Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 12:22:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[October 14, 2024, 02:38:41 pm]

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WM] Ostwind Armor buff  (Read 12334 times)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:19:15 pm »

why is tym still allowed to post on the forum?..... Embarrassed

because you still can.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Dnicee Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:53 pm »

youre an ass tank, there is no logic in tyms posts regarding any units.

No offense.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 06:25:35 pm »

2 of my 3 wehr companies uses ostwinds, my best wehr company before the wipe used ostwinds as my only vehicle.

and somehow i have no idea what im talking about.

i dont think they need an armor buff, a health buff sure, but armor? no.

skirts, yes.

Bottom t3 bltiz sight range applies to them yes

otherwise, its a fine unit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:27:29 pm by Tymathee » Logged

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »

I vote HP buff if anything. No armor buff imo.

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 08:37:44 pm »

One of the biggest issues with the Ostwind is not in the unit itself but how most people use it and perceive it.

Most people see a PIV chassis and expect it to be as durable as a PIV, they expect it to have survivability. The reality is that the Ostwind is a fragile platform and should be treated as such. Directly engaging enemy AT assets is a no-go. You either out-range (Handheld AT), flank (ATG's) or avoid (Tanks/too many AT assets). Going up front with anything holding AT will result in a very fast loss of 175 fuel.

Quite frankly, the operating procedure for Ostwinds is on par with LV's. A deft hand and harassment/support tactics are the way to go. It hits hard in burst-style DPS while retaining fair mobility.

Try using it like you would a Quad. Keep your enemy at arms length until the AT assets are disposed of or appropriately flanked - THEN roll in close and show them how evil it's short range DPS is. If you can't keep them at arms length due to long range AT assets, then use it as fall-back support for your main line force. If any infantry make a break for your pak with an Ostwind behind it, they will be in for a nasty shock.

The bottom line is that it looks like a tank, it sounds like a tank, but it aint a tank. It's the biggest LV you'll ever put your hands on.

BTW, the application of PIV armour (Skirted most likely, to avoid getting ass rammed by handheld due to the low health) would essentially turn the Ostwind from a pretty nifty support unit into a less impressive IST. The PIV and the Panther are the breakthrough units for AI and AT respectively... Changing up the Ostwind would just overlap currently existing roles.

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
iwik Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 08:43:10 pm »

Ostwinds work best when combined with a suppression platform due to their habit of sucking against infantry in cover.

If you catch any infantry in the open (IE, using a suppression platform with you to keep them there) then you'll tear them to pieces in short order.

Alternatively, you use it as a Sniper on treads. Pick your targets away bit by bit at max range and don't focus on trying to kill entire squads in one go. Fire one max range burst of rounds, back away. Rinse and repeat over duration whilst keeping their ATG's under control and it'll do pretty well.

Either way, using it like an IST or any standard tank leads to a fast death and most people's view of it being fragile.

+1 - Use Ostwind like a slower heavy duty M8 / Upgun Puma. That's all it is. Really.

im confused, why do people try to defend it?

Its not good enough, we all know it.

I also like to see you defend it once ab is back...

If you think Ostwind is bad you haven't seen the wirble wind...
Katusha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:30 pm »

Maybe it should be 8 pop? Seems justifiable for what it's capabilities are
terrapinsrock Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 10:40:52 pm »

+1

Bit hard when its flaunted infront of you as a  broken reward piece of ass you'll never get to shag with.
Current Vets:

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

+1 - Use Ostwind like a slower heavy duty M8 / Upgun Puma. That's all it is. Really.

Wirble just doesn't seem to fit PE very well.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 11:28:01 pm »

Sadly, it's worse than an M8. Slower, no dodge, no suppression, higher pop and cost, no utility. 2 Ostwinds won't even touch a Sherman, 2 M8's can deal significant damage to a P4/STuG/etc.

It's just crap compared to medium armor or light vehicles.

NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »

When I first started the thread I had no access to corsix so now I'll check a thing or two. Some people had provided interesting posts, some however did fall for

Who uses a ostwind? I'm sure a person or two might use it and one comes and claims that it is a very good vehicle and in the borderline OP.

I'm sure I don't have to name people who fell under this cathegory they know it themselves.

Anyway back to the point.

Ostwind

Price

Manpower: 400
Mun:0 (30 repair)
Fuel: 175

Pool: 9
Pop: 10

Now since people had mentioned that it is nothing but a big slow and fat LV let's first see its durability and ability to fight LVs.

Greyhound recieves 1.11 more accuracy at it and comes with a 0.7002 penetration multiplier versus Ostwind armor.

Long: 0.46
Medium: 0.58
Short: 0.7002

Ostwind vs Greyhound

Ostwind's Accuracy multiplier 0.9. Damage Multiplier 0.5. Penetration multiplier 0.7907.

Accuracy vs Greyhound
Long: 0.315
Medium: 0.675
Short: 0.81

Penetration vs Greyhound
Long: 0.623
Medium: 0.743
Short: 0.7907

Each shot to greyhound deals 20 damage.

Purely based on this I can honestly say: Who ever claims in the future that "My ostwind raped all greyhounds" must've been drunk or otherwise high.

However I don't want to grow stuck on trying to figure out its overall performance against light vehicles, this one was just thrown there as a example, what we really really want to know is how does Ostwind perform and withstand bazookas, right?

Ostwind vs Ranger Squad

Accuracy vs Ranger Squad Accuracy Multiplier 0.75

Long:0.26
Medium:0.56
Short: 0.675

Ostwind needs 2 hits to kill one member from the squad. (Ostwind Damage 40, Ranger health 65)

Durability vs Bazooka
Accuracy vs Ostwind. Accuracy multiplier 1.11.
Long: 0.3885
Medium: 0.666
Short: 1.11

Bazooka penetration and damage. 0.7488 pen multiplier.

Long: 0.7488
Medium: 0.7488
Short: 0.7488
Damage: 75

So in short, rangers are quite capable of dishing damage right back at the ostwind. The penetration is not guarantee but it does happen more than 50% time. I don't have to explain what happens when you add tank reapers to this set. It only grows better.

Now that was the basic counter match versus a elite infantry, versus riflemen and tommies it is a different section.

Airborne (accuracy)

Infantry armor (Accuracy)

2 hits to kill a man from the squad.

Soldier Armor (Accuracy, 0.9 damage modifier)

Damage dealt 36.

In summary, it looks like a decent weapon but its accuracy is awful but thankgod it doesn't have any differences versus what it is shooting, they are all in the same cathegory as far as accuracy goes. As for damage tommies can enjoy a higher survivability, minor, but still higher. Let's just say that Ostwind could use some form of love. For price of 175 you'd expect far more than this because for 25 fuel more you get a bit more durable vehicle known as P4.

OP also edited to contain this information

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 12:43:21 am »

The bottom line is that it looks like a tank, it sounds like a tank, but it aint a tank.

should put this then,people will be more careful with it.

about wirble and PE. It's not terrible if you wanna defend something static against ai rushes,like pak's and 88's. But guess what,PE doesn't have them(okay,it has 88 in luft,but that's already 5 points compared to defensive who for same combo will spend 2....not rly worth it). But since as dev's and everyone says that PE has mobile style of play,they don't want to add them static units like mg's and pak's...point of wirble is rly debatable,almost useless. If you take IST it will be more survivable,and will kill inf much better than wirble + you save yourself 2 points.
 It's too slow,and it's survivability isnt that great. If you wanna flank stuff,just take armored cars, if you want something for  'breakthrough' take IST. Wirble fails in both roles compared to other units. And units like zook rangers will still kill it quite fast. Armored cars can atleast escape them,while IST has better survivability+when in lock down will put serious hurt to those rangers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:53:25 am by smurfORnot » Logged
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 04:21:02 am »

If your going to be quoting a wall of statistics Speedy, don't be selective.

You also have to take into account area of effect, burst time, cooldown and criticals.

It might only do 40 damage, but it's spitting these rounds out at a rate of 1 round every second, in 3 round bursts with only 0.5 cooldown between bursts. It can pour out 5 bursts before it has to reload making an effective 15 seconds of continuous fire. Combine this with 0.5/1/2 area of effect distance at 1/0.75/0.6 damage and you'll kill a Rifleman squad out of cover within 6 rounds assuming standard grouping.

Now, take into account criticals meaning unless it has heroic crits (And only CW Officers have these in the Allies) then there's a 5% chance to kill the infantry from full health and 15% in yellow health.

Finally, it only does 20 damage per round against Greyhounds, but in 7 seconds it can deal 140 damage to a Greyhound, whereas the Greyhound will have done a maximum of 100. If the Greyhound sticks around to engage you, it WILL get turned into scrap.
Dnicee Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 04:27:29 am »

I didnt realise that M8 was 10 pop and 175 fuel.
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 04:40:16 am »

oh,silly Dnicee  Cheesy
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 06:11:10 am »

ostwind still needs doctrine <3
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 09:20:27 am »

I didnt realise that M8 was 10 pop and 175 fuel.

I didn't realise that the M8 was capable of destroying buildings efficiently, destroying LV's and below quickly, has the potential to kill elite infantry in one round, can engage aircraft, can wreck the cover of any infantry that isn't in a building or by a player built piece of cover, and can effectively engage garrisoned infantry (Besides trenches) in a short time-span.

But then again, for what the M8 CAN do, it should get a price hike to 100 fuel tbh.

Face it, unless the Ostwind gets a major redesign then it'll be a support/utility piece. It has a fairly unique role in how many things it can do for a WM unit, but it tends to get overshadowed as people want the most cost-efficiency and always will.

If people think the Ostwind is under-performing then there are two ways of going about it. The first, is be more conservative with it. The second, is to give it's fuel a decrease. It's the cheapest turreted "Tank" yet it's essentially a big LV.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 12:22:58 pm »

^ wtf? epic bot posting replies now
Tachibana Offline
NotADev

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »

You do know that there are adjectives other than"epic", right?

It's like saying "i can understand his concerns that fire breathing dragons live in far away lands"
americans dont dodge wars.
Quote from: Trapfabricator
Literally, The only thing less likely than this is zombie hitler becoming prime minister of israel
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »

You do know that there are adjectives other than"epic", right?

of course but why use them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc