Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 04:14:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World In Conflict Beta  (Read 10209 times)
fldash Offline
Founder

« on: June 01, 2007, 01:45:25 pm »

You can grab a key from GameSpot but you have to sign-up with a US address...

http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/world-in-conflict-beta/

We may look at creating a persistent war for it also, so be sure to check it out. 

We are not forgoing COH however as I still feel like COH is a superior game.  Wink
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 02:38:02 pm »

Id hope your focusing on getting CoH persistency in before working on this?  Since its not even out yet Smiley
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:42:16 pm »

COH EIR is the only thing even in development.  It was only briefly mentioned that we may be able to do something like this for both C&C3 and WIC.  Obviously COH is our main priority.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 02:59:23 pm »

I've been playing this for the past 3 days aswell! Figured it mustve been you when I saw a "fldash" on the beta forums.

It's worth checking out indeed, the game looks fantastic but imho aswell CoH is far superior and satisfying at this point. (There's imo still alot of balance issues with the game and I prefer being in control of an armed force rather than just a few units)

Fun none the less and kills time while I wait for 1.7 Wink.
Skunker Offline
Koenigstiger Panzerfuehrer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 07:38:53 am »

Shit, i can't even connect to servers because my wireless connection keeps shorting out. I'm not alone though.

Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 08:59:38 am »

*EDIT* Here is the torrent link: http://beta.massgate.net/download_wic/

And of course the obligatory... what is the ETA on 1.7  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 09:24:29 am by Kolath » Logged

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 12:26:41 pm »

WIC is interesting but I definitely prefer CoH.  Much like Ground Control 2, there is a lot of spamming groups of units that then ride around the map engaging other clusters of units.  While there is tons of cool terrain, it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Very true, not a whole lot of micromanagement or strategy involved.

Just 100% action and some tactics.
Skunker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:37:06 am »

Not a lot of micro? I found that each game of WIC was way more micro intensive than a game of vcoh.  Besides, most of the time micro intensive stuff ends up having some really stupid things. It's more balanced than CoH was, particularly at the beta stage, and its multiplayer lobby system DESTROYS relic online. Tactical aids ROCK, and they are way better designed than those used in CoH (the enemy can't see your smoke and move out of the way Smiley ) By the way, i had to use a third party program to be able to play, but that doesn't bother me (i have to use some internet packet manager that i run on my computer so that my connection doesnt short out when i try to join a game.) Luftwaffle and I played for quite a long time tonight, and even fldash joined in. We'd all probably agree that the biggest problem with the game is stubborn/idiotic teammates that seemingly know how to play but don't.   
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 04:07:41 am »

More micro than CoH? No way.

Ok you're controlling less units and just moving those around but in terms of cover usage, tank control, infantry control, etc there's alot more to it in CoH. Also I find it gets particulary boring playing the same role with the same units each time... and I've played for 4 days and around 100 matches and I'm ranked somewhere near 150. (There's not much to it atm, just buy those role specific units and charge)

Not to mention that the overall feel of CoH is imho more intense as you get complete immersion where as WiC is currently doing a poor job at that.
(Due to plain sounds, etc)

They're both great games but I still prefer CoH above WiC anyday, gameplay wise as the WiC gfx are amazing Wink.
(And WiC is even less RTS than CoH so they're hard to compare)
Skunker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 08:53:30 am »

Ha, if you remember CoH's Beta, you'd know most of the sounds in that were improved and that the millions of bugs that had to do with relic online were being fixed daily. These guys aren't a massive dev house (Despite the name, heh) like relic, the game is going to get better as far as I am concerned. It still is, in my opinion, far more fun than vCoH, and as I said has less of a tendency to lean towards asshat/stupid tactics.

In any case you are right, it is less of a RTS and more of an RTT game where you use tactics (and even then its less tactics and more speed and action). It still is very fun in its own right.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:55:32 am by Skunker » Logged
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 12:04:28 pm »

Maybe its just me but I cant figure out how to get lots of points, Ive tried doing all branches on both sides and I think the most TA's I had ever was 35...  I dont know what I am doing wrong.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 04:48:48 pm »

i feel its too much of the old school cnc, COH is more new and radical with its cover system and all the on the fly tactics the players must do. WIC is using the old build 50 tanks and charge style.
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 05:32:44 pm »

Ok after playing it today with Skunker/Cozmo and Luftwaffle I have some more thoughts on it.

1.  This game is ONLY fun if you have a team that is willing to actually work as a team.  If you dont have a team you will have your ass handed to you, and that is not fun at all.

2.  Air units a IMO overpowered.  Unless you have a support guy (eg Me since that is what I was playing today) playing with noting but Anti Air units (which leaves out the heavy artillery which can deal out lots of damage) the Air game will almost always win.  Armor has to sacrifice having heavy tanks to have anti air tanks to just support them a bit.  You cant have that many Anti Air units on the map at a time (I think the most I had today was 5 heavy anti air and one repair tank).  Which means that if you have only one support player then you are going to be flanked and screwed in more than one way.  If you actually have all the Anti Air in one place then you will rip the hell out of any air units that come at you, after you pop smoke and say a prayer that they dont send in a carpet bomb or some other sort of strategic strike at you.  So in the some regard it is a spam game. 

3.  The overall interface of the game is incredible.  The clan matching system is easy to use and by far superior to the lobby of CoH.  Relic needs to take a page out of WICs book and adapt or creat something similar expecially once they put in arranged ranked matches with the expansion. After Luftwaffle created a clan and got us all invited we were able to challenge/accept a challenge from another clan and got into that game quite easily.  We didnt win nor lose the game because we hit a bug and all of us crashed.  I do think though that we would have beaten them we were more organized than they were.  Almost every game we played together all of us were the top players not only server wise but in our chosen units.

Also whatever a players rank is in the game, really doesnt say that they are either skilled or unskilled. 

4.  The Tactical Abilities (TA) are really powerful, it is just a matter of getting the points to be able to use them.  If you can get a nuke they are game changers.  One thing that is really great is you can actually send teammates the TA points you have and then add it to theirs and get nukes faster.  I was in a game today and one guy dropped 3 nukes it had to have been because his teammates were sending him points since each nuke costs 75 points and they are not easy to get.

Overall the game is good, I dont think it is going to take over my play time of CoH/EIR expecially after persistency is introduced.  It will be a nice change of pace from EIR when it is released but wont be my #1 game.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:35:09 am »

I've played quite a bit of it, too much actually, and it has some nice features, but it's not quite as dynamic as COH in the on the fly tactical thinking department.  One thing that disturbs me is that it already has as a lot more players playing at once (of course it's free beta) than COH has ever had...   

How does game of the year only manage around 1000 people online at a time... ARGH!
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »

WIC has stolen Skunker and luft from us!!!!!! all they think about is WIC, yesterday there was enough for a 2v2 but skunker and luft wouldn't leave their beloved WIC!!
Skunker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 01:08:26 pm »

simple: vcoh blows. Too many imbalanced things, too micro intensive, and too many things that are just plain cheap that you can do to your enemy.

LOL, WiC hasn't stolen me from EiR. I enjoy EiR but i'm waiting on 1.7 to resume hardcore playing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 01:10:04 pm by Skunker » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 02:43:40 pm »

We all do, and although the wait may seem endless, it'll all be alright in the end. And WiC runs till the 19th so by then 1.7 will be in sight.

But waiting on things sometimes makes the joy of finally getting it even greater.

(And I got senior finals next week, for the coming 2 weeks, so it's healthy for me Smiley)
Skunker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 04:21:32 pm »

It isn't for me, I have finals this week and I'm totally addicted to WiC.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 09:56:16 am »

i take bk my dislike for WIC im happy now because seem to always get best armour and in the top 3 every game!! Tongue  39th Guards MARCH FORTH TO VICTORY!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc