Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:27:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU Temp  (Read 8811 times)
Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:32 pm »

I have a P4 socket 775 3.0 ghz processer.. at idle its running around 40c... but when i play coh it jumps to mid 60s... i have been lately having my pc shut off on me. so iam thinking its gettin too hot, this just started happening, the pc stays on alot, so does a fan\heatsink go bad after sometime??? should i just take it off and put more of the lube on?Huh or get a new heatsink?

Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:58:37 pm »

1. Fans get dirty and start to get slower. Heatsinks don't get old.
2. Mid 60s is a little high for an Intel Processor.
3. The temperature can also be affected by dirty case fans, or it just being generally hotter in the room =)
4. If you do decide to play with it, make sure you don't use too much "lube". You generally need a VERY small amount.
scrapking Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:05:40 am »

Check the mounting hardware for the fan / heatsink.  They can corrode, break, bend, over time - essentially no longer holding the heatsink flush against the CPU.  Take the fan out and clean the dust buildup off of the blades.

I'm pretty sure that you have a Prescott CPU, which not only does run on the hot side - but still 60C is too hot, but will automatically start eliminating CPU processing cycles in an effort to reduce load, and therefore heat stress.  As a fail safe, the system will shut itself off... so your problem is as bad as it gets without actually killing your system outright.  And that can still happen, so take this seriously.

If you decide to replace the fan (and you probably should), replace the heatsink (there are newer types with copper alloys & contacts for better heat induction), as well as the mounting hardware. 

If you have a case with a side mounted fan (which would line up directly over the CPU fan), and ideally some form of internal ductwork, it is vital that the case be properly closed while operating at all times.  If not - you may find that it runs somewhat cooler with the side off.

You can get a whole fan / heatsink assembly for like $25 that will vastly outperform the stock intel kits.
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:24:56 am »

Ok, I may have been wrong about the heatsinks apparently Smiley I havn't bought a new computer in 4 years, and back then the mountings were freaking indestructible =)

I did forget that heatsinks can also get dirty though.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:01:34 am »

40 in idle 60 in stress it's normal for P4... I had ultra shitty Pentium D it had in idle 50-60C

In stress around 80.

60 It's safe temperature...
Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:06:40 am »

okay, some say 60 is too high, others say it isnt lol.. its not a stock intel heatsink and fan either, its a coolermaster thingy, had it about a year, i do leave the pc for long periods of time..   i have the side cover off too..
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:00:15 am »

I also agree that it´s between the "normal" temps for a Prescott based CPU :p, try cleaning all the fans/case and see what happens..

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:56:37 am »

Draken, Pentium D processors really shouldn't operate above 60. Obviously it wont die immediately if you exceed it, but it is quite impressive if yours didn't give you problems after long periods of 80 degrees. BSODs and such.

Prescott P4 CPUs are theoretically fine until you reach 70, but it's far from perfect for them. It wont die from it, since it'll most likely shutdown before reaching real problematic temperatures, but it's a bad sign.

Anyway, If you are not overclocking, it shouldn't even get close to 60. If the case is open and the fan is working properly, you may want to think about taking the heatsink off, cleaning both heatsink and processor (very carefully, there are guides on the internet), and put it back on again. The thermal paste might not be doing its job.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:59:35 am by Phil » Logged
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:15 am »

Phil... Prescott based CPUs are known for being the less efficient processors out there ..., same goes for Pentiums D (2x Prescott), they heat up like crazy and have a shitty performance for the power needs they demand.

there are guides on the internet), and put it back on again. The thermal paste might not be doing its job.

yep, more than likely that is the problem, imo.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:09:23 am by Killer344 » Logged
Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:12 am »

Draken, Pentium D processors really shouldn't operate above 60. Obviously it wont die immediately if you exceed it, but it is quite impressive if yours didn't give you problems after long periods of 80 degrees. BSODs and such.

Prescott P4 CPUs are theoretically fine until you reach 70, but it's far from perfect for them. It wont die from it, since it'll most likely shutdown before reaching real problematic temperatures, but it's a bad sign.

Anyway, If you are not overclocking, it shouldn't even get close to 60. If the case is open and the fan is working properly, you may want to think about taking the heatsink off, cleaning both heatsink and processor (very carefully, there are guides on the internet), and put it back on again. The thermal paste might not be doing its job.

so at idle all morning it has been at 38C... when browsing the net and watching videos it goes up to high 40s and low 50s..

Start COH 60s... FAN works fine, put hand in there it feels cool to feel the air and doesnt feel overly hot... so iam going to take off the heat sink, clean it and the cpu, put some more thermal paste and put back together.
Phil Offline
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Phil's fkin batman!
Phil also owns the moon.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:12 am »

Phil... Prescott based CPUs are known for being the less efficient processors out there ..., same goes for Pentiums D (2x Prescott), they heat up like crazy and have a shitty performance for the power needs they demand.

I know they suck, I know they heat like crazy. I also know that they should not be allowed to run at temperatures above 65 degrees.

Just don't go overboard with the paste. It's surprising how little you need =)
Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:51:13 am »

I know they suck, I know they heat like crazy. I also know that they should not be allowed to run at temperatures above 65 degrees.

to think of it, i think when i installed it over a year ago i didnt put any paste on? the heatsink had some silver stuff on it so i supposed that was it?
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:51:55 am »

Prescott? More like pres-hot. Those things are hot enough to toast bread, almost as bad as the initial temps coming off the RV770s...

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:23 am »

to think of it, i think when i installed it over a year ago i didnt put any paste on? the heatsink had some silver stuff on it so i supposed that was it?

Yes, it was.... but it has a life period... if it was "silver" I´d say about 1 year :p.

Try to get some Artic Silver 5, or MX-2 if you can, those can endure enough time until you change your pc again Smiley .
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:52:19 am »

@ Phil

I always overclock my hardware, CPU. GPU and memory.

And 60C is not high for processor, I heard that high temp for CPU lowers it's life for max 2-3 years, to 4-5 in theory... in practice  I got one 10 years old PC still working But I guess most of us change PC every 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:58:05 am by Draken » Logged
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

*enjoys 45 degrees Celsius AMD 3800+ single core(Venice, I think?) on stress*
^^

Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 12:38:02 pm »

ok, so i see say to put but a small dab of the paste and then just put the heatsink on the cpu.. from images this left a bit of the heatsink bottom and the cpu top without any paste?

others say put alittle on the heatsink bottom and use a razorblade to spread it out along the bottom of the heatsink, so the entire thing is covered...

i got the cleaning stuff down.. but?
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 12:51:31 pm »

there are guides on the internet), and put it back on again. The thermal paste might not be doing its job.

yep, more than likely that is the problem, imo.

I had a pentium D that survived at 80' for quite some time.. nothing I could do would lower the bastard.  finally a power surge hit and fried it all!

Scyn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 12:58:04 pm »

Never seen my CPU higher than 39C, Though the computer I bought from Alienware some like 6 years ago? That CPU melted and started a small fire.

God is a genetically induced obsession that we interpret in such a way as to maintain our obedience.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 01:03:20 pm »

Never seen my CPU higher than 39C, Though the computer I bought from Alienware some like 6 years ago? That CPU melted and started a small fire.

U ever opened that PC?

People are scared to loose guaranty so they don't touch their PCs, and have problems like that

I lost 2 PCs thanks to dust ;-).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc