Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:26:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why 2.0 fails  (Read 14339 times)
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« on: May 20, 2008, 12:18:07 pm »

Because the developers bit off more than they can chew. They try too put way too much in one single package.

- new factions
- new veterancy system
- new deployment system
- new platoon purchasing system
- new single resource system
- new rating system
- new website

Implementing some of these points at all, is debatable at best. Trying to put so much stuff into one release and the huge amount of work associated with it, has lead to two things, from which Europe in Ruins suffers a lot right now.

- Zero updates on the current version
- Endless waiting time

Both points have lead to a loss of many players. Dont look at this as bitching. I'm trying to do some constructive criticism. There is only 2 things EiR really needs: Panzer Elite and British. Just implementing the new factions would already be such a big addition to EiR.

I strongly suggest, especially with fldash being less active now, to put all the above mentioned, unnecessary features on the waiting list and just implement the new factions into the current system. After that, new additions should be integrated one by one where possible, to keep the community playing, with steady updates from time to time. Not nothing for ages and then one big release with many new untested features. This way new additions can also be tested way better.

Ten months after the OF release the new factions are still not included. This great mod has lost its momentum and is slowly decaying right now. I fear that when 2.0 is released, if ever, it may have so many new immature features that people dont like it, or that simply noone is around anymore to play it. Developers, you should really think about a change.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:56:01 pm by Apex » Logged
GamerAndyAlly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:30:51 pm »

Was going to rip your post apart as I am sometimes known to do, but upon thinking about it - I agree with you.

The lack of information is really the most frustrating thing from my perspective - If we had some sort of idea what was going on, what was being worked on, if ANYTHING was being worked on, or if the mod was just stalled indefinately, then I think we could all handle this wait better.

This war is going to end and I'm going to stop playing until theres something new here, I don't need all the fancy features - just the new factions will do.  Hell, I'm not even gonna play the new factions - I'm sticking with werh.  There just needs to be *some* kind of movement.

I don't know that 2.0 "fails" as your thread is flame-baitishly titled, but the dev team is really chasing away their hardcore player base with this information blackout.

So theres no more confusion:
http://wiki.onlinegamers.org/index.php?title=Cry_more_noob%3F

If necessary, I can also provide links a useful definition of Sarcasm
UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:35:14 pm »

On the other side Fldash telling us every week he has private problem's, too much work and no time or is on vacation wouldn't do aswell.
If he makes atleast a statement in the beginning of the next mod, I'll be fine with that.
I don't really think 2.0 will make me that happy anyways.
Just looking forward to the new factions.

or shortcut:
/agreed, but not precise enough in its constructivity

Hey, it's not going to happen
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:40:18 pm »

I stopped looking forward to 2.0 months ago, its just taken to long to be released.

A large majority of the people I enjoyed playing with are either on hiatus or just plain gone and my experiences with a good portion of the newer players leaves much to be desired.

In addition the horror stories about ANTS and the difficulty of finding games has kept me from participating.

I only hang around because I had so much fun with this mod in the past that I have faith that something good will happen eventually. I just don't feel any excitement towards 2.0 anymore, but rather it is just something that will happen eventually.
salan
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:52:42 pm »

I wonder how the gamer reviews would be if they were done now instead of a few months ago?   ModDB declaring EiR to be part of OF was one of the funniest parts of that interview I noticed, even back then.

I will always support this mod, even if I play less and less, but lets be clear, the mod isn't about the game at this point for most of us.  Its about the community and the following that fl-dash managed to put together with the use of ventrillo that has made this mod even slightly successful.

If we, the community, were not so active here this mod would probably not even be workable with OF yet..  I dissapeared after october last year because of a 3 month stall on the game, and came back 2 months into the LAST war finaly because I thought they got their act together.

the one thing we can all attest to is simple: you can not play the same game over and over when there is more content stairing you in the face and yet unreachable.

until a time comes that dash is able to even sit at his computer again, we have what we have..   just be happy the circle balancing has stopped for now, I like the pause on 'patches' rather then constantly just shifting numbers back and forth with no actual game growth.
DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:53:59 pm »

Apex, as you know, I usually hate it when you complain about things like this, but in this case, you're right. Some people, Stuart for example, I haven't seen in weeks, if not months. Players are dropping like flies.  The sad part is, we told you guys we needed more updates a long time ago. We got 1 update. That's it. And now all your hard work is dying off with the player base. I love this mod, I really do, but we don't need drastic changes. We just need progress updates of some sort.

Agreed with Apex's other point, too. 2.0 doesn't have to be such a massive undertaking! We can take it in chunks if it's not ready in it's entirety.

And change the title. 2.0 doesn't "fail." How about "doesn't work"? Nicer? Be careful or you might have Akra cut this thread off.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:56:17 pm by DerangedGerman » Logged

Proud mapper for both OMG and EIR.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 12:58:07 pm »

Apex you are correct in that 2.0 has maybe tried to do too much.

But people don't just leave EIR, they will always check back, even if it is once a month and when they see new content they will come back, it is what happened between i think 1.6 and 1.7. myself and UNkn0wn were the only people on TS at times, until the next version was released and then TS filled back up again, hopefully the same will happen again.
salan
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:07:07 pm »

I think it comes more from people being upset with the lack of commitment by the dash to a community that gave all of their commitment to him.

He might think of us as whiny dumb fucks who speak their mind, and demand a lot ... but ultimately we are here because of him, and this mod, and in turn he is not here for us at all.

people get hurt, hell even I went through a stage where I felt very under-appreciated for the amount of time and effort I put into things for the mod.  I changed my thinking and decided it was the community I was here for, not the devs.  They definitely are not here for me.

I don't care about 2.0, you can't kill my babies anymore, because you don't have the power! I'll continue to make movies and videocasts with stumpster and playing the odd game here or there.  I just wish they would remove the control of ANTS so that I could just play whenever and not have to wait forever for games...
CommanderNewbie Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:23 pm »

He might think of us as whiny dumb fucks who speak their mind, and demand a lot ...

I sure do!

CommanderNewbie - Allied
Prydefalcn - Axis
DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 01:34:28 pm »

Is an update on progress a lot?
Tkaudi
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:47 pm »

He might think of us as whiny dumb fucks who speak their mind, and demand a lot ...

I sure do!

Oo
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:36:06 pm »

Remember guys, they decided never to openly communicate anything to the community other than a final release. So I doubt we will be hearing anything.

DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:52:46 pm »

That doesn't make it any less distressing.
[AB]RikiRude Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 02:26:53 pm »

I agree with this statement, I wasn't aware really of ALL those things they were going to include into 2.0.

I think the community would benefit and be happy with a 1.5 which releases OF factions. Then 1.6 with new resource, then 1.7 with a new platoon purchasing system and so on.

I know Phil does the launcher but I feel like we are being punished with this ANTS system until 2.0 comes out, which as the weeks go by seems to be further from completion.

Coming from a mod team myself I know how often it happens to bite huge chunks of progress at the start of a new cycle and the most important thing is to cut off as many features as necessary to keep close to a release date, or in this case loss of interest from the community or a way of getting more community members.

Because remember integrating OF means that people out there who have OF and not vCoH can play EiR, well at least I assume they would be able to.

My available companies:
Allies:
*AB company going for raid assault
  Infantry going for tank reapers
Axis:
*Defensive going for rocket artillery
  Blitz going for lightning war
  And an experimental Terror company going for subversion consisting of all volks and two King Tigers
demoner Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 02:29:19 pm »

Single resource system will suck.

Platoon buying will suck.

Deployment is fine.

Vet is fine...
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 02:36:26 pm »

very constructive...
GamerAndyAlly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 02:45:30 pm »

Didn't you hear?   Demoner lives in the future and has been playing 2.0 for a couple years now, thats how he knows what sucks and what doesn't.

Hi there demoner! Next time you're going to tell us about the future, use a Spoiler tag!!!
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 02:48:27 pm »

Fldash, return!

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 02:49:40 pm »

I heard the mod got sold to some russian
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 02:50:44 pm »

I heard that Russian was named Dimitri Rascalov.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc