Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:11:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 4663 times)
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« on: June 24, 2010, 04:27:04 pm »

I had this idea earlier, and I know a lot of you won't like it, but yeah it's just a thought.

Anyway, I was thinking, to help introduce new players into the way EiR works, would it be possible to introduce AI "bots" for newer players to play against? There could be differently skilled bots for each doctrine, each with a ready built company, that new players can test themselves against, both so that they understand the games mechanics, and also so that they can learn the maps a bit better, and come up with some decent strategies they can try.

And, to stop grinding,Once these players have leveled up to say, level 3 or 4 via playing against the bots, they could no longer gain xp, or pp from playing them, so that they have enough knowledge, and unlocks to get them started on the multiplayer aspect.

It would also help the teamplay aspect as certain teams could work out better strategies and find out what works against what.

I know that, people will say "Oh well that defeats the whole point of EiR; it's multiplayer, go back to CoH if you want a skirmish.", but as I said it's only mainly intended so people can get to grips with it.

Just a thought.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:41:46 pm »

Can't find the tread but someone brought up 3 v1 game modes and some such, with EIRRMOD said he had being toying with some Co-op ideas for the mod.

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
#Freek Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:26:20 pm »

Yeah this would be a good idea for introducing newbs to EiR... or wasting time when all the allies are hiding  Tongue
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:39:55 pm »

it would be nice to have some dedicated people that will only play noobs and help instruct them.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Computer991 Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »

it would be nice to have some dedicated people that will only play noobs and help instruct them.

=) I do that,i call it helping other people call it stomping..I seriously always give out tips in these noob games but no one listens to them.

FanaticOpposition Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 12:45:49 am »

How about good players playing WITH the noobs...now there's a novel idea  Grin

I know Uglysori is good about this...don't know that I've seen any other good players do it. We need the mentor program back.

Uunderfire Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 01:29:22 am »

EiRMOD will have to change the IA, because vet 2 full life panzersgren with schreks who retreat... that's not very good  Grin

CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 01:46:42 am »

=) I do that,i call it helping other people call it stomping..I seriously always give out tips in these noob games but no one listens to them.

you play AGAINST the noobs. The proper way of mentoring is playing WITH the noobs...

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
CommanderHolt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 01:48:32 am »

Aren't you suppose to play with Newbs? Its kind of pointless to play with noobs since they stubbornly refuse to learn anything.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 01:50:42 am »

ehh, some of them will listen.  Bayarea was a complete noob when I first played with him, but he listened and now he's a pretty solid player, better than a large % of the players in EIR, it just depends.  Some of the noobs are hopeless, but others watch/listen and learn.
ImmanioEiR Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 02:07:51 am »

Aren't you suppose to play with Newbs? Its kind of pointless to play with noobs since they stubbornly refuse to learn anything.
Remember, far from everyone actually bothers to use the terms "newbs" and "noobs" to mean different things. Don't take ctrl-alt-del as gospel for all things (anything?) gamer/net related.

As for the actual topic, as someone said, you'd have one hell of a job ahead of you to write a completely new AI for it, methinks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:19:58 am by ImmanioEiR » Logged
TheLastArmada Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 03:30:32 am »

Theres no wax on wax off to EIR, learn by feeling it, SO FEEL IT

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 03:57:58 am »

some of them are stubborn but most of them wanna listen. Usually the ones who've played coh in mp b4 are the most responsive, but the ones i usually have trouble with are the ones who'e nver played mp and just picked it up cuz it looks like a cool mod.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:00 am »

As for the actual topic, as someone said, you'd have one hell of a job ahead of you to write a completely new AI for it, methinks.

Well yeah there's no way I would ever possibly be able to recode an AI, not exactly one of my forte's, but I'm sure one of the Dev's would be able to give it a go?

It's just when I first started, not only do very few people want to play with you due to your low rank, but you're also a prime target for smurfers and stompers, since very few new people know any better.
ImmanioEiR Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 05:28:09 am »

Well, to be honest, I don't think any of the devs has the sort of time needed to do any AI coding. Now, I don't really know, but I'd imagine that would be a job on par with the rest of the mod itself (probably also a completely different sort of coding from the rest).
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:56:53 am »

This is something EiRRMod has in store sometime in version 0.9

Quite frankly - don't expect it within the next 6 months, but in a year - it's quite possible.

EIR Regular

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:30 am »

some of them are stubborn but most of them wanna listen. Usually the ones who've played coh in mp b4 are the most responsive, but the ones i usually have trouble with are the ones who'e nver played mp and just picked it up cuz it looks like a cool mod.

I wish I had someone give me tips on play and company builds, I would listen all day. Back in the day, before TLS, I had a mentor but he sucked. Had to learn most things on my own and I'm still trying to figure some things out.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 11:40:37 am »

I wish I had someone give me tips on play and company builds, I would listen all day. Back in the day, before TLS, I had a mentor but he sucked. Had to learn most things on my own and I'm still trying to figure some things out.

get on vent and talk to the mentors. that's what they're for
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 11:48:22 am »

Who was your mentor?

EIR Regular

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 11:50:51 am »

Who was your mentor?

I honestly don't remember. If he still played I might remember him. I was mentored, if you can call it that, on Wehrmacht. I play OK but for some reason I feel I'm not getting something right. I don't make stupid mistakes and my micro has gotten much better. I'm thinking it's company composition, as I'm constantly changing it as of late. Of course, I have the same problems with AB as well...can't seem to get out of a 1:3 win/loss ratio. Maybe it's team cohesion or the people I'm facing. I love to play but it gets frustrating at times.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:55:41 am by FanaticOpposition » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc