Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 01:34:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new grindless system - Factional progression (FP)  (Read 52949 times)
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 03:56:44 pm »

I put some thought into Newbie Rewards a while back. Have you considered adding in Units as well that function as a callin and do not stay with the company? Like an 80% effective Sherman for a few points or some such?

Veterancy is easily taken upto at least 8 levels on most units, no reason we can't get it to 10 levels and have it only slightly more effective at vet 10 than it currently is at vet 3. It would also help reduce the effect of vet spam by making it harder to get significant upgrades on your mans.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »

How would you display 10 levels of veterancy?
Also, AFAIK from a coding point of view, it's a lot of work to add 7 entire new levels on top of the current.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »

New vet icons....
panzerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »

i think wat he means is spread out the current vet so when they get to vet 10 that would be the equivlent strength of a vet 3 unit of the system we have now

just get smaller buffs and are more spread out.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 04:16:19 pm »

No, I meant how will you get 10 levels without confusing the hellof people so they still know what vet level a unit is at? Unless you want to go use numbers, which wouldn't be very appealing.

I think 5 vet levels would suffice really. But I do like the idea of having smaller, incremental buffs for every level.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:18:48 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

vet 1-3 icons can be recycled with different colors

Start with Black, go Green, go Gold, then a new vet 10 symbol.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »

How would you display 10 levels of veterancy?
Also, AFAIK from a coding point of view, it's a lot of work to add 7 entire new levels on top of the current.

I have seen 5 vet levels done pretty smoothly on a lot of mods.

http://www.defense.gov/specials/insignias/enlisted.html

This will probably help too

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »

I put some thought into Newbie Rewards a while back. Have you considered adding in Units as well that function as a callin and do not stay with the company? Like an 80% effective Sherman for a few points or some such?
Yep, but where to put them was the issue programatically.

Another idea thrown in was a random small AI taskforce - but that might come in to scenarios or something for the warmap.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:34 pm »

Good news is that EIRMOD has plenty of motivation to meet a deadline of December 25 2010.

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 08:48:35 pm »

Another idea thrown in was a random small AI taskforce - but that might come in to scenarios or something for the warmap.

That reminds me, Im going to write you a msg when I get the chance. I found an old scar code on relicnews that allows cinematic NIS sequences to play out at the start of multiplayer matches (like single player)

There was a youtube video of it working and everything, I thought it would be epic for when we put togather warmap based scenarios.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 02:19:28 pm »

Basically just sounds like communism.

Everybody gets essentially the same reward regardless of their individual contribution, and god forbid those who work harder should ever receive benefits that those who don't in another faction do not. That would be "unfair".

So not only is a faction's development an "all together" nonsense share circle, weaker factions with players who don't play as much ALSO are given handicaps so that they don't fall behind? What is this, Candyland?

Give me a break. I don't vote conservative in Canadian elections, and I'm not a fan of the American GOP, but even I can say this is bullshit. Give me at least some kind of a free market here.

Incentivize hard work, not entitlement complexes and laziness.

-Wind
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:24:28 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »

This is not some kind of psychatrie where people who are mentally deranged hold speeches and post fancy propaganda pictures to inspire people, thinking they are some kind of great politican. This is a forum for a modification of a great game we all love - and let's discuss it like a game. If you want to criticize our new system then feel free to do so, but do it in a serious manner.

In other words: Seriously cut down on this shit and keep it in your pants for the campaign, everyone.

/killjoy

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:06 pm »

So not only is a faction's development an "all together" nonsense share circle, weaker factions with players who don't play as much ALSO are given handicaps so that they don't fall behind? What is this, Candyland?
 -Wind
This would hold true if the only system in place was the grind.

However, its not.

*shrug*
Like I said, if it doesnt work, it doesnt work ;p
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 05:10:47 pm »

can we try something new 1st b4 we tear it a new one?

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 05:45:26 pm »

Incentivize hard work, not entitlement complexes and laziness.
 -Wind

Spamming games all freaken day is not hard work. It is time consuming work, but not hard work.

Winning battles due to skills rather than special add on abilities is hard work. Gaining an ability because of the number of games played is not a skill or hard work.

With that being said, however, this is a game. The most popular games in the world are the ones who incentivize playing more, rather than rewarding everyone the same regardless of the amount of time they dedicate.
 -Wind

This is a bold statement you make.
I just jumped online at VCoH.  2:30 p.m. PST. If I am not mistaken, this is not a peak time for game play.
However: There are currently 4,476 games being played. The peak number of games at anytime was 12,098
Total games played to date 441,183,459.
VCoH has no reward system in place; only a rank system. Over 400 million games have been played in a system that does not reward you for the number of games you play.
I think you are over exaggerating the importance of rewarding someone for the number of games played.

In my opinion: Rewards for great play > rewards for spamming games

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »

But Tank, you were also AGAINST rewards for winning.

Your complaint about making vet the grind and major difference was that people that were not as good would not stand a chance of keeping vet.

You would also be against winning being what counts towards gaining points instead of games played.

I think we should do both of those, reward the good player, if you can't bother to get better, you don't advance.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »

I am not, and have never been against awards for wining.
I am however, very against taking something away for loosing.

I fully support a vet system as a "grind" so to speak, but not doctrines.
I feel casual players should have just as much ability as hard core game spammers.

So to clarify using Vet as the grind:

A good player, regardless of how often he plays, has the same opportunity to gain and maintain vet as a player who plays more often. That vet is gained by playing well. The vet is the reward for skilled play.

Obviously, if you had two players of equal skill and one played often, and the other not as often; The player who played more often would gain more vet at a quicker rate. The second player would have to play better, or more often to match. But I think this is a rare case.

Vet is the reward for good skills on the battle field. Vetting your units to the highest levels would be the grind.

A new player to the mod would only be at a disadvantage to the highly skilled players who maintained a high level of Vet. Let’s face it, the majority of the players here would have a tough time maintaining large amounts of vet (assuming of course the vet levels are not set at ridiculously low levels). There would also be a much larger low level player base for them to play.

XP used to purchase vet:

Every game played will give a pre-determined amount of XP. If you win the game, your xp amount is increased.
All remaining units that were deployed in battle, will receive the xp. This will eliminate people playing for only 5 mins just to get XP.

So basically: you play hard and smart to win. Your smart play not only preserves your units, but you are rewarded for the good play with extra xp. You need to play well to win and you are rewarded for doing so.

By not penalizing people for loosing, you eliminate people dodging new players for fear of losing xp.

DOCTRINES:

Doctrines need to stay in the game to allow people the customization they want. This creates a bond with your company and a personalization. Doctrines should not be the reward for spamming games.

In a warmap environment, the doctrines should be released as the war progresses.

There is the slight possibility some players may not play until the war map is near it's end, just so they can get all the doctrines at once, but they will not have any xp for their vet. There will be dick heads in this mod no matter what we do, but we do not have to create the mod around them.

The way I see this system working:

Doctrines give us the customization we want. We gain Doctrine abilities as the war progresses, keeping us interested in continuing with to play.

Vet gives us the reward for good play. Vet is rewarded to players who play well. Reaching maximum vet is the grind, but you have to L2P to get it.

We reward good players, but do not take away from poor players. Everybody gains xp for playing, but the winners are rewarded even more for playing well.

We would need to implement something in the launcher to ensure winners of stacked games do not receive additional xp.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 10:08:31 pm »

I am not, and have never been against awards for wining.
I am however, very against taking something away for loosing.

I fully support a vet system as a "grind" so to speak, but not doctrines.
I feel casual players should have just as much ability as hard core game spammers.

So to clarify using Vet as the grind:

A good player, regardless of how often he plays, has the same opportunity to gain and maintain vet as a player who plays more often. That vet is gained by playing well. The vet is the reward for skilled play.

Obviously, if you had two players of equal skill and one played often, and the other not as often; The player who played more often would gain more vet at a quicker rate. The second player would have to play better, or more often to match. But I think this is a rare case.

Vet is the reward for good skills on the battle field. Vetting your units to the highest levels would be the grind.

A new player to the mod would only be at a disadvantage to the highly skilled players who maintained a high level of Vet. Let’s face it, the majority of the players here would have a tough time maintaining large amounts of vet (assuming of course the vet levels are not set at ridiculously low levels). There would also be a much larger low level player base for them to play.

XP used to purchase vet:

Every game played will give a pre-determined amount of XP. If you win the game, your xp amount is increased.
All remaining units that were deployed in battle, will receive the xp. This will eliminate people playing for only 5 mins just to get XP.

So basically: you play hard and smart to win. Your smart play not only preserves your units, but you are rewarded for the good play with extra xp. You need to play well to win and you are rewarded for doing so.

By not penalizing people for loosing, you eliminate people dodging new players for fear of losing xp.

DOCTRINES:

Doctrines need to stay in the game to allow people the customization they want. This creates a bond with your company and a personalization. Doctrines should not be the reward for spamming games.

In a warmap environment, the doctrines should be released as the war progresses.

There is the slight possibility some players may not play until the war map is near it's end, just so they can get all the doctrines at once, but they will not have any xp for their vet. There will be dick heads in this mod no matter what we do, but we do not have to create the mod around them.

The way I see this system working:

Doctrines give us the customization we want. We gain Doctrine abilities as the war progresses, keeping us interested in continuing with to play.

Vet gives us the reward for good play. Vet is rewarded to players who play well. Reaching maximum vet is the grind, but you have to L2P to get it.

We reward good players, but do not take away from poor players. Everybody gains xp for playing, but the winners are rewarded even more for playing well.

We would need to implement something in the launcher to ensure winners of stacked games do not receive additional xp.

This is false, any idiot can gain vet by retreating at the first sign of trouble, the only way to keep vet in the hands of people playing well is to have an XP penalty or rewarding no XP to units if you lose. That way, you can't run on, kill something, hit retreat and gain vet even if you lose the game.

You have to have a penalty in place to make anything stay the realm of good players and not the realm of game spammers.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 10:15:08 pm »

At the same time forcing a penalty will encourage game dodging as tough games will penalize you while easy games reward you for picking easy wins..

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 10:15:22 pm »

The key would be in balancing the xp for playing the game.
I would propose that the amount of your xp would be small enough that you would have to deploy that unit in 8 to 10 games just to get enough xp to gain one vet level.

It would be possible I suppose to vet your whole army by spamming 40 games a day just to vet up your army, but the guys you play against are going to get the win and vet faster because they get the extra xp for winning.

As soon as you penalize people for loosing, players will dodge like fucking crazy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc