Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 03:28:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

by Bear
[October 02, 2024, 01:14:57 pm]

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIR Maps  (Read 23038 times)
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2011, 05:44:00 pm »

Agreed as well. Although the problem with having bad pathing or clustery maps is all the off maps and artillery there is in the game as well. If you see the smoke and your tank decides to do a 360 in the process of getting out the way well thats good bye to that tank most likely and then followed by a rage quit and quotes going like "I'm never playing that map again!" its worse with infantry making these types of maps MUCH harder to make enjoyable.

since when do we listen to NOOBS if its about those things srsly

WHO is turning his fucking tank 360 degrees while theres an incoming offmap WTF

Also, bad analogy ground, My vegetables never pissed on my ego when I decided they defeated me and gave up on dessert.
Dnicee Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2011, 06:06:55 pm »

I think it might be the time to add a poll regarding this matter!

Reason will  prevail!

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »

Flanking is good, but should not be easy on every map.

It should atleast be POSSIBLE on every map, which right now isnt the case.

It's retarded that you basically have to settle for game play that is less strategy, and more of who brought what blob of currently powerful shit to run around the map with. Which is the game play Skaffa likes. Fair enough.

I disagree with the summary of my words you decide to give here and I disagree with your interpretation as to what I like. If you want to post about what I like you can quote me. You can use MY own words.

Having said that its not about who prefers which playstyle. I wont go into your playstyle of wanting to play on St. Lambert and camp, be static and have 2 mortars sitting there to bomb the enemy a long with other support weapons waiting for the enemy to come to you noobstyle. A map where you cant go around a doomfort, if you try to go to the sides to get around it you are blocked by fail pathing or a random river.

You can also argue about which has more strategy to it. Being immobile, being able to cover the entire front line map side to map side. Or have areas on the flanks you cant see, areas in the Fog of War, areas where you dont know whats going on, areas where people might be moving around your campy position to flank your static and directional support weapons. Wide maps where the movement of an enemy position might force you to move as well, to counter him or to advance to the areas he now left open. I for sure know what I believe is more strategic.

You talk about having to settle for a certain gameplay on a map such as Neuville which is wide enough so you can actually flank an enemy position and move around. In reality Neuville as I have said before enables both a mobile playstyle with flanks aswell as a campy static defensive playstyle. For example, 88's are very good on the map. You can all the time rush into and enemy postion head on if you feel like doing that, if you want that fine, go ahead, but atleast Neuville enables both playstyles.

Other maps that are not wide do not enable both playstyles, but only the campy/static/'rush&die' one. So if their are any maps that 'make you settle for a certain game style' as you say, then its all the narrow maps and especially not Neuville.

However, you should be required to build a company with a certain ability to remove a hardpoint, and hardpoints should be VIABLE in the game, instead of getting bypassed and backcapped because the map is 6 sectors wide and a 2v2.

There will always be hardpoints/defensive positions in EIR, on any map. You will always need snipers or indirect to fight a battle, I have them too. You bring up 2v2 Neuville, well you can easily make a defensive position they are perfectly viable. Just not one that covers the entire map side to side, thats the only difference between 2v2 Neuville and other maps.

Also if you want to make a good point, I advice you to atleast get your facts straight. You say Neuville 2v2 has 6 sectors in width, while it actually only has 2.

You can sit in the middle of the map and hold both sectors easily, so you can stay together with your teamm8 and easily hold the entire front line map side to map side sector wise. So if you want to be static, camp with support weapons in the buildings and have 2 mortars or 3 nebels bombing the enemy you can do that.

The sides of the map are there so you can surprise the enemy with a mass flank and counter his directional support weapons. I once played a 2v2 where I started and set up in the middle as I described. All of a sudden Cloud came out of the fog of war from the side, he had his entire army right there and I didnt realise this until he was alrdy flanking me. It was a very good move, a move I never see anyone else in this mod use. This could be as they never had the possibility to do this properly, I dont know. I do know that he did good dmg and it was good play by him, flanking like that makes the game way more interesting, it adds different levels instead. I think this is great for the mod and I see nothing wrong with this.

This is why Neuville is a terrible 2v2 map, it is only viable for companies based around mobile swarms.

Neuville in general is boring, it's not bad, but it's like eating plain bread...not fresh bread, not sourdough, not buttered. Plain. Sure, it will keep you going, but it's no fun and not interesting.

No its not a terrible map. First of all it caters to both playstyles, not just one.

Its also balanced for axis and allies. Because as axis you can camp/use support weapons and as allies you can move around and flank support weapons or defensive positions. But also axis can move around with MG42s and flank a US stronghold.

Maybe you dont like it because it allows people like me to flank your type of defensive and static points and thus counter it. You prolly rather have me not being able to do this so you dont have to worry about getting attacked from the side but feel comfortable the enemy can only be in front of you and your support weapons are waiting for them, but I can only guess.

The biggest problem is that people hate challenge, and they hate change. Guess what, your Tiger may not be able to navigate some alleys, get over it, they can't do that in real life either. Maybe a built up urban area SHOULD be a deathtrap for vehicles, you know, like it really is. That way we get some varied and interesting gameplay instead of the same old half stale loaf of white bread we currently subsist on.

The change has been that Neuville allowed flanking moves in EIR, while the years before that it wasnt or it was limited. That is whats changed and you seem to have a problem with it. Maybe its too much of a challenge for YOU to deal with this.

In my opinion interesting gameplay is being able to flank etc. (read other post for elaboration), this is why maps need to be long and wide. Not just narrow where you can only run into the enemy, now those maps do not provide variety at all.

Flanking, fine, hardpoints, fine, mix them up in the same map so that a company capable of both has an advantage, even better.

This is what you can do in Neuville, but you dont seem to realise it, dont want to realise it, or just dont want to like it.

As I said before, make whatever map you want make your forests as on St Lambert, make your shitty pathing so the Tiger gets stuck as in RL, do what you like, as long as it is wide and long enough so you allow both playstyles.

~CRUSADER against the infidels~
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:56:39 pm by skaffa » Logged

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2011, 06:56:14 pm »

Neuville is actually extremely support biased in favor of Axis, which is also a better mobile army as well. You have wide open lanes for the 88, as well as enough room to flank any Allied defense with a swarm of grens.

In 2v2 especially you can only win by running a blob around and back capping. Which is just boring. If I want to play a game based on a blob running around I can play DoW2 or SC.

Also, the map has MASSIVE pathing issues near the church, to the point that if you are unlucky enough that your tank ends up there it will most likely just spin in circles for ages. (between Church and graveyard towards the "top" spawns).

It's like playing Tanteville with the town moved to the middle.

Sometimes I like St Lambert (so much fun if you are in the mood to watch things die) and sometimes I'm in the mood for open maps and armor movement.

What I am not in the mood for is the same boring map over and over again. It's like the perfect example of a generic map. I never said it's a bad map, and from your own words you require and like maps that are wide enough that you can circumvent defenses instead of having to overcome them.

Basically, you have made the mapping equivalent of a reality TV show. It's hugely popular, successful, and not stimulating at all. There is no new tactical challenge to overcome other than the standard 88 spam or blob of infantry spam.

BTW, you can flank all over on St Lamber, you just have your team distract the enemy by attacking somewhere else instead of "lololol you can't possibly cover this amount of area" Tanteville and Neuville.

tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

Snip.......The biggest problem is that people hate challenge, and they hate change. Guess what, your Tiger may not be able to navigate some alleys, get over it, they can't do that in real life either. Maybe a built up urban area SHOULD be a deathtrap for vehicles, you know, like it really is. That way we get some varied and interesting gameplay instead of the same old half stale loaf of white bread we currently subsist on.

Flanking, fine, hardpoints, fine, mix them up in the same map so that a company capable of both has an advantage, even better.

I agree with some of your points, but the real question is: How do we get people to play the other maps?
We can ad incentives, but when the incentives stop, so does the map.
We can create king of the hill play modes etc, but that will be years from now at the rate we are progressing...
We can put in all maps and have all the choices in the world, but players are still going to drop in CoH if they don't want to play the chosen map.

So how to we force or convince people to play other maps?

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
BigDick
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »

neuville and forrest are great maps no doubt

in 2v2 i prefer neuville and in 3v3 forrest

some people just complain as skaffa said cos they like their defense camp positions
many can't handle more than 1-2 units at a time .... rotate an AT gun - ok - reposition an mg ok but they can't continuously move multiple units around and switch positions

and many people play very slow so they will get roflpwnd by territory and outcapping when flanking is possible

thats probably the main reasons why they prefer campy slow maps
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »

Anyway, if anything this thread shows that what constitutes a good map is really subjective, within certain 'boundaries'. People don't seem to like extremes, and have a certain bias towards the more open, easier-manageable maps. (Which isn't to say they need a lot of flanking space like skaffa likes to claim)

I think there's also enough proof that even urban maps (Carentan) and dense forest maps (the old Ardenne Valley) can work out and be liked by a mass audience, but it takes a certain community-commitment and a fair amount of map balancing to get them there. I.e Urban maps still need to allow for easy pathing and manageable tank micro (at least in some major 'lanes').

some people just complain as skaffa said cos they like their defense camp positions
many can't handle more than 1-2 units at a time .... rotate an AT gun - ok - reposition an mg ok but they can't continuously move multiple units around and switch positions

and many people play very slow so they will get roflpwnd by territory and outcapping when flanking is possible
It doesn't necessarily take more skill to micro on open maps and pull off flanks. You can still flank with a big blob of rangers or grenadiers, or light vehicles, or lock down large areas with ATG spam, etc. Smaller, campier maps aren't necessarily easier to manage either, it can require a well-coordinated and microed assault to break a position and blobbing is often A LOT less desirable. (With cover also being more important)

In the end, what can turn an 'okay' map into a succesful map on the charts is community commitment, if only a few active players would pick up a 'newer' map and insist on playing it rather than on 'same old' 'same old', maps would more quickly rotate. It's what skaffa did to get forest and neuville 'launched' and it's the exact same (originally) innovative behaviour by skaffa (among the usual crowd of 'we play only what's hot) that is now preventing other maps from getting launched on those charts.

IF you guys are really serious about wanting bigger map variety, how about you start by looking at yourself and stop playing Neuville, Tanteville and France or Nuenen for the 5571212th time. There's only little WE as a development team can do about it if the players themselves don't pick up the map variety we throw at them. All it takes is community action, something that shouldn't be so hard to achieve in a small community like ours. (We're not fighting global warming here, there's really no excuse in terms of 'problem scale')
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:39:05 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2011, 07:39:42 pm »

I really want to lock this now, since my last post was so epic.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2011, 07:47:04 pm »

Quote from: Wildzontar
wat?
Dnicee Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

I dont doubt that your post was awesome unknown, but its waaay to long for my taste. Sorry

I'm just gonna go ahead and be awesome.

How about when the warmap is out and you have to fight to take over/defend a city, you actually fight in a city?

And when you fight on the open battlefield you actually fight on an open battlefield, with maybe a small village etc.

Catch my drift?
IJustDontCare Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2011, 08:05:57 pm »

yeah since this has turned into everyone ignoring the opening post to this thread and spewing bullshit you might as well.

I think everyone should read the first post again.

Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:54 pm »

I mean, you really just took my post and made it palatable for the general public, right?

I like how this forum in turn brings out the worst in anyone
To err is human, to eirr is retard
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

Unknown add my map back into the launcher. I've got a new version all ready to go.

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2011, 02:02:35 am »

neuville and forrest are great maps no doubt

in 2v2 i prefer neuville and in 3v3 forrest

thats probably the main reasons why they prefer campy slow maps

+1
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2011, 05:07:53 am »

I mean, you really just took my post and made it palatable for the general public, right?

Kind of  Cheesy
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2011, 05:08:35 am »

Unknown add my map back into the launcher. I've got a new version all ready to go.

Ok, let me see if I still have all the programs and stuff.
Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2011, 01:13:16 pm »

Kind of  Cheesy

<3
Valexandes Offline
Donator

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »

You should add my map in as well. It's called countryside

the nashorn is like a kid with a giant penis, it has no idea how to use it or where to point it most of the time but it could still fuck you

Your mom, and your grandma wont know....
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2011, 09:08:17 am »

There aren't many good 3v3 maps. Neuville, Tanteville and Forest are really good (balanced) maps but as AMPM noted, playing the same ole maps over and over again isn't very exciting.

Bastion and Falaise would be good maps if only the pathing was fixed.
Pointe du Hoc would be a good map if only the emplacements were removed.
Keepsville would be a good map if only the sides were cleared up a bit (the hill on the right that's just in the way is a good example).

And then we have Chateau and Vire Valley which are pretty good but they have vast open areas with little flanking opportunities or alternatives, so they're not great maps, put up one 88 and it covers 80% of the map.

Abbeville and Monte Cassino are fun, we should play them more often.

So more maps would be nice, but I think if some of the maps were improved a little it would improve their playability a lot. I don't know if you have seen the changes Relic has made to vCOH maps but they fixed all the minor balance and gameplay problems so now they're a lot better. Somthing like that should be made to EIR maps too.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc