Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:32:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map idea suggestion thread  (Read 12414 times)
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: July 23, 2010, 04:25:38 am »

Hello everyone. Recently i have thought up of many great maps that would be great in Europe in Ruins, all with good deviation and with balance. Unforunatly, i am unable to make maps because i have too much work and it would be the worst map you'd ever seen. So, since i had these idea's i decided to make  a forum where i can post my plans for maps. Some may be used, some may not. Remember these are just rough outlines and the ratio of objects are a bit out, but the general structure is the main message i am trying to get through. More shall be added as i get more ideas.

Map no.1

This map is a tanteville style  map built on a 2v2 platform. The plan is as follows:

V2:

With subtitals:

The key to it:

The spawns for this 2v2 map will be either both sides on the roads or the two small paths and areas of intrest on the left and right side. Recommend the latter.  For this one the main road is a lil unproportioned, but that is intentional elaboration.

If anything need elaboration or... translation (i know i have messy handwriting) feel free to ask.

If anyone wishes to make this into a map contact me with any questions you may need, such as placement. Remember this is a rough outline and should not be followed to the letter. Thank you.

Map no.2:

This is a larger WIP for me. This is going to be a desert map based on a hill  called Jebel Berda (Hill 772), based in Africa. There was a large battle fought here, called the Battle of El Guettar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_El_Guettar). It will be based at a small town + mountain surrounds (with authentic french outpost) at: LAT  34°22'25.70"N LONG   8°56'48.39"E. It would make an ideal map because:

1. It is a differant map than the run of the mill type.

2: there will be mountain passes through the mountains, as well as elevated positions that will make it hard to occupy the town without the hill. This would force players to try and take the hill as a major defencive position as well as objective if they wish to have a secure stranglehold on the town.

3: It will restrict the flow of tanks in curtain areas, making infinty vital to root out defensive positions with combined armour support.

I hope to draw a map in the case of the next few months.

PS: Yes, i do take map - drawing rather seriously. I just  wish to add historical acceracy and intrest to this game.

EDIT: Added in Version 2 of map 1.
EDIT 2: Added in Version 2 with subtitals and much needed key.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:50:29 am by Calstifer » Logged

"This man is incapable of doing the most simpleist of tasks.

I recommend never asking this person to do any tasked deemed easy for infants. Ever." -Various sorces.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:26:32 am »

According to unknown square maps don't work in EIR maps, but i think it's because old habbits die hard, give it a shot but i'd say leave yourself to be able to remake it into a longer rectangular map. Other than that it's nice to see someone commit so much to planning, rather than jumping in head first. I'd like to see a rough plan in world builder too, then might be able to give you some rough feedback what the balance may be like.

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:52:19 am »

According to unknown square maps don't work in EIR maps, but i think it's because old habbits die hard, give it a shot but i'd say leave yourself to be able to remake it into a longer rectangular map.

I was thining over wether to make it rectangular when i read this. I totally agree, ive seen that most all EIR maps are rectanguar and that that is because it leaves more gaps inbetween spawn points/ choke points without adding more map size.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:38 am »

Square maps work, but they make it either a really short distance to spawn or a really hard map to set up a front line on. Most EIR players prefer a front line with little chance of being flanked without their knowing about it.

Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:13:33 pm »

Square maps work, but they make it either a really short distance to spawn or a really hard map to set up a front line on. Most EIR players prefer a front line with little chance of being flanked without their knowing about it.

Which means that the map will be unpopular if its square. Im making a 44.8X32 CM V2 now. Only got a quarter done in three hours.
Grundwaffe Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 04:15:15 pm »

44.8X32 CM V2
Right.

SublimeHauken - Back from the dead - Since 2007'
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 04:30:46 pm »

Let me elaborate. The map will be 32 CM wide and 44.8 CM tall, in my verson 2. This is converted in a ratio of 1:5 to make the map 160 Cubits wide and 224 cubits tall.
Ununoctium Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 07:47:53 pm »

why always square and rectangle?
why not hexagonal?
or octagonal?

allows less backcapping sectors, wider frontline.

Quote from: shockcoil
Quote from: CrazyWR
My tigers get penetrated by everything.  Its really really frustrating.
Your tiger is a whore
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:04:17 pm »

why always square and rectangle?
why not hexagonal?
or octagonal?

allows less backcapping sectors, wider frontline.

I would like to, but i cant do this as far as im aware. Map sizes are restricted.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:26:59 pm »

You can do them, its a pain and requires large amounts of blocking terrain or objects. I often thought of doing something like that, but you know what, flanking and backcapping are about the only thing keeping support spam from being all powerful right now.
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:39:01 pm »

Update of V2 is up. 4-5 hours of solid work so you'd better enjoy.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

Looks good. I would be all over North Africa for maps but we lack buildings, plants, features etc for it.

I really would kill for a North Afrika mod, 1941-1942.

I suggest sticking to Europe with what we have at hand. I was thinking of doing some historic maps long ago for the TLS campaign that Salan was running. Never got much support for it though.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »

make it look more realistic like schijndel and vcoh maps. and i still cant read anything u wrote down. use microsoft paint?
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »

make it look more realistic

Tried my best to do this, although i know im not quite good at that. Any thing i should change in order for realisum?

PS edited with subtitals and key.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:53:45 pm by Calstifer » Logged
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »

Tried my best to do this, although i know im not quite good at that. Any thing i should change in order for realisum?

PS edited with subtitals and key.

thx.

this is how it looks realistic:

and this is how it doesnt:
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »

There arnt any roads in the country side? Who Knew!?!!?

These are the small footpaths that connect farms, i put the mesurments on them to say that they were small. I think that its more realistic if you have roads connecting farms. Otherwise, how would peoeple with cars get to their farms? Although not every farmer had cars, how would other survaces such as mail get to you. How would people know where to visit you? These roads are the small roads that you can see on the map before. In a real county though, there arnt roads connecting each field. So, in fact, wouldnt my map be more realistic because in real life such roads everywhere do not exist.
scoopdjm Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »

Cal your map looks pretty good but you need lots more detail and less giant grassy fields. you need to really think about how a town would expand and the typs of areas around it (for accuracy) and then you need to put cover inbetween the main areas so troops can retreat and advance (gameplay values.)

example:

this map is neither acceptable for gameplay nor am i satisfied with it but it shows detail (not even as exsentsively as i would have liked), cover between main areas, and example value (and i mean by that that the enviroment grows thicker as you head towards the center of the map) because on a real map the map would go from forest to field to outskirts to suburb to innercity. getting thicker along the way.

p.s. i have little experience with mapping Coh but do have experince in other map editing games such as the farcry series, halo (it sucks), and some experience at SW: empire at war.

p.s.s. i hope i'm not interefering with your thread jsut thought i should tell you you need to revise you maps.

salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 03:54:14 pm »

damn it i was trying to work on a map but it won't load the darn thing, says outside of known mods.  Anyone know how to fix that?

deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 03:58:17 pm »

are you starting from scratch or pulled the map from a mod?
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:00 pm »

i gotz it working, stupid world builder..

hey anyone know the old link that had the map sizes detailed for comparison Sad

trying not to derail this thread
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc