Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 08:37:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pc V Console!  (Read 13275 times)
BradAxis Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: July 20, 2008, 02:38:19 pm »

so i have been a console bitch since i was like 6 and have always liked them and owned basically every console but only recently having a decent computer i am still new to pc gaming i like consoles because i am better at them in terms of FPS's and i suck at them on PC.

discuss.
RikiRude5 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:11:33 pm »

First off let me name all the consoles I have owned or played extensively on and such.

Atari
NES
SNES
Sega (Even had Sega channel for a little bit)
Turbo Grafix
N64
PS1
PS2
XBox360
Wii

Now I've also been playing computer games since Doom. Notable computer games series have been, Doom, Dungeon Keeper, Wolfenstein, Diablo, Battlefield, Warcraft (not including WoW), Company of Heroes, and I'm sure there's more.

I've also been replacing parts and building my own computers since 04.

Now this is what I think. FPS and RTS are the computers domain. No matter how good you get with an xbox controller you won't ever be better then someone of equal skill on a mouse and keyboard, even if it's as simple as things like the ability to bind keys and change dpi on the fly. On the other hand I can't imagine playing any kind of platform or 3rd person game with anything but a controller. So imo, PC is where it is at because all my favorite games are FPS and RTS, it's rare that I find a game that entices me that is either only on console or that I rather play on console. In fact the only games right now for console that I would really enjoy playing are RE5 and God of War 3.

So in conclusion I think both are fine, controller works better for some games mouse and keyboard work better for others. I usually don't side, but when frat like 360 dorks think they are cool I don't hesitate to tell them all the reasons PCs are better =D

"Let me open with a magic trick, I'll make this pencil disappear!" - The Joker

*if anyone knows the exact quote please tell me =)
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:49:49 pm »

Depends on the game.

RTS = PC only

FPS depends. I am a casual shooter fan, IE CoD4 on 360 was a total blast. I like the ability to just hit two buttons and be in game. That and my PC is a POS (soon to be rectified).

Sports gaming is Console only.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »

FPS/RTS sucks on consoles. Sports & racing are pretty much the good console games.
BradAxis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:17:30 pm »

tbh i think fps's suck on pc's considering the lag u get when retards put there settings on max while running windows 95 with 12mb's of ram playing TF2. Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:43 pm »

0.o. When you put your settings on max and lag the crap out of yourself you're never going to lag anyone else because you're on a fucking dedicated server. That only happens in p2p RTS. FPS are incredibly lame on consoles, inaccurate, usually auto-aim, no smooth controls at all. People who play FPS on consoles usually don't realise how much better it is on PC or don't have the PC needed to run the FPS properly. (I'm guessing the second is usually it)
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:58:52 pm »

First, I am pleased that this thread has not descended into a flamewar yet.  Please continue to please me in this regard.

As for the topic, I think one of the biggest strengths of the PC as a platform is moddability.  Any game I buy on a PC has the potential to turn into multiple new, free games.  EiR is a perfect example.  Project Reality is another.  Or just look at the original half-life, for that you had Natural Selection, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, and many many more.  The freedom of the platform gives you that extra content that you will never see on consoles.

Also, I would add that in terms of which genres for which platform, strategy games in general are better on PC due to the input interface of the mouse/keyboard.  Another big advantage of computers is more hard drive space, so that you don't have to break your levels down into tiny chunks because you don't have to constantly load from the disk.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
MasonnDonn Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:07:16 pm »

First, I am pleased that this thread has not descended into a flamewar yet.  Please continue to please me in this regard.

As for the topic, I think one of the biggest strengths of the PC as a platform is moddability.  Any game I buy on a PC has the potential to turn into multiple new, free games.  EiR is a perfect example.  Project Reality is another.  Or just look at the original half-life, for that you had Natural Selection, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, and many many more.  The freedom of the platform gives you that extra content that you will never see on consoles.

Also, I would add that in terms of which genres for which platform, strategy games in general are better on PC due to the input interface of the mouse/keyboard.  Another big advantage of computers is more hard drive space, so that you don't have to break your levels down into tiny chunks because you don't have to constantly load from the disk.

QFT

For me, i use both equally, but I would have to say i prefer the PC. More functionality, usually better games, and better internet playability.

"Never fight with an Idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience."
Newb Company Setup Guide
Official Stupid Picture poster
Quote from: MikeHalo3
IM GONNA V1 YOUR VAGINA!
Tym
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:46:15 pm »

I'm a big pc guy, it's a lot easier for one to obtain pc games, and i'm not talking warez, but being able to dl pc games is a huge plus and also being able to borrow your friends games, install it and then giving it back once u get a no cd crack lol.

my biggest issue with console gaming is the non-patch issue. If the game is screwed on a console, then that's it, they can't fix it. Now the 360 and ps3 have enbabled patching to some degree but not like on the pc.

then there's the hardware issue a lot of people cite but I don't understand the problem there. A lot of times once you upgrade your computer you can run new games even 5 years down the road with low settings, that is if you dont mind the lower textures. The thing is, I'd rather just shell out $100 to upgrade my card than having to buy a new console every 2-3 years that'll cost you from $300-$600 straight out to get the newer stuff.

Heck, I can build you a computer with parts off the Internet that'll run anything on the pc today for about $300-400 and then with that you can run every other game (almost) that's been released, PC has the ultimate "backward compatibility" so you may in the future have to upgrade your vid card or processor but you'll still be able to play all your other old games, console? Gotta shell out money for the new console to play the same game that could be released on PC.

Now, I do like the consoles but the modablilty and just the extra options i get on PC far outweigh what i'd get on a console. Now, I'm going to buy a ps3 this year or next just to play msg4 and other games that i can't get on the PC (even though they could i'm sure) but only after a good price drop (or ps3 gets "slimmed") i just dont find it worth my $$$ to go on and pay so much money to play a few games...
Tym
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 08:47:23 pm »

tbh i think fps's suck on pc's considering the lag u get when retards put there settings on max while running windows 95 with 12mb's of ram playing TF2. Roll Eyes Grin Roll Eyes

you couldn't play tf2 on win95 w/ 12mb of ram lol i think the lag ur getting is the turds that're on ISDN's and cheap dsl
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:12 am »

Console is for those how canīt handle a PC.

PC has so much more to give, so much more oppertunieties, so much more errorīs.

Kolath Offline

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:09:27 am »

"So much more errors."  Well said, thtb.  That is the downside of PCs, the fact that it takes more skill to get it working right.  I've never had a problem with it since I've been around computers my whole life, but to the average person, I can definitely see the attractiveness of having a console that "just works" with minimal configuration.

Dragon93 Offline
17th Airborne Division - Thunder From Heaven
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 05:26:15 am »

MODS!

No one else mentioned that you can mod PC games? I mean, what is this forum for?

Great thing about the PC is the ease of upgrade. Like Tym said, your console fails or gets too old (newer games are no longer made for it) you have to spend loads on a newer one. With a PC, your mouse breaks, buy a new mouse, your graphics card is old and can't handle new stuff, get a new one, no need to buy a whole new computer, just upgrade. Same with modding, game is old and boring, just upgrade. Computers are all about upgrading.

Kolath Offline

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 08:17:35 am »

No one else mentioned that you can mod PC games? I mean, what is this forum for?

Please read whole thread: http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php/topic,6079.msg108736.html#msg108736

Wink

But yes, the incremental hardware upgrade is another nice thing about PCs.  Though, I think consoles do win for price. I definitely see the appeal of a $300 box that does everything you want when you plug it in versus spending $300 for just a video card that you have to configure and download drivers for and install, etc.
RikiRude5 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 01:32:11 pm »

Please read whole thread: http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php/topic,6079.msg108736.html#msg108736

Wink

But yes, the incremental hardware upgrade is another nice thing about PCs.  Though, I think consoles do win for price. I definitely see the appeal of a $300 box that does everything you want when you plug it in versus spending $300 for just a video card that you have to configure and download drivers for and install, etc.

Agreed, another thing to consider is how much a computer does. One person may have a crummy laptop that does everything they need, which only includes writing book reports, checking the internet, and other basic things like that. Why have an expensive desktop, when they can carry their laptop anywhere and do stuff, then just play their 360 or whatever?

Also one thing I didn't consider, is the if you buy a USB controller for your computer you can get the exact same experience you get playing assassins creed on the xbox as you do on your computer.

And another thing that makes computers better. EMULATORS! What could be better then having the entire collection of any given old system right on your hard drive?
LionelAxis
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:24 pm »

While I like consoles well enough...a lot of my multiplayer experiences I prefer on the PC.

Why?

Player limits!

Most games on the console have a lot lower player limits than the PC version and it drives me bonkers.
IrisDane Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 02:16:12 pm »

I find the PC for RTS &TPS. I like the Consoles for FPS games and racing games. Umm..thats about it.
Wildfire
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 02:51:14 pm »

I find the PC for RTS &TPS. I like the Consoles for FPS games and racing games. Umm..thats about it.

FPS games y ou like better on console than PC? wow...TPS are better on  console than on PC imho and that's from playing a TPS right now that's giving me fits cuz of the console scheme lol
IrisDane Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:18 pm »

FPS games y ou like better on console than PC? wow...TPS are better on  console than on PC imho and that's from playing a TPS right now that's giving me fits cuz of the console scheme lol

I'm different okay...  Grin
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:03 pm »

I'm different okay...  Grin

Obviously...i just can't take the control scheme of fps shooters on consoles...unless you're a fan of auto-aim Tongue

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc