Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 05:22:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Today at 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A course in Video Gaming Development  (Read 3972 times)
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« on: September 06, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »

So I've decided to go the no-life route and I've currently set my goals on becoming a professional games developer.

My question is, does anybody know where the best possible courses for this are? I've never really taken much interest in the actual development side until recently, so I don't know where would be best to look.

Any help would be much appreciated.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:47 pm »

Honestly check where you live. Are there any big producers nearby yes/no?  Would you work for them yes/no. See where they hired from (example: sheridan college in toronto trains alot of graphic designers which get priority over other schools nearby)

Otherwise check around, look at any good colleges. Try to create a flash portfolio, maybe strike it on your own for a bit. example http://conartistgames.com/

then see if you get noticed/make enough to start your own indie group. Honestly there are a huge load of options.

WARNING: lots of junk 'guarenteed hiring' programs about from uni and colleges that will get you nowhere
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:42:23 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:44:12 pm »

Are you in the US? I hear there is a great school out in AZ, I can ask a few of my friends who went into that, though I think most of them just ended up doing free lance graphic work for the most part.

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
Solo Wing Pixy Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »

Hey, I've checked this out once upon a time myself its very . from what i gather its not as fun as you might think, you have to be fairly good at computer science,physics and maths, maybe obviously graphic design.. Also if you of artistic nature that will help a lot, but it is tough really tough. Just from my own research .

However I've a friend who studied to industrial design, got his degree, never used, went to Scotland and found a local game development company currently making for games for Ipads. He currently helps out as a level designer.

He his very artistic, albeit it slightly weird

Airborne Division
300th Paratrooper Battalion
Captain SoloWingPixy88
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:48:53 pm »

Sadly no, I'm the UK, but the gaming industry out here is still pretty big.

I've just been googling courses ranging from independent ones to full blown university courses, trying to figure out which is my best bet.
Solo Wing Pixy Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »

Sadly no, I'm the UK, but the gaming industry out here is still pretty big.

I've just been googling courses ranging from independent ones to full blown university courses, trying to figure out which is my best bet.

This is what my friend was involved in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHKYDUwRm8

its a uk thing
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »

So I've decided to go the no-life route and I've currently set my goals on becoming a professional games developer.

My question is, does anybody know where the best possible courses for this are? I've never really taken much interest in the actual development side until recently, so I don't know where would be best to look.

google

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:05:15 pm »

You should use volskinator as your human model of the average gamer.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

Schmidt, I have a double degree in IT and Electrical Engineering - I focused on Project Management and Software design.

Have a chat with me online vent sometime, but basically - Get an IT degree focused on Software development and that'll be a start.

My focus in a year or two time will be to start a software company myself, so if at that time you are still around + in training, let me know.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:41 pm »

TBH most of my friends who have gotten the good jobs have next to no formal education unfortunatly its all natural skill
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »

also it just plain helps to be in the right areas and knowing the right people. i had an absolutely amazing opportunity at Sony BMG (QA tester position that was monotonous but i was getting paid SO FUCKING GOOD) sadly they downsized our department and I got canned before I could move around in the company.
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »

can you make coh 2? kthnxbai

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:40 pm »

.......My focus in a year or two time will be to start a software company myself.....

Probably owned by some dude named tank......

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Probably owned by some dude named tank......
Well you own my soul already, its not much more of an acquisition
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc