE IT!
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:38 am »

I went to Normandy three times as well.
There's tons of different things to see and do in Normandy but I'll just stick to war related tourism
When I was there the last time we visited a ton of museums, the ones listed are the ones I remember best and consider worth it. (Remember, theres A LOT of museums but most are not really worth it, them french try to make a museum out of everything)

1. Pointe du Hoc
2. Omaha Beach + American War Cemetery
3. Arromanches, nice little town where the allies crossed the canal with supplies and materials after the landing.
Has several okay museums dedicated to this, also has a 360° cinema/museum with war footage
4. Saint Mere Eglise, cool little town with lots of nice shops, still has a paratrooper doll hanging on the church to commemorate the air landings. Also has several museums dedicated to the airborne operations of D-day.
5. Pegasus Bridge (you can still see the original bridge in the pegasus museum)
6. Ouistreham bunker museum, museum on the atlantic wall, inside a large bunker.
7. La Cambe, German War Cemetery (Probably as large as the American one)
8. Museum of the battle of normandy, Bayeux

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:38:57 am by Unkn0wn » Logged
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:04:50 am »

The Mulberry harbour at Arromanche is a must-see. It is arguably one of the least-known aspects of the D-Day invasion, and easily one of the most important. Without it, Operation Overlord would have stopped dead in it's tracks just days after the landings.

Definitely go see it, it will blow your mind.

-Wind

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05:44 am »

3. Go there for 4, 5 days (or at least 4 to 5 days without being drunk) and visit stuff around the beaches.

Have to work and I don't do anything without being drunk.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, will start planning a route
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc