Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 07:24:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map rotation suggestion  (Read 7570 times)
Computer991 Offline
Donator

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:23 am »

Soon.

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 07:29:33 am »

I agree 1000% to this type of thing.

In the pretty blue world where everyone loves each other and all is shared equally among the masses and everyone's task in life is to make another better, we could all agree on the map we want to play and no one would build map dependent companies.

However, in the real world.........

It would be really nice to see this mod become about skill and tatics rather than what can I spam, exploit, and abuse to ensure I have a massive advantage over my competitor. You know, you can't win by out smarting your opponent on the field, so  just make sure you have an advantage before you get there.

Random game mods and random maps would take this game back to being a game of  "in game" skills. It would not be limiting by any stretch of the imagination. It would only help people expand their abilities at micro, game skills, and tactics.

I think offering a carrot to people to play a map is for babies tbfh. What is this "here's a little treat if you try this map" bullshit anyway.
I say, Man up and learn to build a company that can handle any map or battle condition. Learn the skill of combined arms and the ability to change up on the move.

Or we could all just hold hands, sing kumbaya and hand out little treats for playing the special selected map of the day. While we are at it, let's dress this forum up with little flowers so we become comfortable with the little pussies we cater to here.

Glad to see you agree Tank, please use your presence to get at least a launcher mode in the game where the launcher simply DECIDES the map after "Supplied" phase.  But like we both point out, it has to be enforced. You can then not complain about playing a certain map when you joined a game where this mode was evident from the start. Screw the carrot, the game needs to simply fail to play out if the wrong map is selected.

A lot of average stompers around here (germany4ever) do not understand what makes up competitive play. Go look at Automatch in vCOH, something that was highly competitive at 1v1 and 2v2AT.

In auto, You needed to know each map, you could deselect a pair of them but there was still different maps to prepare for and know the cappign order of.

EIRR has overtone of "custom game" to it with some players already having planned out what to start with, which map to play and what to specialize in. The ability to adapt on the fly is less needed when people have everything pre-planned to a very predictable game.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:31:52 am by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 07:32:17 am »

A lot of average stompers around here (germany4ever) do not understand what makes up competitive play. Go look at Automatch in vCOH, something that was highly competitive at 1v1 and 2v2AT.

Err, let's not forget that vCOH competitive play revolved around angoville and semois for a VERY long time, since there were only 4 maps and you could disable 2. And even today it's still only 4 - 5 maps you need to 'know' and play...

That's a whole different cake than the 40+ maps eir has. I don't think many people build their company with a specific map in mind, bar the usual flak88 users who will persist in getting to play on an 'open' map.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:34 am »

Which is a unfair comparison considering relic was picky about what maps to include in auto and in the game in general so tons of maps never say online play. Relic almost didnt want new maps, this is proved by history. With our vast map list, we have no such excuse. If a map is in the list its meant to be playable. Thank you for trying, come again.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 07:37:24 am »

Except that you know, only 5 or so maps generate 75% of all games played. People have the option and they don't play some of the other maps, for a reason one would assume. If they don't want to play those maps now, they sure as hell won't enjoy being forced into playing them.

You should have seen the outrage when map selection in automatch for 1vs1 temporarily forced people to leave (the then still sucky) sturzdorf open (because the other 2 options were even worse). Relic wasn't necessarily picky, it was mainly the community that was, and in this mod it's exactly the same...  Even if the maps are supposedly sound and meet all the criteria, it doesn't mean everyone will enjoy playing on all maps. (Nor can we or should we expect them to)

That being said, I'm all for frequent 'scenarios' with the occasional 'forced map' and an enticement program.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:40:34 am by Unkn0wn » Logged
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 07:41:09 am »

Allies choose map.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 07:43:30 am »

Except that you know, only 5 or so maps generate 75% of all games played. People have the option and they don't play some of the other maps, for a reason one would assume. If they don't want to play those maps now, they sure as hell won't enjoy being forced into playing them.

You should have seen the outrage when map selection in automatch for 1vs1 temporarily forced people to leave (the then still sucky) sturzdorf open (because the other 2 options were even worse). Relic wasn't necessarily picky, it was mainly the community that was, and in this mod it's exactly the same...  Even if the maps are supposedly sound and meet all the criteria, it doesn't mean everyone will enjoy playing on all maps. (Nor can we or should we expect them to)

That being said, I'm all for frequent 'scenarios' with the occasional 'forced map' and an enticement program.

Blablah, you fail to catch the central point here, relic didn't even include a large amount of maps in online rotation. For them it was a huge fucking deal to patch in new maps.

But hey if you think it is serving any cause to allow the more tenacious or lame behaviour regarding map selection to still enjoy its unregulated state, be my guest.

And even in your example with sturfzdorf and of course follow by later on, there was some element of randomness. When you autoed as british you couldnt be 99% sure to get a map that was awesome for you.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:46:01 am by Smokaz » Logged
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:45 am »

We did for a while, but people aren't very reliable.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 09:48:48 am »

Enticement programs are complete bullshit.

If you have to dangle a carrot for someone to do something, then you are doing it wrong. If you are doing it right, people want to participate.

If I had to bribe people to buy my homes or my designs I would consider myself a complete failure. Instead, I offer a superior product and people come to me, play by my rules and pay for it.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
8thRifleRegiment Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:16 am »

people are way too QQ when it comes to picking games, it drags out waiting for games and makes the new guys all like "wtf are these idiots argueing about, i just wanna play" a map rotation wouldnt be a bad idea, it gets all maps played and reduces the amount of specialized companies and spices up the gameplay for differant factions each time the roation changes. RTC one time for wehr or st come dumont for brits next time

I will never forget the rage we enduced together

Ohh Good, AmPm can pay in Doubloons.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc