Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:33:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My try on a Map ;D  (Read 6704 times)
UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: August 23, 2008, 03:41:36 pm »

Base Layout;  I've made some progress on it allready, but I just don't know where to find the pictures made with the WB screenshot funtion...

It's meant to be a 2v2 map, yet I know it's a little too small, so I try to go into as much detail as possible even outside the playing area so I can later stamp it over to a bigger size.
It would work as a 1v1 Map for vCoH, aswell.

Suggestions on the rough layout?

Hey, it's not going to happen
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:55:38 pm »

You could check under "C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\ScreenShots"

Or you can just hit your 'PrtScn' button and then paste it into an image editing program, for something simple open 'Paint' then paste in there and save as a .jpg file.

It's hard to determine anything from paint drawings, if you want to be taken serious and given serious feedback then get a rough draft of your map done and take screen-shots of it so people can judge it.

Now, the map from the image you posted gives me the feeling that the city wont see any action due to the nature of EIR games.  If your layout is an accurate representation of the map in question then I would say you need to be more specific and define any 'Base Layout' much better and keep key features to the map focused more towards the center if you want the map to support the EIR game-style properly.

Else its just a farm on a hill with a field and some ditches.  Undecided 

Not trying to discourage, just being honest.

Life or Lack There Of
UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »

Well, actually, thats the kind of feedback I mean .
I think if I increase the map in size a little, east and west side, and put the spawns to north(east) and south(west)  it could work quite well (dunno about spawnartillery, though) Cheesy .

Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 04:23:10 pm »

Just take into account the size of other maps that you have played and work your idea around that, keep in mind you want to avoid setting up key map features too close to the spawn unless you don't care that those areas are avoided.

Also take into account spawn artillery, which in turn depends on the number of sectors from a spawn point.  If you have a small map with only a few sectors then the spawn artillery range will be huge, if you have a map with a decent amount of sectors then the spawn artillery range should be reasonable.  I might be wrong however since I haven't kept up on many actually in-game changes for months.
M4 Sherman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 06:47:28 pm »

Unlimited to take pictures in world builder press ctrl+f4 or go up to the tab VIEW and go down to take screenshot. Wink Then go to the link lolto mentioned.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way round, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.
Adolf Hitler
UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »

Overlooked the screenshot folder Grin 

The playarea will most likely expand over the actual borders of the map present atm.

The screenshot is about a week old, but I'm a perfectionist, and I can work 4 hours (2 days) on getting the correct angle for a fence to match the post at it's end.

MY main problem:
The ground is a mixture of Grass Base and Grass5  (or was it 4?) 
It's far too yellow now, but if I take Grass base out, it's far too green.

What should I do?  I'm atm searching for yellow splats, as I have 5 or 6 Tiles, and 4 should absolutely do (though on such a small map, performance should be ok).

How to see what size my map has atm?

Is it possible to turn objects upside down?
(I know most objects don't have a subside, but things like vehicle wrecks.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:26:34 pm »

The ground is a mixture of Grass Base and Grass5  (or was it 4?)
It's far too yellow now, but if I take Grass base out, it's far too green.

What should I do?  I'm atm searching for yellow splats, as I have 5 or 6 Tiles, and 4 should absolutely do (though on such a small map, performance should be ok).

Use grass mixed, the 2nd is by far one of the best.

Same size it had at the start when you had to enter the size... Wink
Make sure your map size is significantly larger (about 256 on both values) than your playable area.

You can only rotate and move up and down.

Your roads look really unnatural, needs more splats & splines.
Opacity (Splats)/Transparancy (Splines) is your best friend.
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 01:55:08 pm »

There are only a few preset flipped vehicles that you can use, as for turning over other ones, refer to Unknown's post.

Mix, match, experiment, if this is your first map then try everything and do your best to make it somewhat consistent.

You could move your town towards the center point of the map along the road if you want it to have any action else it's just scenery mostly.

Unknown covered everything else pretty much.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 01:56:52 pm »

You can look in the [yourmapnamehere].info file (just open it in notepad).  The playable area is listed about the middle of the file should be two lines that say like 512 and 256 or some such.

(I know most objects don't have a subside, but things like vehicle wrecks.

While is not possible to turn object upsidedown, it is possible to change their verticle orientation.  If you place any object on a slope and hit the "autoalign" button the object will snap to the hillside.  Using this method you could for example take a vertical telephone pole object and make it stick out at a 90 degree angle. It is a bit fussy to play with but you can great some interesting variations using this method.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:14:03 pm »

The only problem with this, Kolath, is that objects retain their impassible space.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:06:26 pm »

True, so it depends a lot on the object.  Though you could place some blockers to edit the impassibility depending on the object.  There are workarounds. 
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:07:38 pm »

Damn the world builder for limiting our mapping abilities!  Angry

We demand a flipping tool in the world builder!
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:13:34 pm »

I'd say there's more urgent things than that :p. Be creative!
UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 12:24:45 pm »

Sorry to dig this out Wink

As my motivation on a single project often drops rapidly, I've decided to work on the concept for the next map while finishing this one.

So, another question to turning objects with hills, what does it mean if they retain their impassability?
So if a pole sticks out of a building the impass is actually in the wall, and infantry can walk trhough it?
And if an object hovers in midair (that would be hillarious, but just to understand it) the impass will still be on the ground? So you could basically stick a pole between two buildings and units can traverse below it? Is that correct? Or does it just change the impass aswell and that was unpopular?

Just tried it! Thats awesome!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:31:10 pm by UnLimiTeD » Logged
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »

Good luck, hope your map does not end like mine - never played or tested by anyone besides myself. Didnt look all that bad imo :I

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/Thtb/relic00013-1.jpg?t=1220907499

UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 03:34:28 pm »

Got a warcraftmap since november 2004.
Thats the way it is, most work won't make it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc