Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:18:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6p Town Outskirts  (Read 12434 times)
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:08 am »

Links

6p Version
Download: http://www.gamefront.com/files/24279281/6p_town_outskirts.rar
Alternative D/L: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=55562400615921797410

Thoughts on the map design so far?

*Outdated*

http://i60.tinypic.com/33219vr.png

My map is completed. Here is what it looks like from birds eye view and the potential sectors.

I would like to have this map play tested if possible? This map is entirely built from scratch so there is will not be issues from stamping.

My current thoughts are that the 2 groves in the middle of the map near the fields across from the river ditch may potentially break up game play too much. The sectors may also be too much standing at 24 sectors. Currently it is stated to be designed for a 2v2 but if it is too large it can be easily adjusted for 3v3. Playable map Length and Width is 360 I think.

Birds Eye - Updated 12/6/2014

Sectoring - Updated 12/6/2014

Old Birds Eye

http://i57.tinypic.com/qpnddt.png

Old Sectors
http://i62.tinypic.com/x38hsi.png
http://i61.tinypic.com/2evgneb.png
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:15:15 am by GelezinisVilkas » Logged
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:28 am »

where  you stole this map?

looks good

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:45 am »

EDIT
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:23:12 pm by GelezinisVilkas » Logged
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:55 am »

looking good
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:33:02 am »

** Disclaimer: I may be wrong.

I think in attack/Defend mod you can get within 2 sectors of the opposing side spawn. If that is the case, then the right side could set up along the bridges and lock you down. Granted, there is no water so the river bed is passable, but there is no cover to get out of there.

It also appears kind of lopsided. What I mean is, what are you fighting over? There is a little town way in the corner, but the rest is all just fields. That makes for incredible flanking opportunities, but there just doesn't seem to be any main battle point.

Most enjoyable maps have a main area of battle, with smaller areas scattered around. I am sorry if I am coming across as negative, I am just trying to help if I can.

Perhaps another little cluster of buildings to the North, on the South side of the "Y" in the road would help things?

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 08:25:37 am »

I thought the artillery effect in attack/defence is a function of a set distance from the spawn and not sectoring?

In a 3v3 setting I think they would get locked down entirely but in a 2v2 situation you can go around either extreme side.

Yes I've designed this map to be realistic and to look more like the outskirts of a farming town. The way buildings, fields and hedges are set up in such a way that controlling the centre most field is a strategic position. However the small urbanised church area is available for people to fall back to when under attacked or for setting up artillery and such there.

The main battle point will naturally be the open field in the middle with opportunities on either side.

I originally intended to put some buildings at where the Y junction is splitting off from the main road in the pine forest area but I thought I should leave it as an open area. This map is set out that people could have a choice of where they wanted to fight over and if their main force is ignored, if played properly, could have a strong flanking opportunity.

Both spawns are designed to have 5 sectors within easy reach of the starting point and to be defensible.

I'm trying to design a map that allows for many play styles if units were deployed and used well (and realistic looking)

EDIT: I will think about what you say and add that to a list of considerations for further edits to the map. Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate that.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 08:49:09 am »

Ensure all spawns have equal access to a road, and add more detail and objects to to town, would be my advice.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:57:41 am »

All spawns starts on road. The part of town which is not detailed is actually the unplayable area. I've decided not to populate it for now unless the map is fully accepted (it's a lot of work for scenery that won't be played...)

In the hedges on the bottom side of town and beside the field in the middle, I've actually made small openings that only infantry can go through.

I've redone the sectors so that if either side is held up at only their expected starting sectors (This map was designed so either side can easily hold on to 5 sectors, they would be at 5 v 10 (total of 15 sectors) which means they will not be too heavily punished if held at the river point as you've mentioned Tank.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:23 am »

I meant the part that is in the playable area, it just looks kind of, empty? I don't know how to describe it, it kind of looks like buildings on concrete, a little unnatural?
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:58 am »

The part of town which is not detailed is actually the unplayable area. I've decided not to populate it for now unless the map is fully accepted (it's a lot of work for scenery that won't be played...)

There is part of the town that is unplayable? I don't get that. Why would you want to do that?

I totally understand not putting in all the detail. It is all that detail that takes the most amount of work and is pointless until you know the map works. Once it has been play tested then you can make it pretty.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 10:13:34 am »

He means the part of the town that is outside of the map?

I'm not entierly clear on the rules for new maps so I'll defeer to someone who does but if it's been properly tested/works I'll throw it in the rotation for next week, seems like the apt thing to do with new maps for now?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:16:19 am by nikomas » Logged

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 04:52:16 pm »

I meant the part that is in the playable area, it just looks kind of, empty? I don't know how to describe it, it kind of looks like buildings on concrete, a little unnatural?
buildings on concrete unnatural ?
Dem foundations bro.

Looks good tho farm side needs garrisons and shot blockers

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »

The city part that is playable inside the map is left slightly empty for the moment mainly because I do not want to over cluster it which will make early movement difficult. I notice most EiRR maps actually have rather bare starting areas which allows for ease of troop movement.

@XIIcorps - There are shotblockers on the farm side with hedges and a few buildings placed here and there. Certain long stretches are left deliberately to make it difficult for the opposing side to take the position to hopefully create a parity in territory.  Right now if you look at the sectoring, we can assume the the 5 sectors making up the start will automatically be taken and the remaining 10 sectors to be contested in the middle will run over the: forested area; middle field; church/small urban area with majority of the fighting I expect to be along the middle field and small urban area with the forested side used for big flanks or fast armour attacks.

I will add splats and debris as I go along in a manner that is hopefully realistic.

Right now I'll compile a list of items to be changed and people can add their feedback and I will try to implement them as we go along.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 07:09:10 am »

Sector 1 example is how most eirr maps feel like to me, and they will make any defend/attack scenario more sensitive to capping.

Sector 2 example will help mitigate the problem of games ending very early because of cap.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 07:09:46 am »

Sectoring 2

(Xenoiz/Headshotkiller I have optimized these for web so the file sizes should be very small)
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 07:55:41 am »

@Smokaz - Actually depending on how your map is sectored, the 2nd sectoring method actually punishes people more. If you hold say 30% or 40% of map area, you will hold less than 20% of all sectors. The idea is actually to have many sectors near the spawns but few sectors at the middle to reduce the punishment players get. This means that if you hold 70% of map area, you may only have 60% of sectors while holding 30% of map area could give you 40% of sectors.

I managed to get one play test in, thanks to Smokaz, grgarun7 and Quasar666. There is no pathing issues, combat was smooth but I think there was too little people in the battlefield. I have decided to include a 3v3 version because it felt like we needed another player to fill up the game.

EDIT: We lost the initial assault on the small urban town due to strongly entrenched positions. We turn around and flanked their positions by heading up the highway on the left side of the map, swinging around to the middle fields, taking them by surprise nullifying their pak and mg. We proceeded to secure middle field and held map control.

Infantry are good in this map because they have strong staying power but they take ages to move from one point to another. Vehicles trump infantry in mobility but have difficulty in dislodging entrenched positions. There is however many flanking opportunities.

Mortar was used to good effect, so was a howitzer. They were shut down by a good rapid rear strike but is otherwise safe if a few units was used to guard it.

In the 6p version I have made the church to be garrison-able after feedback from Smokaz.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:59:22 am by GelezinisVilkas » Logged
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 08:09:02 am »

Maybe the meaning is not getting across? But its harder to HOLD a large sector close to enemy spawn, since they will be deploying close to it, and they can also *hold units in that sector to stop it from being capped*

Sure they can cap it , but the problem is usually canceling the capping when the timer starts (responding)
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 08:12:36 am »

Yes I understand that point. That is a double edge sword to be honest. A large sector near your spawn both works for and against you. I have done my best to draw sector-ing and arrange terrain in such a way that it benefits your side nearer to the spawn and that buildings offer significantly lesser advantage when used by the "non-intended side" by the way cover is arranged and blockers (hedges) for ease of mortaring.

I think the fact is, the middle of the map, the 3 fields with the tower in the middle is the most strategic location because it cuts the map in half and provides avenues of movement. I think that in a 3v3, people will hold the middle field and the church area. The counter will be to use artillery to shell them out from the city or to lead a large strong flank up the highway which entrenched troops in the church will take too long to respond.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 08:16:14 am »

So you're saying that holding MID-TOP is better than MID-BOT on your map?
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 08:31:09 am »

If I take your reference of the sectoring view for MID-TOP and MID-BOT on my map... I would say. MID-BOT (Town Side) has the best defensible position that they can easily attack from whereas MID-TOP (Farm Side) has the greatest mobility and are situated closer to the middle of the map while being slightly weaker when pressured.

If we were to describe the 3 general areas as Forest/Highway, Fields and Church... I think it would be to your advantage to hold Fields FIRST then Church area. The Forest exists as an auxiliary objective that can turn the tide by providing a separate route and sector cap against a fortified church area.

However, with good play, all positions can be assaulted. For instance instead of attacking via the highway during our game, I could attack via the front of the church by crossing the bridge and heading into the field so I can avoid the buildings. Quasar can drop into the fields beside or behind you and flank the mortars and support weapons.

That being said, a swift movement by your PE vehicles to the right targets will end such an attack quickly while simultaneously running an evil backcap on the highway.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc