Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:22:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Today at 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding Surrendering infantry  (Read 11445 times)
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

So basically, you're setting up surrender units to be in a firing squad.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »

- The units can be killed, although they cannot be selected or targetted.

If we rly have a problem with it, just change the surrender unit's armor type to tp_invincible, so they cant be killed.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 08:05:59 pm »

...We are talking AFTER game dufus...

EiRNames:- MittinsKittens & FlutterShyPegasus
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 08:13:29 pm »

Well if we are gonna start inventing ethical reasons for why a simulation of mercy shouldn't be incorporated into the game, Id much rather have units surrender humanely, instead of being gunned down while retreating.

EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »

I'd M10 crush them for xps.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »

I'd M10 crush them for xps.

- The Surrendering units are assigned to a player of the opposite team, so the owner looses their LOS whilst the enemy can see where their new POWs are going.

squads get assigned as a friendly unit from your perspective. You cant crush friendly units.
MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 08:19:40 pm »

To be honest, I don't care what happens to vet during/after the match, I hardly carry around vet in my company, I find it drags me down too much in terms of fighting. I rather have my men fight to the death and maybe take stuff out, then save their vet and run away when my enemy is still standing.
I'm just caring what happens to other people.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »

I just don't like the idea of players losing control of their units because you happen to force them to surrender before they can retreat them.

I don't like the idea of players losing their units due to explosions before they can retreat them...  not much difference really?

but hmmm... I have an idea with this, I was going to test this mini mod out on fall of france, its actually in my list of mods to implement, just wasn't sure if I really wanted to or not..  I could test it there, and we could see how it works in game and then people could decide if its soemthing to bring forward to EIR or not.

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 08:31:48 pm »

but hmmm... I have an idea with this, I was going to test this mini mod out on fall of france, its actually in my list of mods to implement, just wasn't sure if I really wanted to or not..  I could test it there, and we could see how it works in game and then people could decide if its soemthing to bring forward to EIR or not.

That would be fantastic.

Say no to pessimistic attitudes. Cheesy
fallensoldier7 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »

If I read the OP correctly, your units surrender when they get pinned? What if I'm trying to attack a garrisoned MG from two directions and I have a 2 man squad and a 4 man squad.  I use the 2 man squad to draw fire, it gets pinned, but because this surrender thing rolls the squad surrenders before my second squad gets into nade range.

MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 08:35:38 pm »

Would make FoF an intresting mod if you do add it, and it would be intresting to see it in action Smiley
Just, like I said before, its really the after game that's makes this a bit iffy for me at least. (Doesn't matter in FoF, since what happens after is a fresh new game with new units, in EiR, its your old units, even units you've fell in love with, maybe even named Sad )
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 08:42:31 pm »

If I read the OP correctly, your units surrender when they get pinned? What if I'm trying to attack a garrisoned MG from two directions and I have a 2 man squad and a 4 man squad.  I use the 2 man squad to draw fire, it gets pinned, but because this surrender thing rolls the squad surrenders before my second squad gets into nade range.

Depends on the surrender requirements we'd give that particular squad. or even if we would even allowed a squad to surrender under suppression.

I dont think that a squad takes more suppression because it has less squad members, which means that the squad must go all the way through suppression, become pinned and remain pinned for a set number of seconds. Lets say that it must be pinned for 5 seconds. that seems reasonable.

It usually takes 2-3 full bursts to pin a rifle squad, so you got that amount of time + 5 seconds before the 2man squad surrenders.

If you havent flanked the machine gun within that time, you didnt set up the flank right, or you took too long, or your flank failed from the offset.

Either way, it sounds to me like you got enough time to do what you gotta do.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »

Just, like I said before, its really the after game that's makes this a bit iffy for me at least. (Doesn't matter in FoF, since what happens after is a fresh new game with new units, in EiR, its your old units, even units you've fell in love with, maybe even named Sad )

Why are you tying so much sentiment to a computer game soldier?  Just curious.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 08:54:47 pm »

I dont think that a squad takes more suppression because it has less squad members, which means that the squad must go all the way through suppression, become pinned and remain pinned for a set number of seconds. Lets say that it must be pinned for 5 seconds. that seems reasonable.

"Corporal, run into the front of that MG and distract it whilst I take my mans around the side and spam nades at it."
"Yes sir!"
*Runs into firing range of MG*
"Oh noes, the MG is firing upon me! I cannot take this for much longer! 5 seconds is too long! I must give up!"
*Surrenders*
*MG switches to a position in which it can fire upon sergeants ninja nade squad*
"Oh noes! My corporal has been a gutless coward and failed in his duties! Now we are hopelessly pinned by a single MG with no hope of surviving! Let us surrender instantly!"

Just saying.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

Like I said many a time, I don't care for vet and hardly vet. Mainly because I'm willing to throw everything away if it means I can get a win out of it. No point retreating unless its actually unwinnable, however, I understand that some people take losing vetted men pretty serious, and my worries are mainly for them. Although, thinking about it, if they're taking it that seriously, then maybe this would be a good thing allowing "excutions after the game" if they don't pay PP...1. It will teach people not to take Vet seriously and 2. Teach them to retreat faster.
Also, I wonder if the scar allows vet bonus' of like, vet 1, -10% to retreat, vet 2. -20% ect, since they are more battle hardened, they would properly duke it out a bit longer ect and maybe even some abilitys that allow no surrendering for X seconds.
Meh, that's my lot for now, going to bed, will check this thread again later today when I wake up Smiley
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 09:04:06 pm »

"Corporal, run into the front of that MG and distract it whilst I take my mans around the side and spam nades at it."
"Yes sir!"
*Runs into firing range of MG and into green cover so that the squad takes little to no suppression*
*machine gun gets naded because the player flanked intelligently*

Fixed for you.

Please dont try to try to pick apart my purposal on the grounds that the controlling player cant flank right. Lots of shit can go wrong in any circumstance to prevent that flank.

Also not to mention the fact that you can choose the target for that MG to fire upon anyways from inside a building, so this point is rly moot b/c you have never been able to properly flank a machinegun in a building since vCoH patch 2.4, where you couldnt switch targets.

Edit- Also, need I remind you of a very informative video our good friend Leophone did showing how suppression works in CoH.

Stand near green cover and it will take you a very very long time to get pinned.

http://www.xfire.com/video/27bf1c/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:13:48 pm by Groundfire » Logged
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:49 pm »

why must the units surrender once they are pinned? just use mortar, assault troops or a command tank. it does the same job.

this would make AB even more OP also. if any normal squad gets pinned they will surrender (or get killed) but AB cant surrender (or get killed) coz of fireup.
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 01:05:34 am »

I bet some people has pointed out this:

Recruits surrender while Pros are smarter.

Its same in Close Combat. Those who surrender are always those who are without an officer to supervise them. They are alone, maybe wounded and under heavy fire. They go coward and start crawling ground, cry and sob in fear and then they notice enemy assaulting at them. What does a Recruit do? Throw his weapon away and yell outloud "I GIVE UP!"

What does a pro do? Pro takes cover under fire and gets suppressed but when he sees that assaulting squad, he will slowly pull out a handgrenade and throw it and open fire on the squad instead of doing a cowardy surrender.

That's CC ^

Now if it is possible, all the SQUAD leaders in EIRR could be somewhat made to offer small bonuses to the squad no? Every squad has a leader, it can be added to give minor bonuses no?

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 01:07:48 am »

Now if it is possible, all the SQUAD leaders in EIRR could be somewhat made to offer small bonuses to the squad no? Every squad has a leader, it can be added to give minor bonuses no?

yes the falls captain does that exact thing I believe.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 01:35:49 am »

I'll add this into FOF and see how it performs, and then we can all see how it works and see if this is even something we should bring forward or not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc