Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 01:34:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Processor for me  (Read 9329 times)
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 10:31:35 am »

wtf... I didn't know there was someone who knew stuff around. I'm gonna have to have a talk with u there Killer =)

My Quad's at around 3.5 (up from 2.4) at the moment... I still had around .2v of headroom, too, I just got bored of doing stability checks.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 01:39:56 pm »

Ok, first we decide what parts I need. Then I bug you how to OC them all the way to hell and a bit farther.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »

Ok, give me a minute.

because a Q9550 is in price almost as much as e.g. a LGA1156 mainboard+Core i5 750
and as said its very limited by FSB and scales bad running multithreaded applications

thats why an cheap investment for a Q8300 is ok but for the expensive Q9550 is a waste imho

So.. you would recommend people to sell all their stuff and change everything again because one single game benefits of the i7's latest instructions.. kay. Mind you that quad cores were released 4 years ago and the support they're being given is poor at most, it'll fun to see how much time it'll take until i7's multithreaded structure becomes standarized  Roll Eyes. And no, I didn't recommend him a Q9550 unless certain conditions are met that makes a full change to i7 pointless.
 Factor in DDR3 price in as well and it won't be as much anymore  Tongue.

nah there is a difference its just that most games are limited by GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=108

Exactly, why get more when any quad working at 4ghz is enough to satisfy any application/game out there... unless you really like to waste your money to get the latest shit. The only reason you might want to get an i7 920 it's because is a tad faster on CF/SLi setups, but that's about it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2715/3

You would get a new processor for a single game in the entire world, really? Besides Anno 1401 and SupremmeCommander 2 any Quad Core with 4ghz is overkill for any game.
 That graph is good to prove how crappy is the Q8xxx architecture compared to the E8xxx though.. they can't even take advantage on a fully optimized game for quads rofl.

and if you buy a cpu you will mostly keep it 2 years or something
that's why i would think twice if i buy a DualCore CPU and i would think twice if i spend 230++€ (283$) into a Q9550 when i get a Q8300 for a bit more than the half

It can't even beat a E8400 on quad friendly games, a 2xE8400 (=Q9550) will just laugh at that, that's the reason why you should not get it.

but there are more and more games comming out but there are more and more games comming out that make use of quadcores
i don't think he buys his CPU for just a week or something

People have saying that since they were released 4 years ago  Roll Eyes. The support they are being given is just poor, quad are the future but not yet. If you are undecided between a low quality quad and a high end dual, your best option still is the dual (the e8xxx are the only worth buying).

It is intended trust me

for further informations about load line and vdroop consult the intel technical datasheets

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/318726.pdf

page 22 and following

before you buy a cpu you should make sure that it is on the supported CPU list of your mainboard to make sure there is an up to date bios provided and the vrm circuitry is able to handle it

to use something like "load line calibration" in bios of some 1337 OC boards where the vrm circuts pump more voltage into your CPU than the load line intends will give your CPU some "nice" little voltage peaks that are way higher than the vcore you set up

BigDick you are either:

1st- Just skipping everything I said without reading it.

2nd- On a constant loop that regardless of what I say you will copy & paste the same answer.

3rd- Don't really know what affects and how the vdroop is managed by the VRMs.

I never said that vdroop was bad or not intended, I didn't even mention LLC (which is just a silly tool to fool people). Read again everything.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:52:05 pm by Killer344 » Logged

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Prydain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Killer, look what I have purchased for that fine head of hair of yours.

The Germans in Greek
Are sadly to seek;
Not five in five score,
But ninety-five more;
All, save only Hermann,
And Hermann's a German.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »

Hahaha, welcome back Prydain!
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »

LOL

Ok, first we decide what parts I need. Then I bug you how to OC them all the way to hell and a bit farther.

You are going to use it for gaming mainly, right? Because I went a tad over budget  Sad.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

XFX 650W PSU

ASUS M4A89TD PRO

MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770

G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »

I need some advice too  Shocked
I'm currently running an old AMD 3500+ AMD Athlon 64 Processor and I'm really in need of a low price replacement. (Preferably a dual core as currently I'm even unable to broadcast smoothly) I'm running an old machine but already upgraded my RAM and GFX card (9600GT 512)  to keep up, I'm under the impression the processor is causing a bottleneck though, or maybe it's just getting weary. Either way, it needs to go.

I used to run COH on highest settings smoothly but over time I had to lower my settings because I started getting framedrops, particularly on 3vs3s and 4vs4s. It's gotten really bad lately, Performance tests still show I get an average of 48 FPS on COH so my GFX card definitely has the potential to provide me with a better performance if my CPU could keep up.

Looking at the dual core AMD processors, the AMD Athlon II X2 255, 250 and 240e seem reasonably priced at about 60 - 80 euros. There's also the X3 405E and 440 for about 90 euros, which I consider to be a reasonable price still.

I'm a total nub when it comes to processors, I'm not even sure I have the proper sockets and I have no clue how to install a processor on my own. (I can install RAM and Videocards, but I'm under the impression this is a little trickier) Cheesy

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »

It's a socket939 motherboard lawl, the box says it's 'dual core ready' but I guess I'm fucked if I want to find a proper processor that still works with 939 hahahah
BigDick
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 05:07:59 pm »

So.. you would recommend people to sell all their stuff and change everything again because one single game benefits of the i7's latest instructions.. kay.

it is not just one single game and actually i said i would not spent much bucks into a S775 CPU anymore because for the high priced S775 quads you'll almost get board and a small S1156 CPU like i5 750 or i7 860 that beat the highest S775 quads and especially in Multithreaded applications and leaving enough room for OC

To spent some bucks into a cheap S775 quad is ok imho

Exactly, why get more when any quad working at 4ghz is enough to satisfy any application/game out there... unless you really like to waste your money to get the latest shit. The only reason you might want to get an i7 920 it's because is a tad faster on CF/SLi setups, but that's about it.

actually you have recommend him a DualCore no Quadcore and there are games (reference to hardware.fr) which are not even totally smooth (<30fps) on fasted core i7 quad.
but thats currently not the avarage and actually there are people doing more using their private PC than playing games, like video encoding, raytracing or runing a gentoo system

i might want to get a faster CPU because i can upgrade my GPU in 1-2 years or something with a single GPU card twice as fast as current SLI without upgrading my CPU again
or i might want spent less time for encoding DVDs or something or an emerge world
there can be many reasons but to say "hey my bob shooter runs most time with 30++FPS using a E8500" so no one need to buy a more fast CPU is just bullshit

there is a phrase in germany that is called "Klotzen nicht kleckern" Cheesy

I never said that vdroop was bad or not intended, I didn't even mention LLC (which is just a silly tool to fool people). Read again everything.

you said core2quads suck for OC because they get a higher vdroop and you need much more vcore, considering that they are intended to have a higher vdroop because its current draw can get higher while having all 4 cores at full load, i don't see wat you wanted to argument with that
BigDick
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »

It's a socket939 motherboard lawl, the box says it's 'dual core ready' but I guess I'm fucked if I want to find a proper processor that still works with 939 hahahah

haha i have one here a S939 X2 3800+ running @2.6Ghz in one of my systems it wasn't able to broadcast and keep 3v3s smoothly on low (GPU was a 8800GTS)

i would not recomment buying a A64 dual core anymore especially since they are far away from being cheap and your running probably just 1-2GB DDR1 ram
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 05:14:21 pm »

Well fuck broadcasting then, I just want to be able to run the game smoothly on high again, and my processor is clearly fucking me over. I don't need more ram, I need more muscle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:17:13 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
Prydain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »

Hahaha, welcome back Prydain!
No welcoming back my coquettish darling. I am trotting by whipping my Gimcrack just to check you are all still alive and hoping that you aren't.
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 05:27:33 pm »

The build seems solid to me and very close to the stuff I was looking at. Since that 750 was only for the CPU, GPU, Mobo and RAM (I want to spend under 1000$ on the whole thing) I'm a little under the budget. I was thinking of getting this ram instead:

G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231254

Any comments?
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 06:14:32 pm »

You'll loose the Dual Channel function if you put 3 sticks of ram.. Dual Channel on AMD CPUs only works with 2-4 sticks.

I would change the VGA for a 5850 if you can, if not a top end mother like GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD7, you could also think about getting another HD to set up a RAID 0..

See if you can get an used x2 on ebay or something like that.. I wouldn't spend more than 40-60 bucks tbh.

So.. you would recommend people to sell all their stuff and change everything again because one single game benefits of the i7's latest instructions.. kay.

it is not just one single game and actually i said i would not spent much bucks into a S775 CPU anymore because for the high priced S775 quads you'll almost get board and a small S1156 CPU like i5 750 or i7 860 that beat the highest S775 quads and especially in Multithreaded applications and leaving enough room for OC

To spent some bucks into a cheap S775 quad is ok imho

Ok, I can't argue against your "imho", I'm just tired of it. I already explained everything in detail but you always seem to forget the context and repeat yourself again.

actually you have recommend him a DualCore no Quadcore and there are games (reference to hardware.fr) which are not even totally smooth (<30fps) on fasted core i7 quad.
but thats currently not the avarage and actually there are people doing more using their private PC than playing games, like video encoding, raytracing or runing a gentoo system

Because he didn't have the budget to get a good quad like the ones we are talking about, and he was stuck between a low end quad and a high end dual? See... this is just dull.

i might want to get a faster CPU because i can upgrade my GPU in 1-2 years or something with a single GPU card twice as fast as current SLI without upgrading my CPU again
or i might want spent less time for encoding DVDs or something or an emerge world
there can be many reasons but to say "hey my bob shooter runs most time with 30++FPS using a E8500" so no one need to buy a more fast CPU is just bullshit

there is a phrase in germany that is called "Klotzen nicht kleckern" Cheesy

Sure, if you have the budget that would be a good call, but he didn't. You are just arguing for the sake of it Roll Eyes.

yo, I have one for you in spanish "Chupála reverendo boludo".

you said core2quads suck for OC because they get a higher vdroop and you need much more vcore, considering that they are intended to have a higher vdroop because its current draw can get higher while having all 4 cores at full load, i don't see wat you wanted to argument with that

lol, yeah, you are not even bothering to read. I never said they suck for OC because they have a higher vdroop (I only said it can become more difficult depending on the VID/Revision). I wrote "you have to be carefull about which mother you choose because most of them (like most of Asus boards) can't follow Intel's specifications", it doesn't matter what MB's manuals say really, only what they can do in practice. And no, I'm not referring to LLC or anything like that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:21:14 pm by Killer344 » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 01:43:45 pm »

Any chance formatting would restore my old performance? 3vs3s Are practically unplayable for me, sigh.
Lowering settings doesn't really work, I continue getting framedrops.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 01:55:48 pm »

i always format my pc once a year.
it does feel that my pc becomes faster again, but i've never checked.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 05:27:13 am »

I ordered myself a new processor  Cheesy
MultiDoc Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:09 am »

Any chance formatting would restore my old performance? 3vs3s Are practically unplayable for me, sigh.
Lowering settings doesn't really work, I continue getting framedrops.

Defragmenting your Hard disk helps too.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc