Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:34:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: come lets tank up  (Read 19674 times)
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42:13 pm »

Warthunder is fun but not suited to competitive play because of it's mechanics.

Im sure the Nazis said the same thing. Fuck realism.

WW2 best competition ever.

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 07:00:14 pm »

I hate those "competitive" mechanics, why the hell should a light tank that has a perfectly good gun basically be forced to play scout? What should happen in tank combat, anything with a good gun flanks a weakly armored side of a larger tank? It should be in trouble. What happens in WoT? Ouch, lost 10% health or so, now it can turn and bash your skull in.

That's without even getting to the downright idiotic "appear out of nowhere" and "Magic bushes" spotting system. Fine, it's competitive but it's NOT a tank combat game in any shape or form. I could see some merits to the game as a simpler action game but NOT as a tank combat game.

Also, scout matchmaking is the worst thing since... I dunno, but it sucks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:02:10 pm by nikomas » Logged

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »

I hate those "competitive" mechanics, why the hell should a light tank that has a perfectly good gun basically be forced to play scout? What should happen in tank combat, anything with a good gun flanks a weakly armored side of a larger tank? It should be in trouble. What happens in WoT? Ouch, lost 10% health or so, now it can turn and bash your skull in.

That's without even getting to the downright idiotic "appear out of nowhere" and "Magic bushes" spotting system. Fine, it's competitive but it's NOT a tank combat game in any shape or form. I could see some merits to the game as a simpler action game but NOT as a tank combat game.

Yeh but in this every tank serves a role, and some multiple roles.
Granted the whole upgun/pen mechanic is crazy flawed for the sake of competition. But atleast they dont have arty offmaps on lights and meds

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »

Im sure the Nazis said the same thing. Fuck realism.

WW2 best competition ever.

But Warthunder isn't realistic either, tanks drive like rally cars in all modes...I drift my STuG through turns that should throw a track. I can repair my gun over and over (apparently carry endless extra barrels...) and every light and medium can call in an artillery bombardment. Not to mention that the STuG A and the short barrel tanks like it can't fire more than 200m....

nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »

Nother thing, WoT's RNG accuarcy system is bullshit to, arbritrary numbers to calculate if you hit or not, ugh...

Ho boy...
But Warthunder isn't realistic either, tanks drive like rally cars in all modes...
I'm going to assume you base this on footage from several months ago, while you can throw the very fastest tanks into a very short slide, the vast majority of tanks can't do this in RB/SB, AB doesn't mater because arcade is arcade. I don't know about the stug specifically but from the sounds of it you're laying arcade, I know for a fact that my T34 and sherman couldn't do that in RB or SB today.

I can repair my gun over and over (apparently carry endless extra barrels...)
Repairing heavy damage gets progressivly harder and the timer can run into several minutes, you can hardly just spam the repair button over and over, and knocked out crew doesn't exactly recover either, it's way rougher than WoT ever was on that front but it's a neccacery step.

The main point of realism most people want in a tank combat game is the weapon, vehicle and damage models. WoT flat out doesn't bother with ballistics beyond penetration and the damage model is quite laughable by comparison. In this case WT is by far more "realistic" than WoT.

and every light and medium can call in an artillery bombardment.
A rather weak one and a good tool to make campers move, something you complained about earlier.

But below is why I think your complaints aren't based on any serious facts, because...
Not to mention that the STuG A and the short barrel tanks like it can't fire more than 200m....
Shell drop and compensating for muzzle velocity, it is tank combat 101. I can hit with lower velocity guns up to a KM out because I've practiced doing so, it's not easy, it SHOULD NOT BE EASY. That is also why the panther 75mm was so much better than the Ruskie 85mm in real life as tt flew straight as an arrow by comparison, dramatically increasing accuracy. It actually takes skill to hit people from a distance, more so with slower, larger guns. WoT players will have to unlearn the automatic trajectory from WoT.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:32:53 pm by nikomas » Logged
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:46 pm »

Yeh ill admit shell drop in WOT is near non existent.

Unless your using a british tank howitzer.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 08:35:55 pm »

Yeh ill admit shell drop in WOT is near non existent.

Unless your using a british tank howitzer.
Doesn't matter if it exists or not, I know it technically "Exists". It's entirely irrelevant because it does the adjustments for you, no matter the distance all you have to do is click the target and the shell will land there (if the random numbers like you), no skill involved in judging the distance.

The KV-2 is the best example, while it can 1hit kill a lot of tanks in WT it's balanced out by it's very low muzzle velocity, hitting with the KV2 at long range (in RB/SB) is VERY difficult because you have to fire it in an arc like an artillery shell. The slow reload on top of this makes a lot of long range shots hail marys if the enemy tanker moves between then.

A very good player can estimate the range well enough to stand an okay chance to hit, not great but okay and that's the point, player skill, not RNG.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:37:41 pm by nikomas » Logged
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 08:55:57 pm »

I play  realism and simulator only, mostly sim.  Tasks can still powerslide.

The damage model is realistic in some ways,  but silly in others. Fire in a damaged fuel tank,  use extinguisher,  keep driving.  Nevermind the 3"  hole in your fuel tanks.  In WoT  your crew determines accuracy, in this it still does though a STuG A 75mm L24 fires with a muzzle velocity of about 385m/s. Well more than enough to only have to aim slightly above the target at 200m...hell, at 500m  you wouldn't need to fire in a high arc either.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 02:52:56 am »

I've played 267 matches with the KV-2 in WoT.  I can tell you that even in WoT, hitting anything not moving in a KV-2 at anything other than less than ~100 meters is a prayer, and even if you do hit, unless you are extremely fortunate, you are not gonna penetrate.  So while you CAN one-shot things hilariously in that tank, you can also miss completely at range, or if you do hit, you likely either don't penetrate, or do minimal damage b/c you fired HE.  Also, if you think there is no player skill in WoT involved, I have news for you.  There's a reason some players win over 60% of their matches and others only win 40%, and it has nothing to do with the RNG just deciding which players it likes on certain days...

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
terrapinsrock Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 11:14:11 am »

I've played 267 matches with the KV-2 in WoT.  I can tell you that even in WoT, hitting anything not moving in a KV-2 at anything other than less than ~100 meters is a prayer, and even if you do hit, unless you are extremely fortunate, you are not gonna penetrate.  So while you CAN one-shot things hilariously in that tank, you can also miss completely at range, or if you do hit, you likely either don't penetrate, or do minimal damage b/c you fired HE.  Also, if you think there is no player skill in WoT involved, I have news for you.  There's a reason some players win over 60% of their matches and others only win 40%, and it has nothing to do with the RNG just deciding which players it likes on certain days...

+1

As another almost 300 game KV-2 driver, you give a prayer to RNGesus every time you shoot.

There is still a lot player skill in WoT, its just displayed in techniques such as angling, map awareness, target leading, etc.

Bit hard when its flaunted infront of you as a  broken reward piece of ass you'll never get to shag with.
Current Vets:

Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »

But below is why I think your complaints aren't based on any serious facts, because...Shell drop and compensating for muzzle velocity, it is tank combat 101. I can hit with lower velocity guns up to a KM out because I've practiced doing so, it's not easy, it SHOULD NOT BE EASY. That is also why the panther 75mm was so much better than the Ruskie 85mm in real life as tt flew straight as an arrow by comparison, dramatically increasing accuracy. It actually takes skill to hit people from a distance, more so with slower, larger guns. WoT players will have to unlearn the automatic trajectory from WoT.

Actually it is easy. Very easy.

Thats why the mil system is there. Understanding the way it works is how you hit tanks effectively and regularly.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2014, 04:27:12 pm »

Not to mention the penetration values for weapons fluctuate +25% a d -25%.
It's all about the RNG.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 04:41:26 pm »

learning the spotting mechanics in WoT is not that difficult.  You refusing to do so does not make it a bad system or a magical one.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 05:17:13 pm »

learning the spotting mechanics in WoT is not that difficult.  You refusing to do so does not make it a bad system or a magical one.
I'm not saying it's hard to learn, I'm saying it's stupid. Most games don't have an arbritrary "Things pop up out of nowhere at this distance" mechanic because it'd be retarded, and I still think it is.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 06:01:24 pm »

I'm not saying it's hard to learn, I'm saying it's stupid. Most games don't have an arbritrary "Things pop up out of nowhere at this distance" mechanic because it'd be retarded, and I still think it is.
Just remove your hud ingame. so u can shoot with no reticle or map or anything and enjoy.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »

They do that in WT too...if you don't have sight and you look over a rock using a camera, it won't show you anything, same goes for anything behind a ridge, etc. What it lacks ENTIRELY is using camo, bushes, trees, to hide yourself.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »

WoT is more fun to watch than WT.
you wont  be saying that when WT has all three theatre's in a single game.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 08:43:00 pm »

They do that in WT too...if you don't have sight and you look over a rock using a camera, it won't show you anything, same goes for anything behind a ridge, etc.
Entierly different, in that case you no line of sight, who should you see them? You can see people from several kilometeres away (entire maps) if you have direct line of sight, in WoT however you can't see someone on flat, open ground because they're "To far away".

Entierly different things.

http://What it lacks ENTIRELY is using camo, bushes, trees, to hide yourself.
This clearly shows you haven't played much of ground forces or simulator mode because you know...

In WoT the tank is hidden from view if the game decides that you can't see it, even if you realistically should be able to see it.
In WT you cannot see a tank because there is something in the way, obscuring your sight. If the tank is totally hidden it's because daym, it's hidden from YOUR view, not the games view.

How is that complicated?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:47:42 pm by nikomas » Logged
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »

Entierly different, in that case you no line of sight, who should you see them? You can see people from several kilometeres away (entire maps) if you have direct line of sight, in WoT however you can't see someone on flat, open ground because they're "To far away".

Entierly different things.

This clearly shows you haven't played simulator, because you know... IT HAS NO ENEMY MARKERS. If you hide behind a bush, the enemy CANNOT SEE YOU.

How is that complicated?

Or, you know, you just turn off the flora so you can see everyone...like everyone else does in simulator...
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »

Or, you know, you just turn off the flora so you can see everyone...like everyone else does in simulator...
You want to talk about the number of bugs and exploits you could use when WoT was in the early stages? I'd be happy to, I was playing it from the start of the closed beta. It's almost like you're trying to avoid talking about fundemental design stuff what with only responding to the points you can answer with "Well yeah, but it has glitches" or "WoT does that to, WT doesn't do this" when you really haven't looked that point up further than some forum (what it seems like anyway).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:58:48 pm by nikomas » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc