Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:45:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIP] 6p/8p WindTown  (Read 22710 times)
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:39 am »

so i WAS right wind?
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 10:50:13 am »

Got a mapname yet?
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 10:54:11 am »

Wind, pathing issues is when your units behave in retarded manners and it is essentially painful to attempt and micro them due to various objects or impas territories on the map. It is not necessary for the unit to go batshit insane and move back and forth for an hour for it to be a pathing issue.

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 11:29:47 am »

so i WAS right wind?

No.

You claimed the Sherman got stuck and had to "back up, rotate, and go another route". You essentially made up nonsense that blatantly contradicted reality. That broadcast, and all subsequent broadcasts have clearly shown that AT MOST any unit micro around the area in question has simply gone around said area. This makes perfect sense, because THE ROAD goes around the area. The sherman in question opted to use the road, as any rational driver would, instead of driving through a cafe/wall.

The Sherman never had to back up. It simply did what a unit is supposed to do when encountering an area it is intentionally prevented from going: went around.

Also, coming from a guy whose maps are notorious for  horrendous pathing fails, I don't put too much stock in you trying to badmouth my map which has been painstakingly tested thus far.

Wind, pathing issues is when your units behave in retarded manners and it is essentially painful to attempt and micro them due to various objects or impas territories on the map. It is not necessary for the unit to go batshit insane and move back and forth for an hour for it to be a pathing issue.

Myst, there is no conflict between your understanding of what a pathing fail is and mine.  All that happened is that the test sherman went around an obstacle instead of going through it because I specifically designed that obstacle to be impassable.

Leophone originally said the sherman got "stuck" and has had to revise his statement twice to backtrack from it as I've pointed out the huge level of exaggeration he inexplicably has employed. Why he seems intent on trying to sell the notion that this map's pathing is as bad as his is beyond me, but I don't have any patience for nonsense regardless of the motivation. Not with a map I've spent this long working on.

-Wind
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:50:24 am by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »

for fucks sake wind. this is not some discussion bullshit. this is about making a playable map.

we all agree that an uncrushalbe wall, which normally is crushable is a bad idea. it doesnt matter anything how someone describes the problem. the wall wont go away by writing these big stories. put your energy in the map. please....
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 12:43:07 pm »

This is about you deciding to  make up bullshit accusations about my map, thus forcing me to have to defend it when really a rational intelligent person in your position should say to themselves "Hmm, maybe I shouldn't waste this person's time by making up nonsense that he will have to go to the trouble of disproving".

There is a difference between "I noticed there is a wall that is normally crushable, but which your sherman drove around... that might be a problem"

and

"omg I watched for 10 seconds and a sherman got STUCK"

The first one is a rational and reasonable observational concern. The second one is a completely bogus lie that causes more harm than good and completely misrepresents the map.

Stick to the first option, or stfu and stay out of my thread.

-Wind
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »

Will you both just cut it out already, no one freaking cares.
If there's any pathing issues I'm sure they can be pointed out after extensively playtesting.

For now, both of you just drop it.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »

sometimes its hard to have biased criticism on something you put a lot of effort into, and sometimes things need to be criticized in order for it to be 'fixed'.. 

either way, the map is the creators.  The design is his to design, unless there is some silly pipe in the road that blocks movement of course.. Wink

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »

Latest Screenshot:

The layout of the left side of the city has finally, after countless hours fooling around with the frustratingly limited selection of urban buildings COH has to offer, been completed.

Now it's on to the decorations, and then I plan to revamp the strategic hill in the top left of the map.

After that, the map should be ready for beta tests.

-Wind
Katusha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 10:33:17 pm »

first off, looks great, looks like a fun map

Latest Screenshot:
After that, the map should be ready for beta tests.

-Wind

what exactly do you mean by revamp? because it feels like with those sandbags on top of the hill, its a perfect mg/atg position to just deny that whole lake/road area, while the other side gets a road with no cover, from that hill you can block practically that whole top part of the map, while the team on the right side doesnt have such an opportunity, or at least i can't see it

also the city looks great for infantry only combat
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:34:53 pm by ararat1993 » Logged
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 10:46:11 pm »

Hey Ararat,

My plan for the hill on the top left is to maintain the "strategic value" of the heights, while at the same time making it a position that is a little more vulnerable.

Right now It has very few avenues of attack, which has lead me to conclude that once one side manages to get their hands on it even a smaller defense force would be able to funnel any would-be attackers into kill zones fairly easily.

I'm going to open up the hill and add a few more avenues to hit it from, without making it win-mode for 88's. This will involve breaking up a few of the trees/blockers, adding in some paths, and a few more natural shot obstructions like large boulders or groves of trees.

Also, in order to give a better feel for map layout/side balance, i've included a full screenshot of the map with the playable area showing. The spawn points for each team are in the top right, and bottom left corners respectively. This will give each team equal opportunity to reach the heights first.

Cheers dude and keep the feedback/questions/concerns coming,
-Wind

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 11:03:13 pm »

Also, for those looking at the screenshots, keep in mind the left side of the city is completely unfinished. Just the building layout has been finished up to this point, and now begins the even more grueling process of bringing it to life.

Also, some areas of the map are "palette" zones, where I have stashed objects randomly in order to have them ready later. (Example: the bottom left).

-Wind
Katusha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 11:08:06 pm »

Oh I see, so the spawn points aren't like Tanteville from example, all from 1 side? everyone comes out of the corner? so then  yes, each team will have equal opportunity to get there. The only thing is the bottom left team getting that position, and setting up an 88, or allied defenses, will have better coverage of enemy territory.

As for the top right team, if they capture the hill, those big hedgerows will prohibit them from making any effective use of the hill. I hope you know what I mean.

I guess you can do your best, and the betatests will show.

P.S. happy to comment Smiley
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 05:50:45 am »

The left city block is coming to life.

First part: The Marketplace

Second: The front of the city block (picture taken of the south facing storefronts of the city)

-Wind
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:53:21 am by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:15 am »

town is not in middle? Sad

should stamp the map and make it longer so town will be in middle Smiley
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2010, 03:39:41 pm »

town is not in middle? Sad

should stamp the map and make it longer so town will be in middle Smiley

Interesting.

I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises.

-Wind
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:57 pm »

if u cant get stamp tool to work ill do it in a minute.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2010, 04:14:19 pm »

Yeah it seems to be broken.

Any clue how to fix it?
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?241422-TOOL-Fixes-for-Stamp-Tool-and-Atmosphere-Presets-saving
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »

omg, new map it sux, make it more like tanteville or road to carentan or gtfo!

lmao j/k you should make it a 3v3/4v4 map, looks big and there's just a lot of...stuff

i wanna try it out later tho

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc