Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:13:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]

[May 26, 2022, 10:13:22 am]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General balance & design  (Read 22987 times)
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2011, 04:21:28 pm »

Their price however I think is more than adequate, once the AB doctrine comes in I'm sure you'll have to swallow your words about dropping them to 260 Mp :p

I think I felt in tingle in my pants when I read that.

also it could be quite effective to spam nilla rifles, just steal all the support weapons you overwhelm =P

and yes, i was sad when i came back and saw carbines gone (or what ever it was, i think it got renamed if i remember correctly.) =(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:31:46 pm by RikiRude » Logged

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
Firesparks Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »

lol unit cap. failed to actually balance the unit so just slap a hard unit cap on it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:47:48 pm by Firesparks » Logged

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925
SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:09 pm »

Its pretty hilarious how I've become the new defender of a slower gameplay, but I'm open to both ideas, just like I always was open to both playing axis and allies. When I see gameplay and availability confining people to 1 choice, it upsets me because the pretense is that its supposed to be open and free. Right now the doctrine buffs are too tempting to avoid textbook spam companies, forcing people to get AAA BBB CCC companies instead of OILABDF companies. Instead the game should force them to make the best out of the units that their doctrine buffs, but still bring a variety of units because of restrictions against just buying 8 m10s or 25 riflemen.
I agree… If you have buff on unit Y and Z the guess what units people are going to spam? I have said this a million times before: The only way to balance a buff on a unit is to price it like an upgrade on each individual unit. This will also keep balance between low level companies and high level companies since each upgrade is another tactical option to spend resources on and not just stronger units for the same price.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:44 pm »

Currently only some units are required to purchase their buffs, its not clear how they decided which upgrades require being purchased and which don't...

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

I have said this a million times before: The only way to balance a buff on a unit is to price it like an upgrade on each individual unit.
However we have opted to balance 'buffs' by balance of power between said ability (Tier 1 - 4 etc) which is what skews balance when:
A. Tier abilities are unbalanced
B. Company levels are different - like you said here:
This will also keep balance between low level companies and high level companies since each upgrade is another tactical option to spend resources on and not just stronger units for the same price.
So each companys buffs should balance each other out - either in utility or strengthening units in some way.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
EIRRMod Offline

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »

Currently only some units are required to purchase their buffs, its not clear how they decided which upgrades require being purchased and which don't...
Upper Doctrine tree or lower doctrine tree.

Upper doctrine tree should not require a purchase, while the lower tree should.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:13 pm »

Another thing that would be greatly beneficial, is if everything was a upgrade. It would be bothersome to code but it would assure that everything could be priced correctly.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »

This is rectified in the grindless system, anyway. (Everyone will be more or less same level)
SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »

Another thing that would be greatly beneficial, is if everything was a upgrade. It would be bothersome to code but it would assure that everything could be priced correctly.
Excatly – A King Tiger I not superior unit in comparison to the P4, it’s just a different way of spending you resources. A fully upgraded P4 with skirts, MG, smoke, repair and HEAT  would just be another tactical choice.
SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »

However we have opted to balance 'buffs' by balance of power between said ability (Tier 1 - 4 etc) which is what skews balance when:
A. Tier abilities are unbalanced
B. Company levels are different - like you said here:So each companys buffs should balance each other out - either in utility or strengthening units in some way.
Yes and this system promotes spam and creates huge differences between different level companies…
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »

Well levels are fixed by the grindless version. But without a change, you'll still be able to just fap out as many doctrine buffed units of one type, which is flawed
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »

If every doctrine choice was a purchasable upgrade, you would have less units but more powerful ones than a fresh company. But the question is if that's beneficial? I don't see much point in this kind of system, people like myst prefer lots of cheap units because they are more forgiving if something unforeseen happens.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2011, 06:30:13 pm »

Well levels are fixed by the grindless version. But without a change, you'll still be able to just fap out as many doctrine buffed units of one type, which is flawed

Which is why the new doctrine design generally focusses on more than just 1 - 2 units, unlike in the old Tongue

If you had to pay for every buff, we'd have to make the buffs a lot more powerful, and then things would just get retarded. It'd be a balance nightmare.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:34 pm »

Why? Everything would be paid for for all players
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2011, 06:33:36 pm »

At least you could make it apply to T3 and T4s. Generally its the spam of units buffed by these that cause trouble.

If every doctrine choice was a purchasable upgrade, you would have less units but more powerful ones than a fresh company. But the question is if that's beneficial? I don't see much point in this kind of system, people like myst prefer lots of cheap units because they are more forgiving if something unforeseen happens.

At least there would be a choice. I think a lot of players have ideas for both allied and axis company's of "high quality" which could content with Wall Mart guys.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:35:39 pm by Smokaz » Logged
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:00 pm »

yea the new doctrines just make every unit better, so you might as well just buff them and not even bother with the doctrines tbh...
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »

No they don't  Roll Eyes
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:13 pm »

T4's as first choice Cheesy

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
EIRRMod Offline

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2011, 07:07:14 pm »

Why? Everything would be paid for for all players
You would still encounter power differences due to utility bonuses (such as +pop abilities or reduced timers) vs a few or many units gaining upgrade abilities for purchase.
So from a balancing perspective, One is variable (how many units they can theoretically 'buff') vs What is a utility bonus worth?

Currently, both are considered non-variable, and then limited by current costs + pool restrictions limiting how many of those units they can 'spam'.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2011, 07:24:47 pm »

I think this could be solved by utility bonuses like popcap, capping time, call-in time, builidng times, you know, the axuiliary, not offensive buffs, being the top doctrine trees.

Stuff like tank reapers, triple bars, invisible assault, marksmen etc

All should be upgrades you pay for
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc